Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
Breaking - ESPN will host a 3-hour Special called The Decision - Part 2, where Danny Hurley will reveal his decision if to leave UConn for Lakers. June 15, 6-9pm EST! Get your popcorn ready.

:)

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Making Dan Hurley the highest paid NBA coach is a total joke.
The highest paid current college mens basketball coach I can definitely agree, and he would deserve it.
DH couldn't hold a candle to Pops, Eric S in Miami, even Tibs. DH has no experience in dealing with NBA players or systems. This is almost laughable.
DH will not like being LeBron's babysitter.
However, I could see DH having some success with the current Celtics team except JB might not like to be regimented to some degree.

Reaction Score
Imagine being AK, deciding to exit his name from the draft only to see Hurley potentially jump to the Lakers a week later. lol man

Reaction Score
IMG_8955.jpeg

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
So let me get this straight: the mountaintop of basketball coaching is an organization who’s last 3 breadwinners were Darvin Ham, Frank Vogel, and lol Luc Walton, who’s seriously considering a complete novice JJ Redick to take the helm, who's betting their precious draft stock on a college player who averaged 4 ppg, and plays in an arena named after a Ponzi scheme?

Nah

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Lakers don’t seem to keep coaches more than 2-3 years recently. This offer will be there again in a few years as long as Danny keeps up his winning ways.

Reaction Score
“A really good job”. Back to Back championships constitutes “a really good job” now?

Uh…..yeah. Use whatever hyperbole you want. An “amazing” job. A “phenomenal” job. Knock yourself out. Not downplaying his accomplishments. I’m ecstatic with how he has performed his job.

But a lot of his luster has come from his total embracement of UConn, the Big East, the history, etc. Basketball capitol of the world! His old school schtick really resonates to our state that has been so battered in the modern college athletics landscape. If he leaves now (especially this late in the off-season) then he loses that luster. It’s gone.

He resurrected us when we were at our lowest and he will always be celebrated for that. But there will be some degree of inevitable resentment for using us as a five year stepping stone. He won’t be shunned like Ollie but he will be closer to Ollie than Calhoun. And that’s fine! That’s the choice he faces. What’s more important to him.

But cmon…..he leaves, our recruits inevitably bail, and we are suddenly thrust into the middle of the pack when we were riding high on threepeat aspirations. It’s horribly naive for anyone to think that him
delivering that gut punch to us right now will just be overlooked as bygones.

Maybe they keep some recruits and Luke or Kimani stay on and we don’t dip back down significantly. And that dulls the pain a bit. Danny is a special coach, maybe they are as good but that’s a lot to expect. It doesn’t happen very often.

Reaction Score
The feeling I assume I am feeling in my stomach right now is finding out through the grapevine that my partner has cheated on me and is possibly leaving. Why do sports make us feel this way and what does that say about the emotional investments in my life lol

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
I literally vomited in my mouth. I would throw away all my UConn stuff and pull my kids out if school if this happened.
It's a terrible take. Option 1a) Kimani 1b) Luke....everyone else: horrible. Cooley is like the antithesis of what Hurley has established. Just a gross thought.

When we court a recruit and it isn't happening, Zionn's "next" means it's been reapered. I am interpreting this as a deal that won't be happening.

Hurley of course should use this hype for contract negotiation, but also all these endorsements from NBA players and brass certainly won't be hurting recruiting.

However this shakes out, Dan Hurley owes us nothing. He's outperformed his contract in a very untenuous climate for UConn. He's rebuilt a program we can be proud of and has groomed a stable of potential replacements in house. Legend.

Reaction Score
IDK, if I were the Lakers considering getting this done, why on Earth would I leak it to an ESPN reporter ???
Because they are confident it will get done. If not, they are idiots.

Reaction Score
This will mirror the process that Karaban just went through. Hurley will hear them out, go through the process, but ultimately return to UConn. Trust.

Lol....the Lakers are reaaaaally desperate

Reaction Score
The feeling I assume I am feeling in my stomach right now is finding out through the grapevine that my partner has cheated on me and is possibly leaving. Why do sports make us feel this way and what does that say about the emotional investments in my life lol

I agree, those who think there won't be any bitterness are delusional. It's like saying a divorce is never bitter.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You women savants who claim to know what Andrea likes or wants crack me up. I don’t always know what my wife wants and I live with her 24 hours a day.
Ah, well then she probably wants a break in a little time to herself.

You're welcome.

Reaction Score
I don't get it. The Lakers are the Lakers, but
1. Pelinka hasn't exactly been a great GM with turnover of both players & coaches over recent years. Almost every decision is redone after 2-3 years.
2. Their 2 best players are on the decline, LeBron 2 productive years left tops and AD maybe 5 but constant injury concern
a. LeBron is the GM and coach of the team, do you want that passive aggressive interference, I guess maybe since a lot to learn from one of the greatest of all time
b. AD has always wanted a hand in dictating his position and usage. Hurley would have less leverage coming in as college coach, so AD would tell Hurley how to use him.
3. What's the championship plan and odds? They aren't jumping over Denver, MN, OKC or Dallas.
4. F the Lakers, so typical to put this story out on the eve on the NBA finals - HEY EVERYBODY LOOK AT US, we aren't irrelevant, we are the Lakers, the Buss family LeBron, AD, pay attention to us please!!

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
Let’s be honest… it’s up to Andrea.
So let me get this straight....if Danny does not want this job, but Andrea wants him to take it....she's going to force him to coach grown adults against his will?

Sounds healthy!

This thread is going to be an all-timer before it's all said and done.

Reaction Score
Another angle of thinking....

Since 2013, there have been 11 NBA Finals so 22 teams making it that far:

• Golden State 6
  • Cleveland 4, Miami 4
  • San Antonio 2
  • Boston, Denver, Lakers, Milwaukee, Toronto, Phoenix 1
Point being, it's not easy to be in that upper upper crust to go that far into an NBA postseason. The big chunks of that group is the Golden State dynasty and the Lebron teams. Taking over the Lakers with that old roster in the tough West? You could very, very easily not sniff the finals during a 7 year deal that starts now.

Reaction Score
IMO Dan is 51 and has said he doesn't want to coach a long time. If he wants a huge $$$ NBA job while he has energy, this would be the right time to jump.

Also, we haven't heard rumors since the F4 on AD David Benedict and ASU or other jobs. Wonder who is on his short list should DH jump to Manhattan Beach

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I literally vomited in my mouth. I would throw away all my UConn stuff and pull my kids out if school if this happened.

Before I clicked on the link to the tweet I was expecting to read Nate Oats.

Reaction Score
Imagine being AK, deciding to exit his name from the draft only to see Hurley potentially jump to the Lakers a week later. lol man

Except think about this

Hurley asked Alex to give him an early decision. Alex said he was sorry but had to do the right thing for him (and wait until the deadline )

Same thing applies here

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom