Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 32 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
So you’re saying if he stays another year and wins a third title there won’t be a better opportunity for him in NBA?
No I don’t. I could be wrong but what does better mean? Better than the Lakers?

He has said he would be interested in the NBA but he has also said that he likes being in complete control. He’s not getting that in the NBA and even if he did it would be like being a college coach anyway. As time marches on and if he continues to have success I just think going to the NBA becomes less attractive. He would be older and hopefully in a position to have a Wooden like legacy in the college game. It will just get harder to walk away and that’s why I think if he wants to take his shot it will be now.

Reaction Score
I appear to be in the minority but coming off back to back national championships I'd be pretty underwhelmed if the replacement is Luke Murray or Kimani Young. I think they're both going to be great head coaches, but UConn should not be a first head coaching job

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I think Hurley is gone. I have already come to terms with it. We need to keep both Luke Murray and Kimani Young. Murray is the brains behind the operation, and Young is the lead recruiter. If they come back, I do believe we keep the roster in tact and will have a chance to three peat.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I appear to be in the minority but coming off back to back national championships I'd be pretty underwhelmed if the replacement is Luke Murray or Kimani Young. I think they're both going to be great head coaches, but UConn should not be a first head coaching job
Murray is the brains behind one of the most innovative offensive schemes in college basketball history. You don't let him leave.

Reaction Score
if it was a done deal this would not be in the news about the deal as forthcoming. I think the door is open for UCONN to give him reason$ to stay.

Maybe. But my guess is he can tell the Lakers, thanks, but no thanks, and still take that offer back to UConn for a better contract. Cuz we all know there will be another offer coming down the pike.

Reaction Score
Hurley took us to a place I never thought we'd see for a long long time. I really wanted to see what he could do with one more year. Bummed.
I mean right after firing Ollie if fans were offered a deal that UConn would win 2 titles in the next 6 years with Hurley leading the way, but immediately after the 2nd title he would bolt to the NBA, I think all of us would have taken that deal in a heartbeat. It sucks (especially since we have a realistic shot at a 3-peat), but what he accomplished the last 2 years can never be taken away.

Reaction Score
Is what it is out of our hands. Interesting next few days but gut feeling is he will make a decision as fast as possible for his players.

I think he’s nuts to go coach LeBron but I’m not getting offered 20M.

Hope he stays if he doesn’t hope he doesn’t poach our staff, that would be very disappointing.

Again, go take a quick walk to JCs office please!

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Is what it is out of our hands. Interesting next few days but gut feeling is he will make a decision as fast as possible for his players.

I think he’s nuts to go coach LeBron but I’m not getting offered 20M.

Hope he stays if he doesn’t hope he doesn’t poach our staff, that would be very disappointing.

Again, go take a quick walk to JCs office please!

If he leaves I don't think it would be about money.

Reaction Score
Murray is the brains behind one of the most innovative offensive schemes in college basketball history. You don't let him leave.
He will almost certainly be with DH if he leaves to go to the NBA. No way DH leaves a guy with that brain power to innovate out.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

If the staff stays - Murray, Kimani, and Moore, and so the the players, that’s great. We’ll be good.

Reaction Score
If Hurley leaves, at least one of (likely Murray) if not both (Murray and Kimani) will be with him in LA next year. He's going to have autonomy to hire his own guys. These are his guys.

Reaction Score
Apparently Hurley negotiated a lower NBA buyout in the least contract, about $1.8 million compared to the $7 million for a college job

Reaction Score
If the staff stays - Murray, Kimani, and Moore, and so the the players, that’s great. We’ll be good.
I'm hoping the "staff is preparing for him leaving" rumor means that all the assistant coaches will remain at UConn. I really doubt Hurley would gut the team like that (taking all the main assistants with him) if he is indeed leaving.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Where is the 20 million coming from?
Pops is receiving 16 million and he is GM basically. I guess they could offer that but I am.guessing more around 12-14 million a year with 8 to 10 years

Reaction Score
If Hurleys gone I don’t see the roster staying intact, especially in this era, regardless of who they hire.

I can’t imagine the players will be happy feeling like the rug was pulled out from under them after they decided to come/stay.
I, quite frankly, would be insanely mad. I wouldn't blame them to be honest.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
From the Athletic: Geno & Coach Hurley were chopping it up and the Lakers came up: Here's Geno

UConn women’s basketball coach Geno Auriemma, appearing on “The Dan Patrick Show” on Thursday, said he was with Hurley on Wednesday night and randomly brought up the Lakers’ head-coaching vacancy.

“I have no idea where this is going or what’s happening, but I just leaned over and I said, ‘I think you could win a lot of championships with the Lakers, more so than a guy who’s never coached,’” Auriemma said.

Auriemma said Hurley “just looked at me and nodded.”

“It’d be a bad day for UConn if this happens and it’d be a great, great day for Dan Hurley,” he said, adding Hurley is “crazy if he doesn’t take it.”

Reaction Score
If Hurleys gone I don’t see the roster staying intact, especially in this era, regardless of who they hire.

I can’t imagine the players will be happy feeling like the rug was pulled out from under them after they decided to come/stay.
: (

The news this morning hit like a freight train. In the back of my mind, I was always concerned going through what the Villanova fans are going through post-Jay Wright.

back2BE4us

The Carpenter will carpent.
Reaction Score
1000026456.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member