Knicks let Lin go to the Rockets | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Knicks let Lin go to the Rockets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Agree. Even if the Knicks weren't title ready, at least Lin gave the fans reason to watch the team again. He brought a new and young fan base to the Knicks with excitement. Sometimes teams need to look at the seats as well as the court. I would bet that fans were excited about another year with Lin. He certainly isn't a superstar or an All Star but he showed he belonged in NYC and on the court. In addition, Kidd would have made him better. He was worth the money in publicity and ticket sales (including merchandise) alone. Now who on the Knicks is worth rooting for??
I'm guessing that you haven't been in the market for Knicks tickets in a very long time. They don't have any problem putting fannies in the seats, with or without Lin. And from what I understand, merchandise revenue is divided among the teams.

It is sad that the fairytale, feel-good story is over in New York, but the fuss people are making out of the potential effect on the franchise is some of the craziest, most nonsensical stuff I've ever seen.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
How did it go from we'll match anything to 8.5 million a year is too crippling for the Knicks who have Amare for 20 million a year uninsured. Lin didn't structure the contract, nor did the Rockets, the Knicks can only match this way due to the CBA and being over the cap. The only thing the Rockets can do is increase the offer to hurt the Knicks with tax in the 3rd year. For the record the Knicks will be paying the same type of tax on Kidd, Felton.
I don't think there's a single grain of truth or accuracy to anything in your post.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing that you haven't been in the market for Knicks tickets in a very long time. They don't have any problem putting fannies in the seats, with or without Lin. And from what I understand, merchandise revenue is divided among the teams.

It is sad that the fairytale, feel-good story is over in New York, but the fuss people are making out of the potential effect on the franchise is some of the craziest, most nonsensical stuff I've ever seen.
Who here is claiming this will affect the franchise ? NOBODY. Every game will still be a sellout, including the first round playoff loss for a middling .500 team. Yippee for them. As for spending money, the Knicks were already going to be over the luxury tax threshold, with or without Jeremy Lin. And they had zero roster or salary cap flexibility so long as Stat and Melo were on the team, a condition that would end - coincidentally - at the same time Jeremy Lin's Houston offer sheet contract would have expired.

The Knicks "franchise" will be fine. It is exceptionally unlikely that signing Lin would have changed the arc of the franchise. But that isn't the point.

BTW, good to know for sure that you are a class A .

Reaction Score
I don't think there's a single grain of truth or accuracy to anything in your post.

The Rockets, by virtue of the CBA, offered the max they could in years 1 and 2. Only year 3 was at their discretion.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Besides, the entire point here is that the only time in the last decade or more that the Knicks were both relevant AND fun, was with Jeremy Lin at PG. Thank you very much, James Dolan, for taking a gigantic on Knicks fans. Even better that you would do it out of spite because you are as mature as a preschooler.

Exactly this. I am still livid and this has killed any of my enthusiasm for the Knicks this upcoming season.

Everyone here saying Lin is average is full of it too. Did anyone actually watch the games? Lin was a hell of a player that had the ability to make all his teammates rise with him.

But of course, he must suck because he had a bad game against the eventual champions with Wade, James and company foaming at the mouth to shut him down. Do people now think James Harden sucks? He had 4 bad games vs. Miami in the Finals and he's been in the league for a few seasons.

That's another thing, how can you possibly judge Lin will be average based on this 25 game run? How many players in the NBA get significantly worse with more court time and experience? Look at the numbers, look at the wins, look at the fandom. I never saw anything like it.

The fact that our piece of owner got caught up in some petty drama is just truly indicative of his embarrassingly poor decision making and how he took a proud franchise and has ran it into the ground.

The Knicks finally got the one lucky break they have needed for years and instead of keeping Lin, they let him walk for nothing. Just so fcking typical.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

What's nonsensical is a billionaire owner not resigning the best thing to happen to the franchise in over a decade for all of $5M.

I don't want to hear the luxury tax spin either. That's not specific to Lin, if they didn't want to pay the tax you don't sign Novak, Camby, Kidd and Felton.

You sign the guy that has a chance to be a star and gave the Knicks their best stretch of fun, entertaining and winning basketball since 1999.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Who here is claiming this will affect the franchise ? NOBODY. Every game will still be a sellout, including the first round playoff loss for a middling .500 team. Yippee for them. As for spending money, the Knicks were already going to be over the luxury tax threshold, with or without Jeremy Lin. And they had zero roster or salary cap flexibility so long as Stat and Melo were on the team, a condition that would end - coincidentally - at the same time Jeremy Lin's Houston offer sheet contract would have expired.

The Knicks "franchise" will be fine. It is exceptionally unlikely that signing Lin would have changed the arc of the franchise. But that isn't the point.

BTW, good to know for sure that you are a class A .

I can't help you with your reading comprehension, but I will wear your labeling me a class A as a badge of honor in any event.

The Rockets, by virtue of the CBA, offered the max they could in years 1 and 2. Only year 3 was at their discretion.
I get that. How does that translate into neither them nor Lin structuring the contract? That's exactly what they did. More power to them, as it seems that they got exactly what they wanted. And the Knicks' ability to match had nothing to do with them being over the cap; it was solely because they were his existing team, which also significantly limited their ability to offer him anything close without having an offer sheet to match. Houston also had other options, including a fourth year (or more). But in the end they chose the one most effective in terms of getting them what they wanted. Again, kudos to them because it worked.

Every sentence in the OP post was wrong: It was not $8.5M per year to the Knicks; Lin and the Rockets did structure the contract (twice, in fact); being over the cap is not what afforded the Knicks the opportunity to match; the Rockets had other options (although likely less effective for their purposes); and the tax on Kidd and Felton combined is a small fraction of what it would have been on Lin.

Reaction Score
Somebody please explain to me why re-signing Lin would be financially crippling to the Knicks? He's at a more than reasonable 5 million per year these next two seasons, and even though the 15 million in year three would come with a huge penalty, Lin will more than make that up. I don't think the Knicks are hurting for money. This seems like a pride thing with Dolan to me.

Reaction Score
I can't help you with your reading comprehension, but I will wear your labeling me a class A as a badge of honor in any event.

I get that. How does that translate into neither them nor Lin structuring the contract? That's exactly what they did. More power to them, as it seems that they got exactly what they wanted. And the Knicks' ability to match had nothing to do with them being over the cap; it was solely because they were his existing team, which also significantly limited their ability to offer him anything close without having an offer sheet to match. Houston also had other options, including a fourth year (or more). But in the end they chose the one most effective in terms of getting them what they wanted. Again, kudos to them because it worked.

Every sentence in the OP post was wrong: It was not $8.5M per year to the Knicks; Lin and the Rockets did structure the contract (twice, in fact); being over the cap is not what afforded the Knicks the opportunity to match; the Rockets had other options (although likely less effective for their purposes); and the tax on Kidd and Felton combined is a small fraction of what it would have been on Lin.

No. If you're going to be so sure I'm wrong on everything single thing then have a clue about what you're talking about.

The Knicks can match any amount if they are under the cap with enough space to match. The Knicks have Lin's early bird rights. Bird rights are an exception used for teams to offer their own free agents salaries while being over the cap. The Knicks don't have Lin's full bird rights and therefore cannot offer him any amount. Only up to the MLE in the first 2 years until he gains full bird rights. It has everything to do with being over the cap. Since the Knicks are over the cap, under the old CBA they would have lost Lin to any contract over the MLE like the Cavs lost Boozer and how the Warriors lost Arenas. Under the new CBA the Knicks are able to match with an inflated salary in the 3rd year scraping the standard raises of 4.5% and 7.5%.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Exactly this. I am still livid and this has killed any of my enthusiasm for the Knicks this upcoming season.

Everyone here saying Lin is average is full of it too. Did anyone actually watch the games? Lin was a hell of a player that had the ability to make all his teammates rise with him.

But of course, he must suck because he had a bad game against the eventual champions with Wade, James and company foaming at the mouth to shut him down. Do people now think James Harden sucks? He had 4 bad games vs. Miami in the Finals and he's been in the league for a few seasons.

That's another thing, how can you possibly judge Lin will be average based on this 25 game run? How many players in the NBA get significantly worse with more court time and experience? Look at the numbers, look at the wins, look at the fandom. I never saw anything like it.

The fact that our piece of owner got caught up in some petty drama is just truly indicative of his embarrassingly poor decision making and how he took a proud franchise and has ran it into the ground.

The Knicks finally got the one lucky break they have needed for years and instead of keeping Lin, they let him walk for nothing. Just so fcking typical.

What's nonsensical is a billionaire owner not resigning the best thing to happen to the franchise in over a decade for all of $5M.

I don't want to hear the luxury tax spin either. That's not specific to Lin, if they didn't want to pay the tax you don't sign Novak, Camby, Kidd and Felton.

You sign the guy that has a chance to be a star and gave the Knicks their best stretch of fun, entertaining and winning basketball since 1999.

Lin doesn't suck. I don't see anyone saying that he does. He is also not a star. I think it is fair to say that his chances of being a star PG in the NBA are about the same of his chances of sucking and being relegated to a backup again. The best bet is that he is a serviceable starter on a non-playoff team. In other words, average. Houston was the only team desperate enough to pay him for the chance that he might be more than that. And that's the same team that cut him last year because they thought Lowry and Dragic were both better (which, from what I have read and heard, most NBA GMs still believe).

There was no greater fan of the story than I was while it lasted. I'm a romantic and I love that type of stuff. But I also realize when it is too good to be true, and that's where I end up on Lin. I think he will be good. I don't think he'll be great. If the Knicks kept him there would have been pressure to play him for non-basketball reasons even if he didn't work in this system and/or deserve it. I think that was a recipe for disaster. Or, continuing disaster in the case of the Knicks.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
No. If you're going to be so sure I'm wrong on everything single thing then have a clue about what you're talking about.

The Knicks can match any amount if they are under the cap with enough space to match. The Knicks have Lin's early bird rights. Bird rights are an exception used for teams to offer their own free agents salaries while being over the cap. The Knicks don't have Lin's full bird rights and therefore cannot offer him any amount. Only up to the MLE in the first 2 years until he gains full bird rights. It has everything to do with being over the cap. Since the Knicks are over the cap, under the old CBA they would have lost Lin to any contract over the MLE like the Cavs lost Boozer and how the Warriors lost Arenas. Under the new CBA the Knicks are able to match with an inflated salary in the 3rd year scraping the standard raises of 4.5% and 7.5%.
In other words, the Knicks had the right to match another team's offer to Lin whether they were over the cap or not. That was my point.

Reaction Score
In other words, the Knicks had the right to match another team's offer to Lin whether they were over the cap or not. That was my point.

The Knicks can only match an offer of the MLE in the first two years because the Knicks were 1. over the cap and 2. did not have Lin's full bird rights. Your point was that Lin/Rockets structured the contract in a way to make it difficult for the Knicks to match. It doesn't matter what the Rockets offered. The Knicks can only match 5/5.5/x.

If the Rockets had 10 million under the cap, they can offer Lin up to 30 million for 3 years. If the Knicks want to match it would be 5/5.5/19.5. They don't have to structure the deal in that way, it's the only way the deal can be structured under the rules of the CBA. However it would only cost the Rockets an average of 10 million per year on their salary cap. Lin's deal will cost the Rockets 8.3 million per year on their cap.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Lin doesn't suck. I don't see anyone saying that he does. He is also not a star. I think it is fair to say that his chances of being a star PG in the NBA are about the same of his chances of sucking and being relegated to a backup again. The best bet is that he is a serviceable starter on a non-playoff team. In other words, average. Houston was the only team desperate enough to pay him for the chance that he might be more than that. And that's the same team that cut him last year because they thought Lowry and Dragic were both better (which, from what I have read and heard, most NBA GMs still believe).

There was no greater fan of the story than I was while it lasted. I'm a romantic and I love that type of stuff. But I also realize when it is too good to be true, and that's where I end up on Lin. I think he will be good. I don't think he'll be great. If the Knicks kept him there would have been pressure to play him for non-basketball reasons even if he didn't work in this system and/or deserve it. I think that was a recipe for disaster. Or, continuing disaster in the case of the Knicks.

How can you say he isn't a star? He didn't just have a good couple of games, he put up record breaking numbers to start his career as a starting point guard. Young players get better with age, especially point guards, why are people resigned to think he'll just be average?

Lin had court vision and the special trait to involve everyone and make the game easier for his teammates. The exact opposite of Carmelo and Amare.

He would have been paid $5M, $5M, and then $15M. Even at worst, if he's an average PG, $5M/year is a very fair salary. If he tanks? Then they could have waived him and spread the luxury tax hit over a couple of years.

I'm pissed because this wasn't a basketball decision, this wasn't a salary cap decision, it wasn't even a luxury tax decision

Dolan/Melo blackballed Lin out of town due to their own pettiness and insecurity.

I don't know if Lin will be a Top flight PG, but what after all these years of mediocrity, overspending and general mismanagement of the franchise, how do you not even take the chance!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm not a Dolan fan. I am a Knick fan. I was also a Lin fan, and I'm not rooting against him now that he's gone. But like it or not Dolan writes the checks and calls the shots. I'm sure I'm not as smart as Lin, but even I realize that you don't piss off the guy writing the checks. If that's what Lin did, and if he wanted to stay in New York, he ducked up. Period.

Reaction Score
Or maybe you can look at past evidence and realize the guy writing the checks is a unpredictable guy and Lin could have gone out and did exactly what he thought the Knicks wanted him to do (go out and find the best deal for yourself and be matched) and still have 'ducked up'. Blame the NY media for prematurely reporting on the details of a deal that wasn't done. Blame NY for public announcing their intentions before they were presented an offer and giving the Rockets a chance to up their offer after they lost Lowry & Dragic.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Blame NY for public announcing their intentions before they were presented an offer and giving the Rockets a chance to up their offer after they lost Lowry & Dragic.
I agree fully with this. If the Knicks wanted to keep Lin--and I'm not convinced of that--they ducked up, too.

As for Lin doing what "he thought the Knicks wanted him to do," I find it hard to believe that a guy as bright as he is didn't realize the likely consequences of re-doing the contract the Knicks said they would match to make it between 200% and 400% more expensive for them.

Reaction Score
I agree fully with this. If the Knicks wanted to keep Lin--and I'm not convinced of that--they ducked up, too.

As for Lin doing what "he thought the Knicks wanted him to do," I find it hard to believe that a guy as bright as he is didn't realize the likely consequences of re-doing the contract the Knicks said they would match to make it between 200% and 400% more expensive for them.

You keep ignoring this but I'll try one more time. Lin and the Rockets reached a verbal agreement, but didn't have a term sheet. the Knicks said they would match. the Rockets then gave Lin a different proposal, which was the only proposal from anyone that Lin had.

The position that LIn did anything to the Knicks has no basis in the facts no matter how many times you walk out on a limb and repeat yourself.

Reaction Score
I didn't have a dog in the fight, but the reaction to the Heat game was the ultimate example of confirmation bias. People were waiting for the first bad night to say, "ya see - I knew it." It took 10 games to happen, but once it did, the axe went into his back.

I watched the game and Miami double-teamed him - hard - off every screen, didn't let him breathe, and since there was nobody on that version of the Knicks to take any pressure off him, he had a stinker. But he faced the type of defense that the Pistons would throw at Jordan in his prime. Bad games happen to everyone in every sport when new wrinkles get thrown at you - you watch the film, see what went wrong and learn from it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You keep ignoring this but I'll try one more time. Lin and the Rockets reached a verbal agreement, but didn't have a term sheet. the Knicks said they would match. the Rockets then gave Lin a different proposal, which was the only proposal from anyone that Lin had.

The position that LIn did anything to the Knicks has no basis in the facts no matter how many times you walk out on a limb and repeat yourself.
It has been widely reported--and not denied by Lin or anyone else--that after the Knicks said they would match the first offer Lin and his agent went back to Houston and pushed for a higher guarantee in the third year, which they apparently had hoped for from the start. By then, Houston had lost both Lowry and Dragic, so they were also willing to up the ante.

You seem to be ignoring that Lin had to agree to re-do the offer in order for it to be redone. Do you have a source for your insistence that Houston unilaterally took the first offer off the table? If so, that would be the first I've heard of it.

I'm not blaming Lin. I'm also not absolving him from some responsibility for playing this badly if he wanted to stay in New York.

Reaction Score
It has been widely reported--and not denied by Lin or anyone else--that after the Knicks said they would match the first offer Lin and his agent went back to Houston and pushed for a higher guarantee in the third year, which they apparently had hoped for from the start. By then, Houston had lost both Lowry and Dragic, so they were also willing to up the ante.

You keep saying that but it has been denied by Jeremy Lin.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/basketball/nba/07/18/jeremy-lin-exclusive/index.html

"A backloaded first offer, as widely reported, came to him at four years -- with the fourth as a team option -- and $28.8 million. As news of the offer broke (and Lin's camp says they did not communicate anything to the Knicks before an offer sheet was actually signed), Woodson publicly declared that Lin would "absolutely" be back. But not long after that, the Rockets came back with a revised offer: three years for $25.1 million.

By this point, Lin had no real idea what the Knicks would do. But there also wasn't much choice: He had all of one offer sheet in front of him to consider."

Reaction Score
I don't think you have any clue how the NBA salary cap works.
Which makes far more sense for most people than the relative few who care, or are crazy, enough to think they know how the NBA salary cap works. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom