Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 36 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

back2BE4us

The Carpenter will carpent.
Reaction Score
What about this:

UConn leaves the door open for Hurley to return to UConn. Hurley tries it out, gets the payday, doesn't like it and returns in 2-3 years with a lifetime contract at UConn.

Interim coach either stays on as assistant (Kimani, Luke or whoever) or pursues position elsewhere.

I'd be fine with that.

Reaction Score
Its worth watching the Geno interview. The Hurley stuff is in the first 4 minutes.

People took out all of the context from Geno. Basically he said that if the Lakers offer was the same as the one Brad Stevens got with the Celtics, Hurley should consider, to which Dan Patrick replied saying it was bigger offer, at which point Geno said he would be crazy not to take it and laughed.

Reaction Score
Think you may be overthinking. It’s the lakers and Hurley already has an NBA dream.

He’s being courted by one of the most iconic franchises in worldwide sport, not to mention Lebron James.

Ya they have issues, but so would any other team that would hire him, that’s the nature of a team looking for a new coach
Can you imagine how difficult it is to coach that team? LeBron is essentially the acting GM. He, and the team ownership, fans, etc, have no patience for rebuilds. Each year it's championship or bust. It is not likely to be a long-term job because if they don't at least make the Finals by his second year, he's like;y to be be fired. And with the Western Conference as tough as it is, making the Finals is going to be really tough.

Reaction Score
This idea that Hurley didn’t recruit AK to come back is extremely laughable.

It doesn’t mean he did anything wrong.
Why? Jackson initially wanted to come back and Hurley advised him he needed to do what was best for himself financialy.

Do you think he advised AK differently?

Reaction Score
Why? Jackson initially wanted to come back and Hurley advised him he needed to do what was best for himself financialy.
Karaban and Jackson were different situations. He advised Karaban to come back if he wasn’t a first round pick. This isn’t speculation

Reaction Score
Why don’t we save all the AK feelings and transfer speculation until there’s actually a decision…
He is a family guy, not leaving for west coast with parents in Jersey. If knicks or Celtics perhaps. He is not leaving

Reaction Score
The fact that he spent so much time building the roster indicates to me that this Lakers stuff happened within the last 24 hours. Hell, he even went to both of the Coach Roadshow events.

This smells like him putting Benedict's feet to the fire. I wonder what we can realistically afford to pay him? Even 'highest paid coach in CBB' isn't gonna rival what he would get from the Lakers. Christ, Monty Williams got, what 80 million guaranteed from the Pistons? Kerr is making 17.5. Granted, those guys have equity in the pro game but Hurley would command at least 10MM on a long term deal.

And Geno really needs to shut his G_D mouth. He's not being helpful. Dude has NOTHING to be jealous of. Should have just said, 'Well, whatever you decide good luck.'

Reaction Score
He’s being courted by one of the most iconic franchises in worldwide sport, not to mention Lebron James.

LeBron James will be 40 in December. The Lakers are on a downward trajectory. There will be tough sledding ahead. Being successful in the NBA is about coaching teams who are ascending with a young star player. Phil Jackson navigated that landscape perfectly.

awy

Reaction Score
the thing with AK's process is that hurley always framed the question as between going to NBA or being back at Uconn the program. of course they also have a personal relationship but hurley treated it as a personal career decision and offered impartial assessment and not a personal appeal.

Reaction Score
Can you imagine how difficult it is to coach that team? LeBron is essentially the acting GM. He, and the team ownership, fans, etc, have no patience for rebuilds. Each year it's championship or bust. It is not likely to be a long-term job because if they don't at least make the Finals by his second year, he's like;y to be be fired. And with the Western Conference as tough as it is, making the Finals is going to be really tough.
I think the GM and ownership will make it very clear that they’re committing to him long term and the contract will reflect that.

I’m skeptical that Hurley will be successful in the NBA whether it’s in LA or somewhere else. It’s a fundamentally different job and he’s…well…Dan Hurley. But they’re not about to bring him in and expect him to win a title in 2 years when they just got waxed in the first round of the playoffs. They know they need to build.

Reaction Score
Enough with the Karaban & trying to beat up Hurley about it.

If your logical, we should all have understanding at this point why the Lakers offer would be intriguing & tempting- if you don’t understand that not sure why you don’t?

This is a business at the end of the day & I think Hurley has done his very best to be as honest & loyal as possible within the parameters of it being a business.

Reaction Score
This guy literally tracked every single offensive possession the lakers did this season. Hundreds of hours of work. He is the founder of BBALL-Index and consults with NBA teams. But this board who’s watched 10 Lebron games tries to tell me what he’s about.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Earlier this week LeBron intentionally released comments that he missed playing with Kyrie and set off a media storm.

The first day of the NBA finals, this news breaks and sports news is all about the Lakers.

That team is attention-seeking to an embarrassing degree. Not where I would choose to be.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I don't get the Geno hate at all. Geno is Geno. Geno is one of the pillars that's made Storrs the capital of basketball. He's always said what's on his mind for better or worse. He's still ours for the next five years and we should appreciate every one of those years.

Personally, I don't think DH goes. The NBA will be there next year and the year after. The opportunity for a three-peat and history will not. He's already done all the hard work by getting this group together. I think his competitive drive will tell him that he's got a better chance at an enduring legacy seeing this season thru at Storrs than he does as a rookie coach in a rebuilding scenario. I also think his coaching style simply won't work in the NBA and he sorta knows that deep down.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
LeBron James will be 40 in December. The Lakers are on a downward trajectory. There will be tough sledding ahead. Being successful in the NBA is about coaching teams who are ascending with a young star player. Phil Jackson navigated that landscape perfectly.
Plus the added "Circus" of them probably having to draft "Bronny" to please the old man and then having to play him to please the old man even though he isn't qualified to play. That's going to be very tough sledding.

Reaction Score
Earlier this week LeBron intentionally released comments that he missed playing with Kyrie and set off a media storm.

The first day of the NBA finals, this news breaks and sports news is all about the Lakers.

That team is attention-seeking to an embarrassing degree. Not where I would choose to be.
You people confuse me

Reaction Score
What about his wife and how she feels? She is a Jersey girl. He said he didn’t take Kentucky job as he didn’t want to get divorced. What about his parents being in NJ being able to drive to every game. Isn’t that a factor? What about going down as being the best college basketball coach ever if he stays? And the downside of being unsuccessful as an NBA coach and his coaching style not translating to the NBA.
I really don't get the wife's obsession with being near jersey. I get that maybe that's where family is and all, but if they offer Hurley $15 or more million per year, you can cry about missing jersey in your enormous 10k sq ft mansion in the Hollywood Hills and hop on a private jet back to Newark whenever you miss the smell.

Reaction Score
This is absolutely not the job for Danny. Wait a couple years to see if the knicks move on from Thibs. Maybe Popovich steps down in a couple and you get the Spurs as Wemby hits his early prime! I don't want him ever to leave but taking this Lakers job would be rushing it.

back2BE4us

The Carpenter will carpent.
Reaction Score
So isn't it not being considered that once/if UConn moves to a P5 that they could renegotiate Hurley's contract to be closer to a Lakers number?

Is UConn still even pursuing a P5 move?

Reaction Score
I don't get the Geno hate at all. Geno is Geno. Geno is one of the pillars that's made Storrs the capital of basketball. He's always said what's on his mind for better or worse. He's still ours for the next five years and we should appreciate every one of those years.

Personally, I don't think DH goes. The NBA will be there next year and the year after. The opportunity for a three-peat and history will not. He's already done all the hard work by getting this group together. I think his competitive drive will tell him that he's got a better chance at an enduring legacy seeing this season thru at Storrs than he does as a rookie coach in a rebuilding scenario. I also think his coaching style simply won't work in the NBA and he sorta knows that deep down.
Really, you don’t get it at all? Did you hear what was said. No one has an issue with his success

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmoothWilly

Top Bottom