Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 39 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
My suggestion to shut the thread down 10 pages ago apparently failed. Alright, UConn can take a shot at keeping him at 10 million a year if possible. If not bye bye. The biggest thing in my mind is keeping the staff. Should they go with him it would be a temporary catastrophe. BUT if Luke and Kimani stay we could be perfectly fine because they are a big part of the offense that emerged from what we hear.

awy

Reaction Score
a lot of the family influence stuff isn't necessarily advantage for the college job. the college job is becoming a lot more time consuming and tedious, and hurley has complained about it taking up family time. but, being the lakers coach isn't exactly a professorial retreat either.

cwh20

Six is good!
Reaction Score
My guess is that Hurley stays at UConn. The overriding factors are going for the championship three-peat and choosing to stay on the east coast if and when he does take an NBA job.

He’ll get paid well next year so even though the Laker’s job would pay substantially more it is still millions vs millions. I also can’t see his marketability taking a serious hit if he stays at UConn so why not coach UConn while waiting out an NBA job in the northeast with the Knicks, Nets, Sixers or whoever.

As for addressing some of the downsides of college hoops DH lives for all of basketball so I think the NIL and portal is less of a drain and deterrent on him than maybe it is for some other head coaches. Anyway I hope I’m reading what Hurley values correctly but with all that said I really wish his son Andrew had another year of eligibility left.

Reaction Score
Okay, so I was wrong about Riley and wrong about Mazzulla. (I should have gone with Carlisle, who’s from Ogdensburg, NY, near the Canadian border, lol)

But my point stands that they’re not stereotypical Jersey/east coast, hair on fire guys, like DH. Or, as the OP put it, fiery, borderline crazy, type A plus personalities.
They definitely are, tho.

Reaction Score
I heard exactly what he said. I even replayed it to try and see what all the fuss was about. And no, I don't get the fuss.

Some people are just begging to be offended by every little thing.
It’s not offensive, it’s just bizarre. Why is a UConn coach talking publicly about another UConn coach being crazy not to accept another offer to leave UConn.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I like all posts I read. it helps me keep track so I know what I have read
I would tell you that the site will automatically take you to the next unread post, but I like getting all the likes.;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s not offensive, it’s just bizarre. Why is a UConn coach talking publicly about another UConn coach being crazy not to accept another offer to leave UConn.
Because its the Lakers. Its not like its the Detroit pistons calling. They're the pinnacle brand of the NBA

Reaction Score
Michael Kay speculating that Luke Murray could take over.

Also floated the idea that this could be a backdoor play to shove LeBron out the door in L.A.; not hiring 'his' guy and committing long term to a rookie HC cements a new direction for the organization, away from 'win now'.

CL82

Reaction Score
I appear to be in the minority but coming off back to back national championships I'd be pretty underwhelmed if the replacement is Luke Murray or Kimani Young. I think they're both going to be great head coaches, but UConn should not be a first head coaching job
I hear you, but the timing kind of sucks.

CL82

Reaction Score
Viola Davis No GIF by ABC Network

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is like recruiting situations. It's a deeply personal choice for Hurley and his family. He values loyalty quite highly and I suspect would feel bad leaving right now. Yet the opportunity could be a "once in a lifetime" chance for him to tackle the highest level of his profession on its biggest stage.

I don't think this is about leverage, or posturing or any of that. I simply don't think Dan knows what he wants to do. He's almost certainly very torn by the prospect of leaving UConn, leaving a team he built, leaving that success and yet the opportunity afforded him is the pinnacle, it's the very top.

Can't be an easy one. He can't lose, there's no bad choice. Just two great ones.

Reaction Score
Look, I'll be honest - I don't think I can describe how bad
This is like recruiting situations. It's a deeply personal choice for Hurley and his family. He values loyalty quite highly and I suspect would feel bad leaving right now. Yet the opportunity could be a "once in a lifetime" chance for him to tackle the highest level of his profession on its biggest stage.

I don't think this is about leverage, or posturing or any of that. I simply don't think Dan knows what he wants to do. He's almost certainly very torn by the prospect of leaving UConn, leaving a team he built, leaving that success and yet the opportunity afforded him is the pinnacle, it's the very top.

Can't be an easy one. He can't lose, there's no bad choice. Just two great ones.
I honestly don't believe its a "once in a lifetime" if Hurley is as good a coach as we believe.

Reaction Score
The NBA will always be there for him, but he’ll likely only have one chance to ever 3 peat in college. If I were him, get $10m a year from UConn, and leave for the Knicks in a few years for a huge paycheck. If he wins in NY, he’d be the king of the city for the rest of his life.

Reaction Score
Bold claim given that John Wooden's been dead for 15 years and Riley splits his time between a beachside crib in Surfside and a beachside crib in Malibu.
Wooden is a legend. Riley lives the highlife which has an expiration date.

Reaction Score
Because he knows that talking about a no-hitter in progress has no impact on the outcome

Reaction Score
Guys, it's borrowed time either way. The Knicks will offer him in a few years regardless. If I were Dan, I'd push UConn for the next couple years and then take the Knicks job (or Nets). Go down as the greatest coach since Wooden, maybe even greater, and then bring the Knicks back from the abyss. That would be the dream scenario.
Either way I'm going to root for him no matter if he's at UConn or somewhere else, as long as its not a college job.

Reaction Score

I’ll never be on the same page with those who believe the NBA represents the pinnacle of coaching compared to one of the elite programs in NCAA D1 ball.

Yeah, it’s more money, but there’s a reason the Lakers are backing up the Brinks truck for Hurley.

Reaction Score
Hurley is a great coach, but don’t see his style translating to NBA as NBA players are selfish prima donnas and are not willing to buy in the selfless sacrifice team culture concept. Every team has a handful of players who are ball hogs and care more about their stats then winning. Every team has some players with big Egos who think they know better than the coach. Being an NBA coach is mostly about being a psychologist.

All that said Lakers have some talent so it is a good offer, and Lebron does want to win.

Reaction Score
Guys, it's borrowed time either way. The Knicks will offer him in a few years regardless. If I were Dan, I'd push UConn for the next couple years and then take the Knicks job (or Nets). Go down as the greatest coach since Wooden, maybe even greater, and then bring the Knicks back from the abyss. That would be the dream scenario.
Either way I'm going to root for him no matter if he's at UConn or somewhere else, as long as its not a college job.
Like this take but think he stays 4 or 5 more years at UConn, establishes his legacy as the best college coach ever with a couple more titles. And then he gets an NBA job in the Northeast where he coaches there and wins an NBA title, retiring at 60 as he has said he will not coach behind 60.

Reaction Score
My unsolicited prediction when all is said and done:
  • Hurley stays
    • BUT, gets a fat pay raise
  • He'll leave for the NBA after five years or his next championship, which ever comes first.

And this I'd be fine with. Sad of course, but fine and looking forward to UConn's next chapter.

If he leaves now, then I'm sorry, it makes me lose some respect considering what he's said and portrayed himself to care about and value.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UCjungle

Top Bottom