Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
I can’t imagine Andrea being happy in LA, or Hurley being happy coaching those Prima Donnas. But, if the bag is big enough - and let’s not fool ourselves, this is the lakers - this could be bad.
Delusional take. Being rich in LA is a different type of life. She can always fly back to Jersey Shore.

Reaction Score
WFAN morning guys saying it's a done deal if Woj reported it. Drove me crazy listening. Throwing numbers of $20 million per year.... Hard to picture DH as an LA guy or working for Buss. NBA jobs will be there. If he goes, I feel bad for AK for coming back. What happens with LM? Does DH take his staff?

Reaction Score
What a gut punch if it is executed- would imagine the contract will be around 150M- with all this said- from all the information- would say this 50/50 in happening…..if it does happen will be interesting to see if Luke & Kimani follow or if one of them stays to become the head coach.

Literally just conducted a meeting with 50 employees at work with my UConn Basketball hoodie on.

Reaction Score
WFAN morning guys saying it's a done deal if Woj reported it. Drove me crazy listening. Throwing numbers of $20 million per year.... Hard to picture DH as an LA guy or working for Buss. NBA jobs will be there. If he goes, I feel bad for AK for coming back. What happens with LM? Does DH take his staff?
Woj says in the article it’s not etched in stone yet and the UConn draw to go back is still very strong.

If I’m DH, I’m waiting another year or two until Thibs gets fired….that’s a young core to be excited about

Reaction Score
Really happy UConn and Benedict waited to give Hurley a new contract. Great strategy
I’ve been wondering what the hold up is on this for a bit now, maybe he’s using this as leverage

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Well, if they're willing to make the massive, long term offer it will be difficult to turn down as it will be life altering money

The few things in our favor would be:
  • The Lakers would require basically a full rebuild as they are LeBron, AD (neither has much left) and not a lot else.
  • The Nuggets should still be a contender for quite a few years.
  • The Wolves and Thunder are built to be very good for a long time.
  • The Spurs are very close to approaching, at least in young talent, the Wolves and Thunder.
  • The bulk of what Dallas has still has quite a few years left.
  • There are three teams, also with short windows that still have a lot of overall talent (Dubs, Suns, Clippers)
  • There are two young teams with a good amount of talent that may be able to take the next step (Kings, Pelicans).
Thing he needs to factor into the equation:
  • What life will be like early on when competing for titles won't be realistic.
  • How easily he'll be able to install the culture he professes.
  • How willing NBA players, looking to secure contracts that will be 3-4 times what DH willl be making (even with massive deal for a coach) would be to make the extra pass when they believe they need stats sufficient to be named first team all NBA to qualify for certain increases.
  • How willing a team of NBA players will be willing to buy in on him if there is an extended period without much success (which will likley occur until a full roster is built).
In full candor, I hope he stays but I won't question him for taking the Lakers job as a) it will be life altering money and b) while NBA jobs will be available for him in the future, an offer from a high level (top two historically) brand at the level being rumored may neve be on the table again.

One recent ESPN blip which I believe should be reason for him gibr the Lakers a massive no; they just spoke of a LeBron conversation where he praised DH. They then stated that there could be no better coach to develop Bronny than Dan Hurley. If the idea is to make Hurley Alfred to Bronnie's Batman, there shouldn't be enough money in the world for that job.

Reaction Score
Lots of mixed emotions. Happy for Danny if that’s what he wants. He surely has earned it. Objectively, I don’t see Danny’s approach working in the NBA and I do think it won’t take long before he misses the college atmosphere. I guess you don’t know unless you try and for him personally, the time is now. For us, we have to keep Luke and Kimani. Make one of them head coach and the other the highest paid assistant in college.
Well said.
Happy for him but pissed he’s leaving.
Was bound to happen at some point. There aren’t many JC’s in the coaching world these days.
Does screw some players that came to play for him specifically. I feel worst for them. Hopefully the staff remains intact.

Reaction Score
The Lakers aren’t ideal right now given their current makeup, but this is a premiere franchise, Los Angeles, and gobs of money. I wasn’t worried about Kentucky. This? You couldn’t stick a pin in my butt right now. I would be devastated but get it if he left.

Reaction Score
Let's not forget no decent D1 team wanted Kimani or Luke as head coaches. Not a single one, due to lack of head coaching experience. So to say either is a good fallback option is really hard to say. Well, you got to start somewhere.
How about the possibility that Luke and Khimani anticipated Hurley departing in the near future and have stayed in anticipation of getting elevated?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
How about the possibility that Luke and Khimani anticipated Hurley departing in the near future and have stayed in anticipation of getting elevated?
And Moore

Reaction Score
Dan is the face of college basketball right now, the sport he loves. We know he is not looking for the largest bag (see Kentucky). The money he is offered from the Lakers is likely to be ridiculous so he will have to consider it. He has expressed interest in the NBA, but he always talked about it like it was way in the future. Also does anyone really think he would steer Karaban to turn down guaranteed NBA money and come back if he knew his leaving would likely throw the program into total chaos? I think he stays but leverages this into a larger contract for himself but also uses it to get a larger commitment from UConn or makes changes (more on campus games). He will always have the option to go to the NBA. It's too early for him to leave now.

Reaction Score
Let’s just try to keep in mind Hurley isn’t a slime ball.

In regards to His coaches, players, etc, he’s transparent and honest with them ALL the time. He is absolutely not leaving his guys in the dark. I doubt this news is a surprise to anyone in the UConn program.

Reaction Score
If this Laker thing just came up in the last 7 days, then the Karaban timing is just unfortunate. Just bad timing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom