Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 26 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
Lebron has played under 9 coaches in his 21 year career. 7 of them have been fired. Hurley wants to sign up to play for that guy? Really?
if he really didn't, he would have said no immediately

Reaction Score
A few points, which after 26 pages was probably covered by some other poster.

1) I have no problem with any of this, except ONE thing. Avoidance of betrayal to our current players and recruits. As long as DH was upfront and stressed only a pro team on the level of LA, NY or Boston, would make him jump, I am Ok, and so would the players. Who wouldn’t make a jump to the NBA if offered? Keeping the culture of openness, truthfulness etc. going forward is critical to the program recovering from this. Any bad blood and players leaving would be utter disaster. TBD.

2) While the Lakers move IS a no brainer from many aspects, it IS NOT, the best possible for DH. Boston and NY are likely more desirable to a northeastern raised family like the Hurley’s.

3) I kinda like the challenge of the short term impact on 3 ’peating with all the adversity that will come with all of this. As long as the long term parameters of the program are retained and the culture is not harmed.

Reaction Score
If DH leaves, this is analogous to top PGA players leaving for the LIV Tour - after initially saying they're against it. It's all about the $$$.

Reaction Score
To that point of coaching LeBron, he can do that while making $15M+ per year or whatever the offer is, live in LA, be the media darling he is and either 1. LeBron retires and Hurley gets the culture keys or 2. Hurley gets canned in 2 years with a new pile of cash and has his pick of coaching gigs in NBA or NCAA or media.

And regarding AD David Benedict choosing the next coach, what potentials have ties to the NE? Billy Donovan would be a dream if that's how it shook out

Reaction Score
That is probably a call that should be made if there is a vacancy.
Because his last name is Hurley? As much as I hate to say it he was maybe the greatest college point guard of all time but he can’t hold a candle to his brother as a coach.

Reaction Score
His agent is going to make him hear their offer out no matter what. I just don’t think he leaves. Lamont gotta step up here and make a big time commitment

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Have to believe that the leak to Woj came from the Hurley family. He's had a relationship with them for sometime.

And if that's the case, you only do it for 2 reasons: (1) soften the ground for the eventual move; or (2) contract negotiations ploy.

They're not mutually exclusive, I suppose.

Reaction Score
Sigh...after reading that DH talked to his team about this this morning, I now think he's gone. What a nightmare scenario.

Reaction Score
Not when he is looking for a new contract here. That's what his agent was mad at him regarding the Kentucky job.

Reaction Score
IDK, if I were the Lakers considering getting this done, why on Earth would I leak it to an ESPN reporter ???
Could be Hurley who did. More money. More profile for recruitment

Reaction Score
Not when he is looking for a new contract here. That's what his agent was mad at him regarding the Kentucky job.
but why? if he really loves this school, why do stuff like this to get more money from uconn. seems like backhanding the school that has been with him through all of this.

Reaction Score
I’m
Lebron has played under 9 coaches in his 21 year career. 7 of them have been fired. Hurley wants to sign up to play for that guy? Really?
Lebron has 1-2 years max. This move is for Post LeBron, come on.

Reaction Score
I think the leaving after getting Alex to put the NBA on hold and come back would tarnish his reputation. It would for me. I’d be mostly happy for him and sad for UConn, but that piece I would be mad about.
Wait, Hurley actively worked to convince Alex to pull out of the draft?

Reaction Score
Interesting how 'basketball' people perceive the Lakers. I view them as a 'has been' like UCLA and Indiana in ncaa. Not irrelevant but far far removed from the top of the heap. I've read post downplaying the Knicks but I don't think the Lakers is much different. I would think you would need to have a clear vision of a winning roster virtually immediately in order to take the job, because NBA honeymoons aren't long.

Reaction Score
And if that's the case, you only do it for 2 reasons: (1) soften the ground for the eventual move; or (2) contract negotiations ploy.

They're not mutually exclusive, I suppose.
Or you do it because you really don't know what you're going to decide but you think informing the team is the right thing to do.

"Yes the Lakers reached out and im having a conversation with them. It's what any of you should do when it comes to your professional life. If someone offers you an opportunity at least hear them out. Now let's get to practice"

awy

Reaction Score
i mean he could just leave next year. get the people talking about it, win 3 in a row, and hand off the reins to the next guy up. it's not like the lakers will find someone special this year.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think Hurley goes.

When the whole Kentucky HC job was being discussed, he came out pretty quick and said "not interested".

Instead, with the Lakers job, he told the players that he's in "discussions" with them to become the next HC. Sounds a bit like he's just finalizing the details.

And like you said, 7 fired coaches who have coached teams Lebron is on. NBA HC's for the most part are disposable. I guess it boils down to importance - $, or something else...

Reaction Score
but why? if he really loves this school, why do stuff like this to get more money from uconn. seems like backhanding the school that has been with him through all of this.
Not saying he’s staying or leaving but he 100% deserves to be the highest paid coach in college basketball. If this is part of his negotiation then so be it.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Hurley would be a fool not to listen to an offer from the Lakers. Doesn't mean he takes. I think he stays.

Most of what I have read on this thread is absolutely crazy. No one has any idea of what is going on, what has been said.

Hurley got the new contract. He is looking for an extension.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UConn was already going to pay Hurley as much as it can reasonably afford. There is not much point in putting the hammer to them. Maybe Hurley is trying to leverage the Lakers into true insanity-level cash.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom