Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

awy

Reaction Score
as much as the buss family is a clown show dolan is far worse.

Reaction Score
Can $$ buy you happiness??? C'mon Danny - do the right thing. You cant leave the UConn program high and dry.

Reaction Score
I hope Danny watches the excellent HBO series "Showtime" about the Lakers' culture. Does he really want to give up everything he built to work for that dysfunctional organization?!?

Reaction Score
Heard the news this morning - my feeling is this.

In the NBA he can make tons of money and win NBA titles but get overshadowed by star players. In the NCAA he can become an all-time coaching legend by the time he is done.

It’s his choice. He’s gotta do what’s best for him and his family, and for what he wants his coaching career to be.

I sincerely very much hope he stays like all of us, but if he doesn’t, he’s already given us 2 championship seasons the likes of were among the most dominant tourney runs in NCAA history, so we can always be grateful for that.

Let’s see how this plays out.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
as much as the buss family is a clown show dolan is far worse.

I do not begrudge Hurley leaving UConn for the NBA, but I do not consider the Knicks a true NBA franchise. The Knicks are run by ignorant morons and may be the worst run franchise in any of the three major professional sports, and the fan base is several standard deviations out on the stupidity bell curve from a 1990's English Football League team.

Leaving for the Knicks would be ridiculous, and I would be insulted as a UConn fan if Hurley did that.

Reaction Score
Donovan could get any college job any time he wants. He's choosing to stay in the NBA. I don't see him convincing Hurley to stay in college.
He will be honest about the pros and cons about the NBA and how coaching in college translates to the nba though

Reaction Score
That's the thing though, it's not a once in a lifetime opportunity. You think any NBA owner or GM would hang up the phone if Hurley's agent called in 2, 5, 10 years saying he might be interested in an opening?

Hurley can go to the NBA whenever he wants. Does he care about the prestige of the Lakers? Who knows. Does he care about the money? Probably not over a few million a year, but for 100 million, multi-generational wealth? That's harder to argue against.
I see your point. It may be the amount of $$ he is offered right now after reaching what is the pinnacle of College Basketball - back to back NCAA Championships - and a path to the third - that may not repeat again.

Dan is at the top of his game.. If we put together back to back Sweet 16 or 32 exits, Dan goes back into a long list of coaches waiting for their chance to coach in the NBA.

Also if Dan wants to retire at 60 like he says he does, then the clock is also ticking more than some people think.

I think he stays.

Reaction Score
Maybe I’m being a little emotional in the moment. But I won’t be one of the “he did great for us and he will always be adored for that” people.

He can stay and potentially be Jim Calhoun. The legend who will always be revered. He can own the state.

At this point he could stay and be John Wooden. He basically has a down payment on owning college basketball. He would be the first Dan Hurley.

And his success at the Lakers is not guaranteed. The NBA is a zoo run by the animals. Dan has said many times he thinks he will have trouble with pro players. It could end very badly.

Bu if the contract guarantees are high enough. Basketball doesn't matter all that much. It just depends what he wants.

Reaction Score
We're making history here this morning, BY'ers. Fastest thread to 1000 posts ever!!

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I literally vomited in my mouth. I would throw away all my UConn stuff and pull my kids out if school if this happened.
Well there is the first I am leaving and taking my ball post. And it has not even happened.

For all of you polyana pc correct posters keep on thinking there won’t be any shade thrown Danny’s way if he leaves.

Even as tragic as this is the media is touting Cooley as the best replacement.

Holy I cannot imagine what happens on this board if that starts as the primary rumor.

But for this board this will be good business for the rest of the summer.

Just look at how many posts on this subject already by mid morning.

Woj more than likely verified with Hurley what he was hearing and then asked him if it was ok to run with it. It’s news no matter if it happens or if it does not. But now it will be a circus until a final decision is made.

Reaction Score
Guys guys guys. This all just part of Hurley’s master plan to recruit top level NBA type players. “Yeah I won x many championships and the Lakers offered me X amount of money. I chose UConn because it was the best fit for me, you should too.” 4D chess. Genius. At least that’s what I’ve been telling myself all morning.

Reaction Score
That P5 stuff is utter BS. He just had the chance to go to the SEC and basically name his price.
1000253748.jpg

Reaction Score
there's a large amount of buy-in from the lakers ownership. it's not just for the next 2 lebron years, but the long term rebuild. i don't think other nba franchises can top that. the knicks are too parochial and dolan controlled to hand over control, this is pretty much the perfect job for him.

Dolan has pretty much handed control over for awhile now. It could certainly change at any time because Dolan is still Dolan but they’ve been well run under the current leadership.

Knicks roster would be a great fit for Hurley but don’t think they’d move on from Thibs

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
This Jorge guy is a clown. Lebron WANTS to play off ball more at this stage of his career. Why do you think the lakers have targeted so much ball handling the last few years with Westbrick, Dlo, and Reaves.
They benched Westbrook before trading him, and Dlo/Reaves are offball shooters. Nothing has shown Lebron will ever not want the ball in his hands lol

Reaction Score
Legacy v Money move. Legacy is made more at the collegiate level. The names that get tossed around as all time greats...Wooden, Krzyzewski, etc...lean more college...even a Donovan is more remembered for the Florida back to back than NBA. But, insane money/power/control along with a lifestyle that's hard to replicate anywhere else at an age where you could enjoy it...it would be a tough no. Still hoping for the no.

Reaction Score
Breaking - ESPN will host a 3-hour Special called The Decision - Part 2, where Danny Hurley will reveal his decision if to leave UConn for Lakers. June 15, 6-9pm EST! Get your popcorn ready.

:)

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Making Dan Hurley the highest paid NBA coach is a total joke.
The highest paid current college mens basketball coach I can definitely agree, and he would deserve it.
DH couldn't hold a candle to Pops, Eric S in Miami, even Tibs. DH has no experience in dealing with NBA players or systems. This is almost laughable.
DH will not like being LeBron's babysitter.
However, I could see DH having some success with the current Celtics team except JB might not like to be regimented to some degree.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom