Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 24 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
At the time Hurly committed here It was probably not considered the best move. Our team was floundering.
Yes but in college you can control and engineer the rebuild yourself as the coach/GM of the program. And you don't have to lose to rebuild.

The Lakers job is most likely
24/25-25/26: 2 years as pretender, try to add Trey Young or some other free agent to get you OUT OF THE PLAY-IN GAME, you are still battling for a spot among a much YOUNGER top 4 of Denver, MN, OKC and Dallas. And battle LeBron's passive aggressive influence on both GM and coach. Your youth is 26yr olds Hachimura and Reeves + 25yr old Gabe Vincent, Jarred Vanderbilt and Cam Reddish?! You get to coach the epitome of the type of player that Hurley keeps out of UConn program in D'Angelo Russell.
+Babysit Bronny James who couldn't crack the starting lineup for an under .500 college team.
26/27-27/28: Phase out LeBron, AD battles more injuries but still dictates I don't want to play center, Begin tanking
28/29: Tanking and/or lottery prayer hopes answered, might want to consult Rick Pitino on this. The lottery savior is likely 14-15 right now so a college coach's advantage is this is someone they know of on recruiting radar.

I've thought the real risk is Joe Mazzulla craps the bed this year and next and the Celtics come calling. Leaving for the Lakers situation is taking a payday with a very high risk of failure.

Reaction Score
Lakers seem like the wrong spot. An aging Lebron who has some history of turning on the coach. What is the average tenure of a Lakers coach post Phil Jackson? 2 years? I know guaranteed $$ fixes thos issues... but why take such a job when its likely you are gone very quickly.

awy

Reaction Score
lebron is a collaborator with hurley and will be pretty coachable. he's the reason hurley will have buy in from all the players. it's fun to joke about leCoach etc but let's be real.

Reaction Score
Danny please stay at UConn & complete the three peat- you are in our hearts & will always be as UConn fans- guarantee you will not find the same passionate people or fans in LA. You are a northeast guy like most of us- there is nothing like us as you’ve mentioned before. UConn Huskies forever.

Reaction Score
All this talk about LeBron.. do people not realize this position is mainly POST LeBron? It’s a lucrative, LONG term deal. LeBron has like 2 years tops. The Lakers will always be a star destination and guess what, after Lebron and AD leave, another star will come knocking on the door because that’s what the Lakers do.

Reaction Score
If LeBron wanted Hurley to develop him, he should have had him transfer to UConn for crissakes.

I agree that apart from it being the LA LAKERS, in terms of winning a title, this isn't a great job at all. But it's the Lakers, with all the money in the world.

I just see it as a bad fit all around. Gonna pay a guy with zero connections/experience with the NBA $100M when the last coach to win a title at both levels was Larry Brown? But that doesn't mean I don't think it's going to happen. At a certain point you can't turn down that kind of money.
I think the good old days of following LeBron’s Advice and good things happen are long over. If he has stayed at Cleveland, he would have not as much $ now but his legacy would have live on forever with those fans.

Now he is just an extremely wealthy player at the end of his career, playing for so many teams, that interest in him is waning.

Dan might think about this is similar fashion - what is more important to him.

Reaction Score
He has a .579 winning percentage in LAC despite Kawhi and PG missing a ton of games. Players love him.

Do you think he got an extension because LeBron made him as a head coach?
Do you think he gets the job if he never wins the title with LeBron?

Reaction Score
This is the Lakers. You get one shot at this. There is no, "well, I'll pass on this one and the NEXT time the LA Lakers call, I'll consider it."

I love Danny but he'd be a fool to not consider this move.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The feeling I assume I am feeling in my stomach right now is finding out through the grapevine that my partner has cheated on me and is possibly leaving. Why do sports make us feel this way and what does that say about the emotional investments in my life lol

Don't be ridiculous.

This is worse than that!

Reaction Score
Storrs, Connecticut - I’m the captain now. #BringBobbyHome
College Basketball Sport GIF by NCAA March Madness

That is probably a call that should be made if there is a vacancy.

Reaction Score
All of the reasons why Hurley would stay, wouldn't be a good NBA fit, wife wouldn't be happy, etc., etc., will be trumped by stupid money.

Reaction Score
Those saying that Hurley's legacy is tarnished if he leaves are out of their minds.

Winning back-to-back titles in college basketball these days is historic and UConn will always have that to crow about and market off of.

The only thing that would tarnish him some in my eyes is if he eventually comes back to college at a different school and stays and wins there for 10+ years. That is worst case.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Sometimes when you are in the position Hurley is in is not life and death. But…..from the movie Gladiator…..

“ What we do in life echo’s in eternity”. If he goes not sure that is his legacy if he stays it will more than likely be how history views him.

So echo in eternity with your accomplishments or go to the Lakers and maybe echo in eternity but probably be looking for a job in three or four years maybe less if it does not work.

Reaction Score
The feeling I assume I am feeling in my stomach right now is finding out through the grapevine that my partner has cheated on me and is possibly leaving. Why do sports make us feel this way and what does that say about the emotional investments in my life lol
Except she's cheating with Brad Pitt and you are still wondering "well, maybe she still comes back?"

Reaction Score
Another thing:
How many clips have we seen with Dan Hurley talking about parents over-involvement, destructive influence on teams and programs?!
He talks about this CONSTANTLY.

Now Dan Hurley is going to go turn on a dime and go to the NBA team that is probably nepotism drafting a below average player to force into a pro career under his father's massive wing?! Dan Hurley wants to coach a team and have a principal responsibility of developing a player with the dude's father whom he will NEVER surpass in power and influence at every practice and game looking over his shoulder?! Honestly WTF.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Sorry, I am not one of these wish him luck people. If 5 years down the road after he decided to go that's another story, but not immediately after getting the program back to the top of the hill. The back to back championships are amazing and everything, but this is still fragile, we can fall right back to what we were 5 years ago in a heartbeat if he leaves, especially if recruits and players bail and coaches go with him. If he does leave now, it was never his dream job and about getting UConn back to prominence, it was about using UConn to get him there. And that's fine, but he wouldn't be the person I thought he was and we shouldn't be expected to be grateful for the brief thrill. Put me in the camp of don't let the door hit you on the way out, I can go right back to hating the name Hurley if need be. I would just as soon see him crash and burn if he leaves now.

What The Hell Wtf GIF by Criss P

Reaction Score
All this talk about LeBron.. do people not realize this position is mainly POST LeBron? It’s a lucrative, LONG term deal. LeBron has like 2 years tops. The Lakers will always be a star destination and guess what, after Lebron and AD leave, another star will come knocking on the door because that’s what the Lakers do.
Im not sure if any coach has lasted mlre tha 2 years as the Lakers coach since Phil Jackson

awy

Reaction Score
I don't think Hurley would leave without doing proper estate management. he's talked about laying the foundation for organizational continuity.

ideally he'd just hand the reins to luke but i think the lebrons want luke too. it'll probably end up as a kevin young situation if luke does stay in some capacity, and kimani can be the head coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom