Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
Kimani or Luke being the Uconn head coach is a much better job for them than following Danny to LA.

Reaction Score
To all the people who want to stay in the Big East and say conference does not matter ESPN is talking about how UConn is in a weaker conference who don’t have power 5 revenue…
Sorry but wrong on several levels ...
1. Hurley is a big east guy and has stated numerous times publicly that he loves the league
2. Hurley turned down Kentucky a month ago.

Reaction Score
I do love the people in here that aren't clued in to how the NBA works with its news stories.

If WoJ is tweeting and doing sportscenter spots at 7am about a story it very much is legitimate.

If something big happens in the NBA Woj is the one who drops it.

This has way more legs than the UK forum non sense. This is probably 80/20 done to the lakers with how it's been handled in the media. Woj doesn't just leak stuff for contract negotions.

Reaction Score
Agreed. That said, I can't imagine the pitch to Hurley being great (outside of money). That organization is a mess.

Yeah, Pelinka is bad at his job to the point where I don't know how he hasn't been fired. LeBron is a diva who doesn't make things easy, not to mention he's about to be 40 years old. Winning championships is pretty much the lowest item of appeal in this scenario because it's so far off.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Hurley’s comments on the Francesa podcast about wanting to coach the NBA convinced the Lakers to pickup the phone & call Hurley which then started all of this…..

Reaction Score
Dan has what I call a ”life decision” to make in early 50‘s… his kids are grown, he is accomplished great things where he is… now at the crossroads of whether he should reach for the stars when approached with a once in lifetime opportunity like this.

I am in the same position - not in dollar amount - but situation. On one hand, it’s great to be appreciated where you are and be offered opportunity - but it’s stress all around no matter which path you choose.

I trust Dan will make the best decision for his family.

I think when he thinks about all the risk / reward, the flash of the money offered fades, Dan stays.

Reaction Score
Unless the lakers go into rebuild mode, I can’t imagine a worse fit for Hurley than the lakers. Lebron and AD didn’t listen to Vogel or Ham…they are going to listen to Hurley? They were #5 in iso points and #2 post up points….after 20 years, Lebron is going to change his game?
the article mentions Max Christie as a potential player to develop…..he’s an unrestricted free agent…..

While Hurley would be a great fit for ALOT of NBA teams….the lakers with Lebron and AD ain’t one of them.

Reaction Score
I say we build the tolls for the highways and use it to pay Hurley whatever it takes.

Reaction Score
The upside is the kick in the nuts to JJ Reddick.

It will play out how it plays out. The Lakers are a top organization but they are a bad team surrounded by very good teams. He would probably be a good NBA coach but not at the top of the profession for a while. The NBA is a players league. Players run the team not the coach.

He at the top of the college basketball profession and in a position to to be an all time basketball legend. That is probably not the future in the NBA. The job offer is very heady stuff. It's great money but not without risk. This job offer would add to his reputation as college's greatest coach. It makes Hurley and UConn the absolute kings of college ball.

If this happens it will happen fast.

Reaction Score
This really isn't about the Lakers roster construction or Dan being a good fit or not in the NBA, or Dan winning in the NBA.

It is about Dan wanting and expressing his desire to be an NBA coach, and the Lakers, and 140 million

Reaction Score
Sorry but wrong on several levels ...
1. Hurley is a big east guy and has stated numerous times publicly that he loves the league
2. Hurley turned down Kentucky a month ago.
1. Hurley is never going to trash the league he’s in currently lol.

2. Hurley chose UConn because he doesn’t see himself coaching anywhere else in college. Because he always has had nba aspirations and doesn’t want to coach late into his 60s, his tenure at Uconn wouldn’t be long enough to the point where the revenue of the p5 leagues vs the big east catches up. But it’s a simple math problem, it is coming.

It is simple facts that power 5 teams get more revenue. Its not going to effect us in the near term but in the long run how could we keep up?

Reaction Score
Looks like the Big12 presidents made the right call not taking UConn when Yormark was pushing. They didn't want to take the risk of Hurley bolting and taking UConn football at the hope UConn bball's success would continue.

Reaction Score
Even with inflation today I don't think this argument makes any sense.

LA and California might be an overly expensive mess for the average joe but rich athletes and celebrities still flock there for the most part. If have money (and Hurley will have plenty) LA is still and always will be a hotspot.
But…but so is Glastonbury?

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Got to given them credit for keeping it this quiet for so long. As Woj said it’s been going on a while.

If he leaves it will leave a mark on his UConn legacy no way to sugarcoat that with all the best wishes and thank you’s .

All of that will be forgotten if we become a version of what we were when he started.

Sure it was a different time but Calhoun left a program that was good enough to win a chip the first year they were eligible.

This really stinks especially since I hate the Lakers.

Maybe the Knicks ought to fire Thibs and hire Hurley then he can stay in the NE and his family might be happier.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
There is that kick in nuts I’ve been waiting for. The lakers will give him EVERYTHING.

This is very very real. And I would say chances are he’s gone.
Money isn't everything; especially when you're already a multi-millionaire. There will be NBA offers available for years to come and millions more right where he is at which is the basketball capital of the world. Why should he turn away from everything he has accomplished for that thankless job.

I hope he stays right here so ESPN doesn't have to fly their reporters when they can drive to Hartford and Storrs to see the greatest college teams in the country now and in time to be. :)

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Hurley’s not only a great coach, but he’s very business minded. People forget it’s contract negotiation season, this happens.

Do I think there’s smoke? Yes. But I think his intentions are that he’s staying in Storrs. So go ahead AD DB, bankrupt the state further I’m here for it. Our politicians make worse decisions daily than giving gazillions to our beloved head coach.

Reaction Score
I do love the people in here that aren't clued in to how the NBA works with its news stories.

If WoJ is tweeting and doing sportscenter spots at 7am about a story it very much is legitimate.

If something big happens in the NBA Woj is the one who drops it.

This has way more legs than the UK forum non sense. This is probably 80/20 done to the lakers with how it's been handled in the media. Woj doesn't just leak stuff for contract negotions.
WFAN says DH and Lakers have been talking about 2 weeks. Sucks for AK and LM if true.

Reaction Score
Hurley’s not only a great coach, but he’s very business minded. People forget it’s contract negotiation season, this happens.

Do I think there’s smoke? Yes. But I think his intentions are that he’s staying in Storrs. So go ahead AD DB, bankrupt the state further I’m here for it. Our politicians make worse decisions daily than giving gazillions to our beloved head coach.
And they just made Geno the highest paid women's coach. Maybe our AD knew something.

Reaction Score
Money isn't everything; especially when you're already a multi-millionaire. There will be NBA offers available for years to come and millions more right where he is at which is the basketball capital of the world. Why should he turn away from everything he has accomplished for that thankless job.

I hope he stays right here so ESPN doesn't have to fly they're reporters when they can drive to Hartford and Storrs to see the greatest college teams in the country now and in time to be. :)
The timing of this offer is crappy from a potential legacy perspective (though not from a "strike while the iron is hot" perspective). Hurley has a chance to go for the threepeat. Then he can move to the NBA. Given his disposition and his family's preferences, I'd think he'd wait for the Knicks job to open up again, and jump there when it does.

Reaction Score
WFAN says DH and Lakers have been talking about 2 weeks. Sucks for AK and LM if true.
2 weeks wow. Not sure about LM bc he had already committed. And now he can transfer.

But it certainly sucks for AK if he had been in the dark which is very possible.

Reaction Score
The Ollie situation was a lot like this, and Ollie chose poorly.

People's characterization of college vs. the NBA is wildly off now that we are in the NIL/Transfer Portal era. Every top college coach is trying to re-recruit his roster while recruiting replacements while raising money to recruit while also running a program. It is absolutely brutal on college coaches. The days of a coach like Boeheim making Final Fours while working 9 to 5 are long over.

The NBA has players under contract and the coach has most of their careers in his hands because all he has to do is tweak the office a little and someone's stats go down and they lose millions. Los Angeles can compete with any franchise in the NBA for talent. The pressure to win is big, but it sounds like Hurley will make enough off this contract that his kids will never have to work.
Fair points. But along those lines, it’s equally foolish to assume that Hurley’s culture will work in the nba. Grown men, making huge money themselves, often on the road for two weeks, more than ever playing on back to back nights. It won’t work. Hurley can absolutely succeed in the nba but mark my words, he will have to change. Good luck trying to change the nba culture.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom