Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 35 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
In my opinion, this might be a good thing for us long-term. Think about it: our coach is leaving for only the best job in world basketball. We have won titles with three different coaches. This elevates the UConn job even further in my opinion. It might hurt in the short term, but long term I believe this helps us.
Dan Hurleys don't grow on trees. This is not good short term or long term, especially with the realignment and pay for play stuff going on.

It's very on brand for UConn though. Things are going extraordinarily well so the rug has to get pulled out from under us. Can't be having too much fun.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
In my opinion, this might be a good thing for us long-term. Think about it: our coach is leaving for only the best job in world basketball. We have won titles with three different coaches. This elevates the UConn job even further in my opinion. It might hurt in the short term, but long term I believe this helps us.

Maximum copium: Achievement unlocked.

Reaction Score
If Hurley goes, more power to him and best of luck. I'll be a fan. What he has done for UConn is amazing.
Hurley is already a UConn great. He could be the greatest college coach of all time if he stays.

But...this is why Calhoun and Geno will ALWAYS be the legends among legends.

Reaction Score
This idea that Hurley didn’t recruit AK to come back is extremely laughable.

It doesn’t mean he did anything wrong.
I'm sure he told Alex he'd have his spot waiting for him and gave him his opinion. But people using it to spin some negative narrative around Hurley, without knowing any facts, is pretty gross

Reaction Score
The Lakers were eliminated on April 29th. What the hell have they been doing for the last 5 weeks?
I wondered about that too. I’ve read that DH was their #1 option all along, but while they waited out the transfer portal, they threw out some other names and did due diligence by interviewing them, in case Hurley said no.

Reaction Score
You’re right. Because he is a Jersey guy and family is important. This is more of a factor than most think. Staying in the Northeast
The odds of the Celtics, Knicks, Sixers, or Nets job opening in the next 5 years is pretty high Id say. This would not be his last best shot at an attractive job for him.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The timing of this announcement was absolutely the Lakers wanted to steal some thunder from the NBA finals (and the Celtics).

If Woj and Hurley have a relationship, I imagine Woj would have run it by DH prior to release, not as asking for permission, merely a heads up out of respect, but this was fully the Lakers wanting attention.

Conspiracy theorists (I am one to a small level on this one) can claim that ESPN out this on a loop that repeated every ten minutes this morning to knock us down a little as the results of a few men's and women's baseball/softball tournament games led the to give us a 2 1/2 hour UConn athletics infomercial on their main station, showing the country that we are good in more than merely basketball.

I wish DH the best regardless of his decision but I believe that if he does take the Lakers job he'll be looking for his next job in a few years. Sadly, at that point we very likely won't be in a position to bring him back as his replacement will be working on another national title. We've won them before Danny got here and we'll win them after he leaves.

98Uconn

NL1MF
Reaction Score
Spending my day down in the dumps more than I feel is reasonable for something only tangentially affecting my life; I keep reminding myself of the Willie Davis “It’s not my life, it’s not my wife” quote.

Reaction Score
Man this is such summer bummer news. Got to think if Hurley goes, there is a mass exodus of players and potential 3 peat turns into a bottom tier finish in the big east.

Reaction Score
I'm sure he told Alex he'd have his spot waiting for him and gave him his opinion. But people using it to spin some negative narrative around Hurley, without knowing any facts, is pretty gross
I think Hurley told Karaban if you’re not going in the first round come back(as he’s stated) Karaban has said as much. In multiple interviews he said “Coach thought this is what was best for me”. I think Hurley saying that carried a lot of weight for Alex.

I don’t think he didn’t give Karaban advice. Thats silly.

I don’t think he gives Karaban advice to come back without telling him he might not be there.

I’m choosing to believe he’s staying because of this. The alternative doesn’t fit him imo.

Reaction Score
I keep playing it through in my head and the money is really the only sure thing that's a lure for me.

On a 7 year deal....

1) You get Lebron for 2 years and he's way beyond his ability to carry a team to a title, especially in the West.
2) You get an aging AD for 5 years? And he's also not enough to carry that team.
3) For the next 2-3 years? You won't be bad enough to get a high enough draft pick to make an immediate impact.
4) Even if you draft really well the next 3 years and Lebron leaves? A new "Luka" or "Wemby" isn't going to bring you to a conference finals for 3 more years? At that point you're at the tail end of Hurley's initial deal.

So you go there. And again, outside the money, you deal with Lebron's garbage and help try to strike gold rebuilding with the #13-#15 draft pick every year?

I just think the timing and where that team is going isn't a great spot for that deal. Aside from the bag of money.
Think you may be overthinking. It’s the lakers and Hurley already has an NBA dream.

He’s being courted by one of the most iconic franchises in worldwide sport, not to mention Lebron James.

Ya they have issues, but so would any other team that would hire him, that’s the nature of a team looking for a new coach

Reaction Score
I feel like there’s an added unknown here. The possibility exists that the Lakers could fill their head coaching position now, have another team draft Bronny (like the Suns), and then see LeBron walk before next season to join his son. That’s a rather large unknown. It’s not a given that LeBron will be a Laker next season. Odds are he will be, but it’s not a certainty.

Reaction Score
Think you may be overthinking. It’s the lakers and Hurley already has an NBA dream.

He’s being courted by one of the most iconic franchises in worldwide sport, not to mention Lebron James.

Ya they have issues, but so would any other team that would hire him, that’s the nature of a team looking for a new coach
Yeah, I don't agree. If Pop retired tomorrow and San Antonio came after him, that's not a better scenario? Or Dallas? Or the Celtics? Or the Knicks?

Reaction Score
Karaban came back because of Hurley being able to develop him into a first round pick. If he knew Hurley was about to bolt to the NBA, he probably would have stayed in the draft and taken his chances. He must feel slightly ticked off…

Reaction Score
Karaban came back because of Hurley being able to develop him into a first round pick. If he knew Hurley was about to bolt to the NBA, he probably would have stayed in the draft and taken his chances. He must feel slightly ticked off…
Ok so I’m not insane

Reaction Score
Michael Malone won last year's title. Joe Mazzulla won 64 games this year and has his team in the finals. Rick Carlisle got his team to the final of the inaugural IST and the East finals. Tom Thibodeau led the Knicks to their best season in 25 years. Pat Riley remains one of the most successful and influential execs in the league.

Of all the nonsense takes in this thread, "east coast type A personalities don't work in the NBA" might win first prize. Well done.
I’m no expert, but isn’t Riley originally from western Pennsylvania? Mazzulla from WV?

More to the point, I think ”fiery, borderline crazy, type A plus” being an issue was really what he was trying to say.

Reaction Score
I cant wait
Spending my day down in the dumps more than I feel is reasonable for something only tangentially affecting my life; I keep reminding myself of the Willie Davis “It’s not my life, it’s not my wife” quote.
Its a big deal. At this point in my life, fandom is becoming more important again. The kids are older and less dependent on me, my career has been basically stable for 25 years and older generations of my family are slowly fading away. The Dan Hurley years really brought back my passion for the program and the school in general. It gave me something to focus on and to look forward to and take pride in. Losing Hurley will be very painful. However, coaching searches are fun and getting another great coach would be really exciting. Hopefully, this turns out well one way or another.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmoothWilly

Top Bottom