Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 31 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The leak/story coming from Woj as an NBA guy almost means it is via the Lakers and it included a LOT more details on what the Lakers are doing, possible Lakers-based reasoning and that they are working up an offer. And as I've said the timing WREAKS of Lakers 'pay attention to US' behavior coming on the eve of game 1 of the NBA finals. Now this gets mentioned on the telecast and the Lakers & LeBron stay relevant.

Silver lining there is that press strategy could mean this is more of a headline play than an actual imminent deal. The JJ Reddick rumor was played out and had turned to mostly negative response. And unlike typical Woj bombs which are done deals this is news of an offer.

That's the conventional wisdom and you're probably right, but Danny's agent has a known Woj connection. And what do the Lakers get out of leaking this? (Also nothing in there couldn't come from Danny's side based on what the Lakers have said.)

Certainly my initial reaction was that it came from the Lakers but I don't know what they get out of it, frankly. PR seems flimsy.

Reaction Score
Of course he came back, in part, to be coached by Hurley. But at the end of the day, he wasn't going in the draft where he needed to be so he took the $. It's either go to UConn or find another coach to play for--which he will have ample opportunity to do if Hurley leaves.

There is no conspiracy here, Ant.
I’m not saying there is some conspiracy. What I’m saying is Hurley is known to be a loyal guy. It just seems outside of his character unless he told AK this was a possibility. The 2 week timeline with the lakers is odd when Alex committed to Hurley a week ago.

I’m of the belief it was Hurley/UConn or the NBA for Alex. He never intended to come back to school and play somewhere else.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Trilly apparently saying staff is preparing for him to go. Trilly says a lot of stuff.

Reaction Score
The one saving grace I’m holding on to is there is no way Hurley convinced Karaban to come back while talking with the Lakers. That seems outside of his character
I am throwing down the copium, so this works for me.

Reaction Score
He might get $20 million a year from the fakers, and guessing a new UConn extension would be around $10 million annually. We’ll see, it’s not 20m vs 5m

Reaction Score
i think hes gone. the lakers are going to throw crazy money at him. maybe $90mil for 6 years

Reaction Score
I’m not saying there is some conspiracy. What I’m saying is Hurley is known to be a loyal guy. It just seems outside of his character unless he told AK this was a possibility. The 2 week timeline with the lakers is odd when Alex committed to Hurley a week ago.

I’m of the belief it was Hurley/UConn or the NBA for Alex. He never intended to come back to school and play somewhere else.
I don't think Hurley was that involved in Karaban's decision. He's said plenty of times he's not going to try and sway a kid in any direction. After the season he said Alex should leave if he's going in the 1st round and come back if he wasn't. He wasn't projected as a 1st rounder, so he came back

Reaction Score
I don't think Hurley was that involved in Karaban's decision. He's said plenty of times he's not going to try and sway a kid in any direction. After the season he said Alex should leave if he's going in the 1st round and come back if he wasn't. He wasn't projected as a 1st rounder, so he came back
I’m not disagreeing. But I just find it hard to believe AK comes back not knowing who his coach is going to be. Maybe he just loves UConn that much. But most guys commit to coaches not universities.

Also that was Hurleys advice. AK has stated publicly that it was a last minute 50/50 decision which means he was open to being drafted in the 2nd round. He came back to be developed and coached by Dan Hurley.

Reaction Score
Donovan could get any college job any time he wants. He's choosing to stay in the NBA. I don't see him convincing Hurley to stay in college.
Plus Donovan really has no idea what the modern college game is, in terms of active management.

I don’t see anyone convincing Danny one way or the other. He’s gonna make his own choice.

Reaction Score
He was loyal to Rhody, too, until he wasn't. If he does leave, take a lesson from URI... Hire a coach that you know can HC...don't elevate an assistant for the sake of 'keeping the roster'...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom