Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
I pray that Hurley stays, but certainly wouldn't mind if one of our Assistant Coaches stepped up. Hurley has built something amazing, perhaps they can keep it going?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
UConn has won five titles with three different coaches in 25 years. UConn has been the secret ingredient, not the coaches.

With that said, Calhoun built the program and fan base so well that any number of replacements could step in and win with a little work.

I don't see Danny going anywhere any time soon. He's been the perfect fit for right where he is exactly right now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To all the people who want to stay in the Big East and say conference does not matter ESPN is talking about how UConn is in a weaker conference who don’t have power 5 revenue…
Of course ESPN is saying that, they are always promoting their conferences and spitting on the Big East and UConn. All those Cuse alum there are giddy with excitement that we may fall and Cuse can rise up.

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
At least they waited for us to finish recruiting for this season. This is Lebron pushing this btw.

Reaction Score
Well, the NCAA transformation into a Pro league is now complete. Athletes are basically employees and coaches/players are now the main development league (i.e. "Minor Leagues") for the Pro teams.

Reaction Score
Well, if they're willing to make the massive, long term offer it will be difficult to turn down as it will be life altering money

The few things in our favor would be:
  • The Lakers would require basically a full rebuild as they are LeBron, AD (neither has much left) and not a lot else.
  • The Nuggets should still be a contender for quite a few years.
  • The Wolves and Thunder are built to be very good for a long time.
  • The Spurs are very close to approaching, at least in young talent, the Wolves and Thunder.
  • The bulk of what Dallas has still has quite a few years left.
  • There are three teams, also with short windows that still have a lot of overall talent (Dubs, Suns, Clippers)
  • There are two young teams with a good amount of talent that may be able to take the next step (Kings, Pelicans).
Thing he needs to factor into the equation:
  • What life will be like early on when competing for titles won't be realistic.
  • How easily he'll be able to install the culture he professes.
  • How willing NBA players, looking to secure contracts that will be 3-4 times what DH willl be making (even with massive deal for a coach) would be to make the extra pass when they believe they need stats sufficient to be named first team all NBA to qualify for certain increases.
  • How willing a team of NBA players will be willing to buy in on him if there is an extended period without much success (which will likley occur until a full roster is built).
In full candor, I hope he stays but I won't question him for taking the Lakers job as a) it will be life altering money and b) while NBA jobs will be available for him in the future, an offer from a high level (top two historically) brand at the level being rumored may neve be on the table again.

One recent ESPN blip which I believe should be reason for him gibr the Lakers a massive no; they just spoke of a LeBron conversation where he praised DH. They then stated that there could be no better coach to develop Bronny than Dan Hurley. If the idea is to make Hurley Alfred to Bronnie's Batman, there shouldn't be enough money in the world for that job.
Going to the Lakers for LeBron's last ride is super high-risk, high-reward for a first time NBA coach. If he wins a title, he's a HOF lock and a legend.

If he faceplants, he could be out of the league and take a while to get a second chance, and there's a decent chance of that.

My gut feeling is he's using this as leverage for a contract here and will go to the NBA eventually, but not for at least another handful of years. Remember, Billy Donovan won back to back, was courted by the NBA, even took the Magic job at one point before reneging, and ultimately coached at Florida 8 years after his second title.

Reaction Score
worst news to wake up to. damn...Lakers/LA/Bags of cash and coaching one of the greatest players ever gonna be hard to pass up

c29328

On Smoko
Reaction Score
I don't love the fit with the lakers and their roster but its the biggest franchise in the NBA with the biggest star. I can see him in the NBA, I just can't see him taking a job where he's LeBron's puppet and your top two players are too old to run your stuff. It's still the Lakers, and that's a big, big deal. I think there would be better opportunities in the NBA for him to find success in the first 3-4 years. He'll get run after one mediocre year in LA and I see at least 2-3 mediocre years in LA coming. But it's still the Lakers.

Reaction Score
From espn.
Hurley, 51, has often described his ambition to one day coach in the NBA and has expressed to the Lakers a desire to explore the full picture of a partnership with one of basketball's winningest franchises, sources said.
Does that partnership involve getting stuck with 40 year old Lebron and Bronny, and Pelinka as your gm??

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I'll be heartbroken if he goes... and disappointed. I've always thought that DH was driven, at least in part, to follow his Dad's example and turn a job into a legacy institution. He'll never be better positioned to do that than he is at UConn.

Reaction Score
At least they waited for us to finish recruiting for this season. This is Lebron pushing this btw.
My goodness..The ESPN reporters are acting like a bunch of Jackals this morning trying to jump over each other on breaking this story. As if they saw this coming all the way, and they had the "Inside" info on Lebron and Danny.

Reaction Score
Isn’t Luke the offensive mastermind?

I don’t see how he goes without them.
This would be Luke’s chance to be our head coach and I know he’s young but… we would be set up for years. We don’t want this to happen but we need Luke here because he’s one of the architects of what we built the last 2 seasons.

Reaction Score
The same people said JJ was a done deal because he's LeBron's podcast buddy. This is an organizational decision that will extend beyond the LeBron playing years

Reaction Score
Dan has what I call a ”life decision” to make in early 50‘s… his kids are grown, he is accomplished great things where he is… now at the crossroads of whether he should reach for the stars when approached with a once in lifetime opportunity like this.

I am in the same position - not in dollar amount - but situation. On one hand, it’s great to be appreciated where you are and be offered opportunity - but it’s stress all around no matter which path you choose.

I trust Dan will make the best decision for his family.

I think when he thinks about all the risk / reward, the flash of the money offered fades, Dan stays.
He has a great example in his father of not going.

Then again he's always liked new challenges.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
this sucks!

I hope he doesn't go and not coach the Lakers as we know LeBron is the GM and at worse the assistant coach. Man I hate the Lakers with a passion

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
From espn.
Hurley, 51, has often described his ambition to one day coach in the NBA and has expressed to the Lakers a desire to explore the full picture of a partnership with one of basketball's winningest franchises, sources said.
From ESPN??? Oh, it's gotta be true!!!

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
This would be Luke’s chance to be our head coach and I know he’s young but… we would be set up for years. We don’t want this to happen but we need Luke here because he’s one of the architects of what we built the last 2 seasons.
You don't think he'd go with Hurley?

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I literally am on the john reading this thread and suddenly locked up. Nothing moving. Dammit.
Yup and still dealing with it….. bad morning.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
this sucks!

I hope he doesn't go and not coach the Lakers as we know LeBron is the GM and at worse the assistant coach. Man I hate the Lakers with a passion
First day of practice: "Hey guys; The puke buckets are at this end and that end". LOL.

Reaction Score
If just Hurley leaves then it'll obviously be bad but it won't be the end of the world. If one or both of Luke/Kimani leave with him then it's probably gonna get really ugly

Reaction Score
I believe this is to negotiate against the State. This isn't a Dave Benedict issue, Dave and Hurley want a deal but Hurley has the ability to really get what he wants done with XL, Assistants, etc... This is right at the state and Ned.

Reaction Score
Dancing with the devil and dancing on a volcano? I thought this song is a bit appropriate for the situation. Hoping coach Hurley stays.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure it'll come down to the money as much as the organizational control he seems to be seeking.

The pat Reilly, brad Stevens path isn't a bad one to take.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom