Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 40 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The NBA will always be there for him, but he’ll likely only have one chance to ever 3 peat in college. If I were him, get $10m a year from UConn, and leave for the Knicks in a few years for a huge paycheck. If he wins in NY, he’d be the king of the city for the rest of his life.
Don’t know why everyone thinks thibs is a few years away from being fired? He’s killing it with this group.

Reaction Score
He did not get AK to come back, from all accounts.

Who are you trying to convince here ? Karaban came back based on the possibility of making history at UConn next year and because his draft status wasn't good enough to stay in the draft.

Clearly, coming back to play for the reigning coach of the year coming off back to back titles was absolutely part of that calculation. Nobody is claiming Dan Hurley personally begged Alex to come back.

Reaction Score
It might just be ESPN “experts,” but I heard someone say it’s almost self-analysis by the Lakers front office, i.e., “we have a bad culture, so we NEED someone who’s built a successful culture to come in and build us a new culture.”
Which is why the idea that he's going to be able to work under that ownership and create that culture is a non-starter.

Reaction Score
It’s not offensive, it’s just bizarre. Why is a UConn coach talking publicly about another UConn coach being crazy not to accept another offer to leave UConn.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of the joke. That he thinks Danny IS crazy enough not to take it.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Guys, it's borrowed time either way. The Knicks will offer him in a few years regardless. If I were Dan, I'd push UConn for the next couple years and then take the Knicks job (or Nets). Go down as the greatest coach since Wooden, maybe even greater, and then bring the Knicks back from the abyss. That would be the dream scenario.
Either way I'm going to root for him no matter if he's at UConn or somewhere else, as long as its not a college job.
I was just telling some friends that if it were the Knicks it would’ve been finalized already. Younger, good team and could basically stay in this area.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Look, I'll be honest - I don't think I can describe how bad

I honestly don't believe its a "once in a lifetime" if Hurley is as good a coach as we believe.
Is the NBA once in a lifetime? No. Is the chance to coach one of the two franchises that are clearly a few notches above the rest once in a lifetime? Yeah, probably. He might well get a chance to coach Charlotte, Sacramento or Memphis or if he's really lucky, the Knicks or Sixers. But Lakers/Celtics? This is probably his one shot.

Nickiiiv

NICKIIIV
Reaction Score
I'm sure it's been mentioned but Hurley literally just flashed 1,2,3 fingers the other night calling his next move at UFC 302.... he's a husky... for now

Reaction Score
I think Hurley goes and I wish him the absolute best we are talking about a top 5 prestige job in sports. It'll be interesting to see how UConn recovers but regardless Hurley will always be on UConn's Rushmore and should be treated as such by our fanbase.

Reaction Score
I was just telling some friends that if it were the Knicks it would’ve been finalized already. Younger, good team and could basically stay in this area.

Yeah, the Knicks are clearly the better job right now. DH should wait for a young team that is rising. Orlando right now would be perfect. The lakers are an old team getting older.

Reaction Score
Last thing Danny wants is for the Program to implode if he leaves. This was not planned. Everyone is surprised. This is very different than leaving when strong hints have been made and their is time to plan and adjust. This will undoubtedly hurt the Program hard and this must be waning on him.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley goes and I wish him the absolute best we are talking about a top 5 prestige job in sports. It'll be interesting to see how UConn recovers but regardless Hurley will always be on UConn's Rushmore and should be treated as such by our fanbase.
I'm not sure if he stays or goes, but I'm with you in that we need to show him respect whatever he decides. It'd be pretty sad to see even one uconn fan turn on him. All the love, DH.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I hear you, but the timing kind of sucks.

The game of musical chairs is over, with the only exception being OUR PLAYERS if Danny leaves. The only way to avoid going back to scouting on YouTube to fill out the 2024-25 roster is promoting Kimani or Luke.

This timing doesn't kinda suck. It is the absolute worst. We'd be put in the position of getting raided and not being able to do anything about it. Other than poaching some other team's coach and players. Yuck.

I was really getting excited about this team. The returnees and the new guys.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if he stays or goes, but I'm with you in that we need to show him respect whatever he decides. It'd be pretty sad to see even one uconn fan turn on him. All the love, DH.
No issue with whatever he does, just seems unfair timing for the kids and program he's taken to a near UCLA Wooden level. This is why I try not to knock kids for jumping ship, coaches can do it at anytime. Being a high level athlete or coach involves ego and a high degree of self-interest. I say the same thing about the corporate world. People can be laid off at anytime so people need to look out for themselves. However, leaving a corporate job doesn't entail the same level of collateral damage as leaving a college program.

Reaction Score
We are supposed to believe that Dan Hurley is going to walk away from Alex Karaban who could have stayed in but turned his back on the NBA to come back BECAUSE he loves playing for Hurley and UConn and wants to go for number 3? Nope.

Reaction Score
The game of musical chairs is over, with the only exception being OUR PLAYERS if Danny leaves. The only way to avoid going back to scouting on YouTube to fill out the 2024-25 roster is promoting Kimani or Luke.

This timing doesn't kinda suck. It is the absolute worst. We'd be put in the position of getting raided and not being able to do anything about it. Other than poaching some other team's coach and players. Yuck.

I was really getting excited about this team. The returnees and the new guys.

I blame this all on Kwintin Williams committing to the "Stars of Storrs" team

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I understand I am on the newer side as a member. I was on previous boards but from 2010 to 2022, honestly was two busy working traveling and starting a family that I had very little spare time. I just wanted to offer that as context to my next question?

If Hurley leaves will that be the worst/saddest day to be a UConn men’s basketball fan in our history.

In thinking about it a few came to mind and I thought about starting a thread but we are a very sensitive edgy group right now.

It almost feels like a family member has been kidnapped and we don’t know if they will be returned.

For my list and this is just off the top of my head more may come:

1) The day JC announced his retirement
2) The loss to George Mason
3) The five ot loss to Syracuse in the BE tourney? This one could come off the list but it was bad.
4) The day we joined the AAC and I thought we would never be a national contender again.

Today turned out to be a really **ty day…………..

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom