Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 28 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
Maybe it's just a ploy by LA to get Redick cheaper.

That's what I was thinking, too. The timing of this story happens to be on the first day of the NBA Finals-that is not a coincidence. Maybe JJ thought the job was his and demanding too much from the Lakers. This is what I am hoping and rationalizing in my brain.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Hurley apparently said yesterday that the contract stuff was "complicated"

If he leaves and we don't get $20m from the Lakers because Benedict and the state couldn't figure it out, then my opinion of Benedict has gone fully into the toilet.

Maybe this is copium but it seems pretty plausible that Danny & his agent were waiting for the NBA season to end in order to see what leverage could be obtained. This is literally the best leverage possible. Without this kind of reporting from Woj, you don't get top dollar out of UConn.

Point being, just because Benedict didn't make an official offer doesn't mean he wasn't trying to extend Danny. If he wasn't, then ... yikes.

Reaction Score
Hurley apparently said yesterday that the contract stuff was "complicated"

If he leaves and we don't get $20m from the Lakers because Benedict and the state couldn't figure it out, then my opinion of Benedict has gone fully into the toilet.
If he wanted to go to the Lakers he would go whether had the new contract or not.

Reaction Score
He has to listen because I think this is his shot. If he doesn’t take it I think we have him for good. There will be no better opportunity for him down the line.

As the wins pile up and hopefully championships at UConn how could he walk away in the future? I have no idea what he will choose but I think if he turns this down it will cement in his head that he was meant to do what he’s doing just like his Dad understood where he belonged.

That’s for Danny to decide obviously but I think he was meant for the college game. I think he will come to realize that by going through this process and make the right decision for himself and his family whatever that may be but if he stays I think we keep him for life.

Reaction Score
Maybe this is copium but it seems pretty plausible that Danny & his agent were waiting for the NBA season to end in order to see what leverage could be obtained. This is literally the best leverage possible. Without this kind of reporting, you don't get top dollar about of UConn.

Point being, just because Benedict didn't make an official offer doesn't mean he wasn't trying to extend Danny.
Yeah, I would assume the delay is on Hurley's side. He has all the leverage as the most sought after coach in the entire sport.

Reaction Score
He has to listen because I think this is his shot. If he doesn’t take it I think we have him for good. There will be no better opportunity for him down the line.

As the wins pile up and hopefully championships at UConn how could he walk away in the future? I have no idea what he will choose but I think if he turns this down it will cement in his head that he was meant to do what he’s doing just like his Dad understood where he belonged.

That’s for Danny to decide obviously but I think he was meant for the college game. I think he will come to realize that by going through this process and make the right decision for himself and his family whatever that may be but if he stays I think we keep him for life.
Let’s be real, he’ll have another shot at the lakers job in a year or 2

Reaction Score
Interesting how 'basketball' people perceive the Lakers. I view them as a 'has been' like UCLA and Indiana in ncaa. Not irrelevant but far far removed from the top of the heap. I've read post downplaying the Knicks but I don't think the Lakers is much different. I would think you would need to have a clear vision of a winning roster virtually immediately in order to take the job, because NBA honeymoons aren't long.
They won a title in 2020, was in the WCF in 2023 and won the first in season tournament lol.

Reaction Score
Just feel terrible about him possibly leaving and taking key members of the staff with him, for reference Donovan took anthony grant and Daigneault with him to OKC when he left Florida. Would mean the historic coaching and x'o's on offense would come to an abrupt stop in the blink of an eye.

Reaction Score
Just feel terrible about him possibly leaving and taking key members of the staff with him, for reference Donovan took anthony grant and Daigneault with him to OKC when he left Florida. Would mean the historic coaching and x'o's on offense would come to an abrupt stop in the blink of an eye.
It’d be a dark day. I’m praying it doesn’t happen

Reaction Score
You seem to think I was talking about what was said in practice. I was talking about the decision to leak to Woj (assuming it came the from Hurley camp). I already said that he needed to tell the players.
The leak/story coming from Woj as an NBA guy almost means it is via the Lakers and it included a LOT more details on what the Lakers are doing, possible Lakers-based reasoning and that they are working up an offer. And as I've said the timing WREAKS of Lakers 'pay attention to US' behavior coming on the eve of game 1 of the NBA finals. Now this gets mentioned on the telecast and the Lakers & LeBron stay relevant.

Silver lining there is that press strategy could mean this is more of a headline play than an actual imminent deal. The JJ Reddick rumor was played out and had turned to mostly negative response. And unlike typical Woj bombs which are done deals this is news of an offer.

Reaction Score
Wildest take I've seen in a while. He took a Clippers team to the playoffs that got 31 games out of Paul George and zero out of Kawhi.

Coaches with a .600 winning percentage don't grow on trees. He would have long flamed out if he were a terrible coach "made" by LeBron.
Once again if he didn't win that championship in Cleveland he never would have been the head coach of the clippers. It doesn't matter what stats you bring up.

Reaction Score
The people thinking Hurley stays are on stage 1 of the grieving process. He is 100% going to the Lakers. Sucks that it would destroy this season. Feel bad for the kids who made life decisions based on the story Hurley sold them.

Reaction Score
If he wanted to go to the Lakers he would go whether had the new contract or not.
Yeah but if the contract was signed we'd have our next coaches salary paid for years courtesy of the Lakers. Every team that has a coach poached seems to manage this except for us.

Reaction Score
I don’t like what I am seeing. ESPN has ran two cover stories about this, it just doesn’t make sense to do that then have it not happen.

Reaction Score
Not necessarily. If he immediately says ‘no,‘ there’s no offer drawn up.

He can take that offer back to UCONN for a more lucrative deal.
Right it’d be much more doom and gloom if he signed an extension a month ago and was now considering the Lakers

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
On the “I trust my surgeon with my life to perform successful open heart surgery” 1-10 scale how much do we trust Sam Amico’s reporting these days ?
About as much as I trust your surgeon to save your life.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom