Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 25 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
Probably not about straight up money, but rather what Hurley perfers to do in the day-to-day job routine.

The college coaching job has changed drastically in the last few years with NIL. Having to basically re-recruit your team every year, spending more and more time sucking up to the NIL donors, and more changes still to come with direct payments, possible additional conference realignement, and changes to the NCAA are all headwinds against him staying when he has other options.

My guess is he’s spoken at length to his buddy Billy Donovan about life as an NBA coach, and those discussions will be among important considerations in his decision.
and Jay Wright, too :(

It is a notion among many fans and press people that Jay Wright left due to the changing landscape of college basketball.

Reaction Score
All the problems with Kentucky (overinflated sense of entitlement, think they can get exactly who they want if they throw enough money at them then temper tantrum if their target feels happier where they are, hostile environment that will without fail call for your head the moment things go south of "we're guaranteed to win a title this year," storied history with not much ACTUALLY doing the last decade+, much more individualistic culture than team-oriented) are amplified x10000 at the Lakers. With all that in mind I really don't know that I believe this is anything more than doing his agent his due diligence in contract negotiations with UConn.

Reaction Score
I think the leaving after getting Alex to put the NBA on hold and come back would tarnish his reputation. It would for me. I’d be mostly happy for him and sad for UConn, but that piece I would be mad about.
Alex can still go to the NBA. Unless I’m mistaken

Reaction Score
lebron is a collaborator with hurley and will be pretty coachable. he's the reason hurley will have buy in from all the players. it's fun to joke about leCoach etc but let's be real.
No.
LeBron is and has always been the hardest player to coach in the NBA bar none. Only Spoelstra survived and flourished both with and without LeBron.

LeBron coach killer player history:
Cleveland I: Paul Silas, Brendan Malone, Mike Brown - All FIRED
Heat: Spoelstra
Cleveland II: David Blatt (prob most similar to Hurley), Ty Lue (fired 6 games AFTER LeBron left, 0-6 season start)
Lakers: Luke Walton, Frank Vogel, Darvin Ham - All FIRED

That's 7 coaching scalps, 1 survivor and 1 let's say amicable separation.

Reaction Score
He spoke with the team saying he’s in talks with LA. I mean, he had to. It’s the biggest story in the country right now. But I’m not optimistic.

Reaction Score
On the “I trust my surgeon with my life to perform successful open heart surgery” 1-10 scale how much do we trust Sam Amico’s reporting these days ?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I’d be surprised if Hurley wasn’t transparent about this with Alex during the process. Alex loves UConn wants the 3peat but he was making the best decision for himself individually so he very well may have known this was a possibility and still came back. And as vomit inducing this is to think about, if Dan leaves, and Alex decides UConn isn’t the best fit anymore with the portal and nil he’s not stuck he’ll have other options

Part of the negotiation was Alex forcing Dan out the door so Alex could come back as a player/coach.

Reaction Score
No.
LeBron is and has always been the hardest player to coach in the NBA bar none. Only Spoelstra survived and flourished both with and without LeBron.

LeBron coach killer player history:
Cleveland I: Paul Silas, Brendan Malone, Mike Brown - All FIRED
Heat: Spoelstra
Cleveland II: David Blatt (prob most similar to Hurley), Ty Lue (fired 6 games AFTER LeBron left, 0-6 season start)
Lakers: Luke Walton, Frank Vogel, Darvin Ham - All FIRED

That's 7 coaching scalps, 1 survivor and 1 let's say amicable separation.
Brendan Malone was an interim coach who was not fired. But yes not a good track record for his HC's.

Reaction Score
Build a legacy or build a bigger bank account. One lives on. The other perishes.
Is this a real message? I honestly can comprehend how unserious this board is. Winning at uconn and creating a legacy here is amazing. But this so different. The Lakers are the most storied franchise in BASKETBALL. If he wins on the Lakers he cements his legacy at the pinnacle of the sport. Hurley is absolutely thinking about this during his move. It’s not just a money move, it’s a legacy move.

Reaction Score
I personally would be a bit taken if DH leaves. According to the story, this Lakers discussion has been going on for a while, and DH has had several events where he has given no indication he is even thinking about it. It would not be a good look for him for UConn fans and alumni.

Reaction Score
If he didn't win that ring with lebron he would have been out of the league a long time ago. So yes he is coaching right now because of lebron.

Wildest take I've seen in a while. He took a Clippers team to the playoffs that got 31 games out of Paul George and zero out of Kawhi.

Coaches with a .600 winning percentage don't grow on trees. He would have long flamed out if he were a terrible coach "made" by LeBron.

Reaction Score
we are screwed if he decides to go through with this. no doubt we will have people leave in the coach transfer portal window. not to mention '25 recruiting would be in the dumps. this one hurts

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Well it’s awkward and a huge distraction but this is obviously better than him cancelling or postponing practice..

Yeah. I don't like reading that but what else was he supposed to do? Cancel practice? Pretend like Woj didn't Tweet that?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom