Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
The Ollie situation was a lot like this, and Ollie chose poorly.

Was Ollie ever offered a contract by an NBA team? I feel like it never hit that point, it was only his name coming up in rumors and some conversations with NBA teams.

Reaction Score
He got it and failed at QU.
That was a while ago and he didn’t have the benefit of being around Dan, Luke and Kimani. Make him interim so he can try and hold onto our new additions and give us time to conduct a proper search.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think we have to assume he is gone with Luke and Kimani. Lakers will make him one of the highest paid if not the highest paid coach in the league. He will have complete autonomy on personnel.

There are maybe 4 or 5 NBA Coaches that basically have complete control. Every other one is a cog in a machine. I think it is unlikely that Hurley will be allowed to bring his UConn staff with him. The Lakers will want an experienced NBA coaching staff on the bench with Hurley.

Reaction Score
I think Kimani would be in line before Luke, no? As long as UConn retains them and Moore, I think UConn will be fine.
Agreed. Murray is the strategist. Kimani is the game coach. Remember when he got the Villanova win which was DH's best win to that point?

Reaction Score
The Ollie situation was a lot like this, and Ollie chose poorly.

People's characterization of college vs. the NBA is wildly off now that we are in the NIL/Transfer Portal era. Every top college coach is trying to re-recruit his roster while recruiting replacements while raising money to recruit while also running a program. It is absolutely brutal on college coaches. The days of a coach like Boeheim making Final Fours while working 9 to 5 are long over.

The NBA has players under contract and the coach has most of their careers in his hands because all he has to do is tweak the office a little and someone's stats go down and they lose millions. Los Angeles can compete with any franchise in the NBA for talent. The pressure to win is big, but it sounds like Hurley will make enough off this contract that his kids will never have to work.
Not only his kids but several generations of kids. The money will be far more than anything we can offer.

Reaction Score
Several thoughts:
1. This is the Lakers team that just fired a supposed hot young HC after 2 years of making the playoffs only to lose to Denver each year?
2. This is the same DH that seems to struggle with the refs after a 40 or so game season?
3. And a western conference that has most of the good young teams that will run the NBA for the foreseeable future? OKC, Spurs (Wemby), Denver, Dallas, and others….when your best player is 40 years old?????
You offer me 10 plus mil a year I might go too….my only point is that this Lakers job is a mirage.
Not everything that shines is gold.

Reaction Score
Was Ollie ever offered a contract by an NBA team? I feel like it never hit that point, it was only his name coming up in rumors and some conversations with NBA teams.
Ollie was a lock if he wanted to take it. A lock.

Reaction Score
The stress of a 35 game college season is bad. Imagine 82 games plus playoffs and all that travel? Sure it's a ton of money, but a crazy lifestyle. I'd take half that money for better work-life balance. I'm also a minimalist and don't think money is everything, but some could see differently.

The work-life balance probably isn't that much better overall. Sure, you're on the road more as an NBA coach, but college recruiting is a massive grind not to mention the NIL nonsense. I'm sure guys like Billy Donovan were happy to trade the NBA grind for not having to sit through countless AAU tournaments and recruiting visits.

Reaction Score
I don't blame Hurley for leaving. Today’s version of College hoop is a total uncontrollable and unsustainable mess. Now the new guy will have to re-recruit all the kids on the team…. Even ones enrolled in school. It is bananas

Reaction Score
LeBron is an old guy. His body might break down any year. However is is still amazing. And this is the Lakers, not the Nets.

Reaction Score
There are maybe 4 or 5 NBA Coaches that basically have complete control. Every other one is a cog in a machine. I think it is unlikely that Hurley will be allowed to bring his UConn staff with him. The Lakers will want an experienced NBA coaching staff on the bench with Hurley.

I don't think it's even that many NBA coaches. The Lakers aren't giving Hurley complete control over personnel.

Reaction Score
I disagree but we will see. This is about bringing in the Hurley way and Dan will insist that Luke and Kimani come too. The man is coming off back to back NCs, he will get what he wants.

caw

Reaction Score

Agreed. That said, I can't imagine the pitch to Hurley being great (outside of money). That organization is a mess.

Reaction Score
The work-life balance probably isn't that much better overall. Sure, you're on the road more as an NBA coach, but college recruiting is a massive grind not to mention the NIL nonsense. I'm sure guys like Billy Donovan were happy to trade the NBA grind for not having to sit through countless AAU tournaments and recruiting visits.
Unless they're just gym rats and enjoy watching high school and AAU games.

Reaction Score
That P5 stuff is utter BS. He just had the chance to go to the SEC and basically name his price.
It’s such a dumb, lazy narrative that for some reason espn loves to fall back on. He was going to take Kentucky for the same reason according to them, remeber?

Reaction Score
The Lakers roster has plenty of parts to work with. It isn't ideal, of course.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom