Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 38 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Really, you don’t get it at all? Did you hear what was said. No one has an issue with his success
I heard exactly what he said. I even replayed it to try and see what all the fuss was about. And no, I don't get the fuss.

Some people are just begging to be offended by every little thing.

Reaction Score
FIFY

Half-serious; I think it's fair to say he has a love-hate relationship with the portal.
Everything has its pluses and minuses. The NBA has free agency and star players that make multiples of what their coach makes.

Reaction Score
I’m trying to remain optimistic, but money does talk, so I‘d be surprised if Hurley doesn’t go.

Reaction Score
Here’s a take from Sam Vecenie in the Athletic:

What would Hurley bring as an NBA head coach?​

Hurley is by far the best NBA prospect among college coaches. He runs an intricate, NBA-style offensive system that generates 3s and rim attempts through lots of player movement off screens and dribble-handoffs. It deploys multiple ballhandlers who can initiate the offense into its main actions and disguises its sets well with different variations and counters off the same formations and sets. But the scheme isn’t rigid; Hurley gives his players freedom to play loose and attack based on what the defense is giving them.

Defensively, Hurley has also shown a willingness to adapt to his players’ skills and opponents’ tendencies. He has run drop coverage on pick-and-rolls with bigs like Donovan Clingan and blitzed with more mobile players like Samson Johnson. Last season, he largely brought Adama Sanogo to the level of the screen or deployed him in a show-and-recover scheme.

In terms of scouting, Hurley’s teams were among the most well-prepared in the country. They identified their opponents’ weakness and relentlessly attacked them with pinpoint precision. Once they found a set that worked, they were unafraid to run it multiple times in a row until the opponent stopped it

awy

Reaction Score
a lot of the fluff factors about other college coaches are not relevant. He is confident that he can succeed in the NBA, other coaches before him were just not prepared enough. A guy like pitino failing would probably motivate DH to succeed and show him up. He's always had NBA as the ultimate aim.

The basic issue is what this move would mean for his uconn players and the program. I think he wants to leave on his own terms, after he's accomplished what he set out to do at this level and leave a sustainable program and culture behind. This 3 peat opportunity is historic and he is well aware of it.

I do think his dad's experience means something to him, but it doesn't mean he won't leave. He is just an organization builder, and someone like that won't leave a mess behind.

All of this is to say hopefully he will leave the staff behind to have continuity, or have a more cooperative approach and figure something out that can leave both sides better off.

Reaction Score
I'm not in a position to speculate about what Hurley will do. It all comes down to what he wants his career to look like. If he stays at UConn, he has the opportunity to become an absolute legend in college basketball. Wooden and K. Right now he's a top coach of his era, but he is set up to transcend that to complete legendary status. He would be giving up that opportunity to coach in the NBA. He may absolutely want to give the NBA a try for that experience, and I certainly wouldn't fault him for that. It's an amazing opportunity. But I don't think he has the opportunity to become a legend while coaching in the NBA. It depends what his personal goals are, and everyone would choose differently given the situation.

Reaction Score
Riley's from Schenectady, and talks like a cult leader:

Mazzulla is from Rhode Island, and "that's our psycho" is a running gag in the Celtics fanbase any time he gives a quote:

Reddit - Dive into anything

Okay, so I was wrong about Riley and wrong about Mazzulla. (I should have gone with Carlisle, who’s from Ogdensburg, NY, near the Canadian border, lol)

But my point stands that they’re not stereotypical Jersey/east coast, hair on fire guys, like DH. Or, as the OP put it, fiery, borderline crazy, type A plus personalities.

Reaction Score
I would probably say this any offseason but I was really looking forward to watching the current group of players he's assembled come together and morph into another buzzsaw over the next two seasons. It really does seem like he has "the formula" down on roster construction in the current era of college basketball. For that reason, I selfishly hope he stays but he's also only 16 months removed from thinking he might lose his job. I hope he stays at least another year or two to enjoy being at the top of the mountain after what they've accomplished.
This is what would make me most gutted. It feels like there has never been such a compilation of talent and diversity of talent mixed with culture and lunch pail attitudes ever in this program’s history and I’ve been most excited to see what a developer like Hurley would accomplish with them. If he leaves, who knows, but can’t imagine we will get that full picture

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I’m trying to remain optimistic, but money does talk, so I‘d be surprised if Hurley doesn’t go.
I know it's not the same situation but if you're looking for an optimistic spin, you could have said the same thing about Kentucky.

A lot of people are making assumptions about like $15-20 million but I doubt the Lakers would be looking to make someone with no NBA experience the highest paid coach in the NBA. And if they want to, you couldn't possibly blame him for leaving, so there's that.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My unsolicited prediction when all is said and done:
  • Hurley stays
    • BUT, gets a fat pay raise
  • He'll leave for the NBA after five years or his next championship, which ever comes first.

I would hope DH and DB have had conversations about what a Hurley off ramp to the NBA would look like. I suspect they've talked about timing during the calendar year and turning over the program. A real succession plan.

Reaction Score
I would hope DH and DB have had conversations about what a Hurley off ramp to the NBA would look like. I suspect they've talked about timing during the calendar year and turning over the program. A real succession plan.
I'm guessing not....less leverage that way

Reaction Score
I think the GM and ownership will make it very clear that they’re committing to him long term and the contract will reflect that.

I’m skeptical that Hurley will be successful in the NBA whether it’s in LA or somewhere else. It’s a fundamentally different job and he’s…well…Dan Hurley. But they’re not about to bring him in and expect him to win a title in 2 years when they just got waxed in the first round of the playoffs. They know they need to build.
LeBron is 40, I think? He is NOT looking to rebuild. They may give Dan a long term contract, but that wouldn't stop them from firing him after 2 years of no results, as long as they were willing to eat the contract money.

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
I think Hurley told Karaban if you’re not going in the first round come back(as he’s stated) Karaban has said as much. In multiple interviews he said “Coach thought this is what was best for me”. I think Hurley saying that carried a lot of weight for Alex.

I don’t think he didn’t give Karaban advice. Thats silly.

I don’t think he gives Karaban advice to come back without telling him he might not be there.

I’m choosing to believe he’s staying because of this. The alternative doesn’t fit him imo.
agreed
pretty sure when he left URI he did not want them to be gutted (no poaching coaches/players)
he's gotta know that if he and his coaches leave now, UConn will be more than gutted and torn apart

Reaction Score
a lot of the fluff factors about other college coaches are not relevant. He is confident that he can succeed in the NBA, other coaches before him were just not prepared enough. A guy like pitino failing would probably motivate DH to succeed and show him up. He's always had NBA as the ultimate aim.

The basic issue is what this move would mean for his uconn players and the program. I think he wants to leave on his own terms, after he's accomplished what he set out to do at this level and leave a sustainable program and culture behind. This 3 peat opportunity is historic and he is well aware of it.

I do think his dad's experience means something to him, but it doesn't mean he won't leave. He is just an organization builder, and someone like that won't leave a mess behind.

All of this is to say hopefully he will leave the staff behind to have continuity, or have a more cooperative approach and figure something out that can leave both sides better off.
If he for one second believes he'll be allowed to build the lakers the way he wants, absent any interference from the Buss Kids, he's sadly and sorely mistaken. And this puts aside the inevitable interference from whatever star player the Lakers decide that they just have to sign next.

Doesn't mean he won't take the job. It just means he's gonna have to compromise his standards more than just a little bit.

Reaction Score
Guys, it's borrowed time either way. The Knicks will offer him in a few years regardless. If I were Dan, I'd push UConn for the next couple years and then take the Knicks job (or Nets). Go down as the greatest coach since Wooden, maybe even greater, and then bring the Knicks back from the abyss. That would be the dream scenario.
Either way I'm going to root for him no matter if he's at UConn or somewhere else, as long as its not a college job.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmoothWilly

Top Bottom