Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
IIRC Hurley had no discussions with UK. He never even considered their offer. But this report says the two sides have been talking. Ugh.

Money isn’t everything but boatloads of money + nice location + not having to do recruiting and actually having long chunks of time off? That’s hard to pass up

Reaction Score
And they just made Geno the highest paid women's coach. Maybe our AD knew something.
Hmmm, Geno said he was surprised that DB announced his new contract at the coaches show, GA thought it would be announced in a couple of weeks or so. Was this a DB "all is fine with the Uconn AD moment" to try and lessen today's "surprise ! "

Reaction Score
Pop makes 16. Danny is gong to get 18 minimum with at least 5 years. Those are the minimums. Uconn would have to pay Danny 10mil and 10 years right now. So no, it's not life altering $ at all. And Dan isn't doing this for the $.

Reaction Score
UConn’s offering to Hurley will be an absolute bag. Record-breaking.

Everyone on here over-reacting has never been in a salary negotiation. It shows.

This isn't about money. Hurley knows he can get a bag from uconn and likely will with this news but if the Los Angeles Lakers are saying they want you to be their next head coach and your a basketball junky that is looking to climb to the top of the sport... That's basically doing it. There's almost no job better in basketball than coaching the Lakers, regardless of current roster construction or front office. It's arguably the best job in the sport.

Imagine whatever you do for a living and having the absolute highest standard of that call you and offer you a job. Its career defining, end of story.

If Hurley was bag chasing than UK would have been seriously on his radar. This about chasing the pinnacle of his profession.

Reaction Score
Thoughts:
1.) It's hard to say no to the Lakers if they're throwing a mountain of money at you. Is it a take it or leave it situation? Or could it be, I'm interested and the gravity of what this means is not lost on me. I don't know if right now is the best time.. we've got something cooking and I'd like it if we could revisit this after seeing things through here in CT.
2.) I know he can adapt, but it's going to be tough to get a bunch of ego driven pro's to buy into a team mentality and play the physical type of ball he coaches for 80+ games a season. Bodies break.
3.) If he goes, we're heartbroken, but we send him out of CT with a parade for what he's done. We understand business is business.
4.) The thought of LeBron opening a pregame goodie bag from Andrea and the utter delight on his face is cracking me up in my mind.
5.) Need to lock up Kimani or Luke somehow or we're not looking for just a new coach. We're looking for a new team too.
100% on # 5

Reaction Score
From espn.
Hurley, 51, has often described his ambition to one day coach in the NBA and has expressed to the Lakers a desire to explore the full picture of a partnership with one of basketball's winningest franchises, sources said.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I Think You Should Leave Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX

Reaction Score
Got to given them credit for keeping it this quiet for so long. As Woj said it’s been going on a while.

If he leaves it will leave a mark on his UConn legacy no way to sugarcoat that with all the best wishes and thank you’s .

All of that will be forgotten if we become a version of what we were when he started.

Sure it was a different time but Calhoun left a program that was good enough to win a chip the first year they were eligible.

This really stinks especially since I hate the Lakers.

Maybe the Knicks ought to fire Thibs and hire Hurley then he can stay in the NE and his family might be happier.

Lol there will be no mark on his legacy. He doesn’t owe UConn anything.

And Calhoun also left a team that was not eligible to play in the post season and as unfair as the punishment was the apr stuff happened under his watch.

Can’t brush off the different era thing, Hurley has built a team that’s expected to contend for a title next year. With transfer portal and nil there’s no way to ensure that team stays together

Reaction Score
Wonder what made the UConn and Benedict not offer Hurley a great contract for last two months. What a fumble
How do you know what was offered? It wouldn't be public knowledge.

Reaction Score
Assuming Lebron and AD stay healthy, the Lakers are just a very good PG away from Title contending. They're a playoff team now. They can probably negotiate a deal to get an elite PG. I'm sure that is part of the pitch to Danny.

Reaction Score
ANDREW HURLEY.

I said when Andrew Hurley enrolled at UConn that we locked up Danny for four more years. Andrew graduated this spring. If Andrew was still going to UConn I would be more confident.

Reaction Score
If this Laker thing just came up in the last 7 days, then the Karaban timing is just unfortunate. Just bad timing.

This is not a big deal for Alex. He chose to come back for another year of college. He loves UCONN. He wants to improve his game. He wasn't coming back just for Danny.

Reaction Score
Perhaps they waited 2 weeks to announce this until it was nearly a done deal? Starting to sound like it

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
On the other hand, doesn't this increase the probability that Hurley is using this as leverage in negotiations with Benedict?

Of course it's being used as leverage, but why does that mean he wouldn't take a job that he has consistently professed interest in?

Reaction Score
This is not a big deal for Alex. He chose to come back for another year of college. He loves UCONN. He wants to improve his game. He wasn't coming back just for Danny.
Disagree, it is all part of the equation.

Reaction Score
Benedict should have been fired years ago. Literally, only Geno and Danny has saved his job. The football strategy has been a colossal mess. The fact he hasn't gotten UConn into a Power conference yet is ALL on him. Now, the chickens are coming home to roost.

Reaction Score
Of course it's being used as leverage, but why does that mean he wouldn't take a job that he has consistently professed interest in?
The leverage argument makes sense, but they have been talking for weeks. So it makes less sense now.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Lol there will be no mark on his legacy. He doesn’t owe UConn anything.

And Calhoun also left a team that was not eligible to play in the post season and as unfair as the punishment was the apr stuff happened under his watch.

Can’t brush off the different era thing, Hurley has built a team that’s expected to contend for a title next year. With transfer portal and nil there’s no way to ensure that team stays together
So loyalty is like a one way street. I must have missed that.

FWIW certainly not at this level but 10 years ago, I had to make a decision that might offer life altering money. I decided to be loyal to the business team that helped me get to a point that such an offer could be possible.

I chose the loyalty route and although, I made less money they people that helped me did well. I am doing better financially than I would have ever imagined before I had any leverage. I was about the same age as Hurley.

As I get closer to retiring I can pretty easily figure out I left more money on the table but never felt bad about it.

Reaction Score
So loyalty is like a one way street. I must have missed that.

FWIW certainly not at this level but 10 years I had to make a decision that might offer life altering money. I decided to be loyal to the team that helped me get to a point that such an offer could be possible.

I chose the loyalty route and although, I made less money they people that helped me did well.

I left money on the table but never felt bad about it.
If Dan leaves, of course he isn't loyal. Nor does he owe loyalty with the craziness of NIL, portal, etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom