Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
Nothing against Hurley but how many times have NBA teams foolishly thought a successful college coach could step right in and have the wherewithal to immediately figure out NBA coaching and talent acquisition. Not only has he never coached, he’s never played in the league.

This sucks.

Although I doubt he’s their only target. Lots of smoke with Redick.

Hopefully Danny is doing to them what Cooper Flagg and a hundred other 5* recruits have done to us.

Redick never made sense to me. Certainly it would be a lebron hire, but seemed like a stretch for someone w 0 experience to turn the lakers around in the short timeframe they have

Reaction Score
Owes us nothing.
He deserves to go. He resurrected our dead program and made us not just relevant but back to back champions.
In life we move on both ways.
Good luck coach if you go or not, in Hurley we always trust.

Reaction Score
This gives espn something to talk about for a week. And on all radio tv web platforms. At least it’s Uconn related ( the only time they usually talk anything Uconn and that’s not being bias). I hope Hurley decides to stay.

Reaction Score
if Woj is tweeting it then there must be some real information there, but I still have a hard time believing Hurley would jump to LA. He must know that Lebron runs the ship there and Lebron won’t cede total control to him, and Hurley needs total buy-in for his system

Lakers also need a veteran NBA HC since they’re running out of years for Lebron/AD, not sure why they keep going after first time NBA coaches (Ham, Hurley, there were JJ Redick rumors recently too)

Reaction Score
Lots of mixed emotions. Happy for Danny if that’s what he wants. He surely has earned it. Objectively, I don’t see Danny’s approach working in the NBA and I do think it won’t take long before he misses the college atmosphere. I guess you don’t know unless you try and for him personally, the time is now. For us, we have to keep Luke and Kimani. Make one of them head coach and the other the highest paid assistant in college.

Reaction Score
not like this. Hurley the lakers only REAL target, and want him to dictate the direction of the franchise and install his system and culture.
This is what I think it's just extremely silly. His system and culture in the NBA is basically impossible.

We're talking about grown men professionals whose own style isn't changing because crazy Dan Hurley says so. I'm sure he can implement some of his sets in the NBA but his culture and style is not changing pros. He'd more likely have to change his own style more than the players and the organization. We've seen this movie before... Hard nosed college coach goes to the pros and has to completely change his approach because they aren't 18-20 year old kids anymore and honestly they usually flame out.

It's the damn Los Angeles Lakers so you always pick up the phone... But anyone thinking Hurley would be anywhere near the same style he's been at Uconn in the NBA is crazy.

Reaction Score
has to be some GM/agent smokescreen stuff, maybe targeted towards jj redick, who has been LA's most visible target for months now.

the lakers seem like a pretty bad fit for hurley, either way.

Reaction Score
UConn not being in a P5 conference might be one reason he leaves. From the ESPN.com article:

“The pursuit of Hurley comes on the 20th anniversary of the Lakers trying to hire then-Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski to a record-breaking contract in 2004. Krzyzewski elected to remain with the Blue Devils, but the climate has dramatically changed in college athletics. The demands of NIL fundraising for non-power football schools like UConn are an especially relentless grind -- and expected to become even more difficult.”

Btw, the article makes it seem like he’s almost certainly leaving. The Lakers and Danny have had continuing and ongoing discussions, and they’ve discussed strategy with the key players like LeBron and AD.

Reaction Score
Pop makes 16 a year. So how does Hurley turn down 7 years 140? It won't change his life one bit, but that ain't chump change.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
This is what I think it's just extremely silly. His system and culture in the NBA is basically impossible.

We're talking about grown men professionals whose own style isn't changing because crazy Dan Hurley says so. I'm sure he can implement some of his sets in the NBA but his culture and style is not changing pros. He'd more likely have to change his own style more than the players and the organization. We've seen this movie before... Hard nosed college coach goes to the pros and has to completely change his approach because they aren't 18-20 year old kids anymore and honestly they usually flame out.

It's the damn Los Angeles Lakers so you always pick up the phone... But anyone thinking Hurley would be anywhere near the same style he's been at Uconn in the NBA is crazy.
Hurley is a perfect modern hoops coach and has proven himself to be eminently adaptable

Reaction Score
Average tenure of an NBA coach is about 3 to 4 years. Look at the last 5 Lakers head coaches: 2 years, 2 years, 3 years, 3 years, 2 years. If Hurley decides to go, I wish him good luck, but I don't think the NBA and the West coast lifestyle is a good fit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom