Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 34 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
Can’t find it now but that has been known since he signed the extension last year when they released the terms
They’re crazy to have agreed to that. UConn needs all the money it can get and NBA teams have the deep pockets to pay

Cant imagine it would’ve been a deal breaker for Hurley considering he was never gonna be the one paying

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
If he leaves he looks like a snake. Getting AK to come back. The new recruits. Saying all the things he said about going for 3 peat. There are a million quotes.

The new players just showed up and now their heads are spinning.

This totally wrecks team continuity and all the things Hurley preaches.

AND if he takes the job he’ll be coaching a NE college team in 3 years..

Not a LA guy.. Not a pro coach. Just a shiny toy for Lebron and the Lakers
Dan Hurley owes not a single thing to UConn or anyone at the university. He did not get AK to come back, from all accounts. That’s not what Dan Hurley does, if you have been paying attention the last few years. He supports what’s best for the player. It was an AK decision with his family.

What do you want him to say during all this… just nothing about trying to keep winning championships? Should he just stop recruiting?

All this “not a pro coach” talk just fuels a guy like Dan Hurley even more to take on the challenge.

Reaction Score
If he leaves he looks like a snake. Getting AK to come back. The new recruits. Saying all the things he said about going for 3 peat. There are a million quotes.

The new players just showed up and now their heads are spinning.

This totally wrecks team continuity and all the things Hurley preaches.

AND if he takes the job he’ll be coaching a NE college team in 3 years..

Not a LA guy.. Not a pro coach. Just a shiny toy for Lebron and the Lakers
His dream has always been the NBA. He is only a "snake" to very sensitive people. He's done nothing wrong here. It sucks but don't blame him

Reaction Score
His dream has always been the NBA. He is only a "snake" to very sensitive people. He's done nothing wrong here. It sucks but don't blame him
Snake is strong

Reaction Score
I keep playing it through in my head and the money is really the only sure thing that's a lure for me.

On a 7 year deal....

1) You get Lebron for 2 years and he's way beyond his ability to carry a team to a title, especially in the West.
2) You get an aging AD for 5 years? And he's also not enough to carry that team.
3) For the next 2-3 years? You won't be bad enough to get a high enough draft pick to make an immediate impact.
4) Even if you draft really well the next 3 years and Lebron leaves? A new "Luka" or "Wemby" isn't going to bring you to a conference finals for 3 more years? At that point you're at the tail end of Hurley's initial deal.

So you go there. And again, outside the money, you deal with Lebron's garbage and help try to strike gold rebuilding with the #13-#15 draft pick every year?

I just think the timing and where that team is going isn't a great spot for that deal. Aside from the bag of money.

Reaction Score
Interesting how 'basketball' people perceive the Lakers. I view them as a 'has been' like UCLA and Indiana in ncaa. Not irrelevant but far far removed from the top of the heap. I've read post downplaying the Knicks but I don't think the Lakers is much different. I would think you would need to have a clear vision of a winning roster virtually immediately in order to take the job, because NBA honeymoons aren't long.
It might just be ESPN “experts,” but I heard someone say it’s almost self-analysis by the Lakers front office, i.e., “we have a bad culture, so we NEED someone who’s built a successful culture to come in and build us a new culture.”

back2BE4us

The Carpenter will carpent.
Reaction Score
You like many others are missing the point.

It wasnt college or nba for AK.

It was UConn or NBA. I’m of the belief if Hurley told AK he might not be back he stays in the draft.

It doesn’t mean he “did him dirty”.

It is outside of his character though.

He’s billed as an honest guy. I’d like to believe he’s either staying or AK has known this could be a possibility. And took the bet on Hurley staying
I was thinking exactly this. There was absolutely zero indication from any players or coaching staff that he was highly likely to leave.

Reaction Score
Hurley negotiating with the Lakers to get UConn into the same conference as UCLA.

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

Reaction Score
Anyone calling him a snake is a buffoon.

He’s got an opportunity to double his income or better, for a longer term with more guaranteed money at the highest level of his profession.

Anyone would have to seriously consider the opportunity.

Reaction Score
He's 51. It's the Lakers. I mean, c'mon. He can go and fail and he'd have given it a shot
He doesn't want to coach after 60, so the Lakers could be his last job. He'll make enough to never have to coach anywhere again even if he fails in L.A. More time for painting.

Reaction Score
What about his wife and how she feels? She is a Jersey girl. He said he didn’t take Kentucky job as he didn’t want to get divorced. What about his parents being in NJ being able to drive to every game. Isn’t that a factor? What about going down as being the best college basketball coach ever if he stays? And the downside of being unsuccessful as an NBA coach and his coaching style not translating to the NBA.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Well Coach K told the Lakers to get lost so there's hope. Dan and staff have really become adept at college style play and using the college transfers to their advantage, it would be a shame to see them leave at the top of their game. Pitino is a cautionary tale.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
In my opinion, this might be a good thing for us long-term. Think about it: our coach is leaving for only the best job in world basketball. We have won titles with three different coaches. This elevates the UConn job even further in my opinion. It might hurt in the short term, but long term I believe this helps us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmoothWilly

Top Bottom