Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

awy

Reaction Score
with the full blown commercialization of college sports why not have a "marriage" of programs. luke can be like kevin young doing time in both organizations, and uconn gets a lot of nba cred and marketing potential. it could work out in the end depending on how they run this.

Reaction Score

Sounds like the Lakers are very serious about their pursuit of Hurley, but Woj does make it clear that nothing is etched in stone yet.

Still, hard to deny the appeal of perhaps the most prestigious coaching job in all of basketball. Hurley is a UConn legend forever regardless of how this plays out, but would really love to keep him here awhile longer.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
UConn not being in a P5 conference might be one reason he leaves. From the ESPN.com article:

“The pursuit of Hurley comes on the 20th anniversary of the Lakers trying to hire then-Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski to a record-breaking contract in 2004. Krzyzewski elected to remain with the Blue Devils, but the climate has dramatically changed in college athletics. The demands of NIL fundraising for non-power football schools like UConn are an especially relentless grind -- and expected to become even more difficult.”

Btw, the article makes it seem like he’s almost certainly leaving. The Lakers and Danny have had continuing and ongoing discussions, and they’ve discussed strategy with the key players like LeBron and AD.

That P5 stuff is utter BS. He just had the chance to go to the SEC and basically name his price.

Reaction Score
Dan agent will say, take that Laker meeting. He just added another 10 mil to any contract he was going to get.

Now the biggest problem here is Dan has already said on multiple occasions that he one day aspires to be an NBA coach. 5 years, 10 years etc. We'll, that time could be right now.

If LeBron was 35 and not closer to 40, this would be a done deal.

Reaction Score
Well Dan's been saying for at least the last 2 years that Kimani and Luke deserve to be a head coach, maybe he can make that happen
for one of em'......;)

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
car sliding GIF

Reaction Score
I can’t imagine Andrea being happy in LA, or Hurley being happy coaching those Prima Donnas. But, if the bag is big enough - and let’s not fool ourselves, this is the lakers - this could be bad.
Anyone would be happy with an 8 figure income in LA

But I still don’t see it happening. How much more could they offer compared to UK? Hurley has all the security he could want at UConn whereas in LA he would have a 3ish year leash.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Well he kind of warned everyone on the podcast earlier this week. I can’t see how he would turn down the offer and the opp to coach one of the greatest players who ever lived. And one of the top two pro teams in history.

I guess some things are too good to last. What stinks is how it impacts the young men who stayed and especially Alex.

This is the worst news I have woken up to in some time.

Alas let’s prove it to the world that we can win a chip with four different coaches.

We can also all say it won’t impact our feelings toward Hurley, but if we fall of the cliff of the college basketball landscape again in a year at least we won’t have to have anymore threads about comparing Calhoun and Hurley as to who was the greatest coach in UConn history.

Reaction Score
I'm assuming this is smoke to get a huge contract from UConn. Delaying the heartbreak.
This is my assumption too.
Woj says both sides have Been talking “since the beginning,” yet Karaban comes back and Hurley is doing uconn media appearances again, throwing up 3 fingers everywhere he goes. Odd timing. I’m sure Hurleys agent is doing a damn fine job, but curious how serious that means Hurley is about it vs. putting himself in the best scenario negotiation wise.

Reaction Score
I'm assuming this is smoke to get a huge contract from UConn. Delaying the heartbreak.
Top NBA coaches earn $15 to $16 million which no college will match so I think the decision comes down to coaching in the NBA or college.

Reaction Score
Owes us nothing.
He deserves to go. He resurrected our dead program and made us not just relevant but back to back champions.
In life we move on both ways.
Good luck coach if you go or not, in Hurley we always trust.
If he goes, along with key coaches, I can envision the doomsday scenario of a mass exit from the highly recruited roster.

Reaction Score
I’m sure AD Dave knows who the mastermind is (Luke or Kimani). That guy needs to be retained.

I didn’t expect him to leave, but this wasn’t on the radar. Lakers and 15-20 mill per year is something else. I’d consider that just because of the generational money.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom