Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 863 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Has the SEC or B1G even hinted at offering them landing spots? ESPN owns the media rights to the ACC and SEC. Don't they have to sign on to the idea that the SEC accepting Clemson and FSU into their conference means they have to pay those two 51M/year instead of 30M/year under the ACC? And is FOX willing to pay for those two to join the B1G now that the conference already just signed on 4 new schools at 60M a pop? I don't know the answers to those questions, I'm asking an open question. If they come in at partial shares to those conferences.. aren't they at best break even?

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
The odds of anonymous message board posters hearing legitimate information about conference realignment that concerns UConn in a positive light are the same as Halle Berry knocking on my door and begging me to sleep with her. Not that great.
You’re lucky. She can be a real pest.

Reaction Score
Has the SEC or B1G even hinted at offering them landing spots? ESPN owns the media rights to the ACC and SEC. Don't they have to sign on to the idea that the SEC accepting Clemson and FSU into their conference means they have to pay those two 51M/year instead of 30M/year under the ACC? And is FOX willing to pay for those two to join the B1G now that the conference already just signed on 4 new schools at 60M a pop? I don't know the answers to those questions, I'm asking an open question. If they come in at partial shares to those conferences.. aren't they at best break even?
You need to look closer at the math. FSU in the SEC would produce much higher ratings than they do playing most ACC opponents and be more valuable to ESPN. Here is an example from last year:

FSU/LSU: 9.17 million viewers
FSU/Florida: 5.07 million viewers

Syracuse/FSU: 2.09 million viewers
FSU/Wake Forest: 2.09 million viewers

Granted, there is a fixed revenue stream from monthly fees for ESPN, but there are also advertising rights which would be worth more than 2x in the SEC over the ACC. And, as sports move to streaming, brands will be more important and FSU is a top brand. I would think that FSU's overall media rights are probably worth almost 2x in the SEC over the ACC due to more compelling opponents.

And, for those of you who think the SEC would ever allow FSU to go to the Big 10, you are wrong. FSU+Florida would mean the SEC dominates Florida like they dominate Texas with Texas+Texas A&M.

Reaction Score
And, for those of you who think the SEC would ever allow FSU to go to the Big 10, you are wrong. FSU+Florida would mean the SEC dominates Florida like they dominate Texas with Texas+Texas A&M.

I never realized the B1G and FSU needed the SEC's permission for the B1G to add FSU. Good to know.

Reaction Score
I understand why people are fascinated with Utah to the Big10. They are AAU, have a good, Big10 like football program and, from 2010-2020, they were the fastest growing state by percentage. They just might be the most valuable program in the Big12. At least top 3 if not #1.

With all that being said, they don’t really excite me all that much. Would I go bat crap crazy if they join? Nope, but they don’t excite me at all.

Your opinion isn’t shared. That’s for certain.

Reaction Score
It makes me wonder if Connecticut boosters have finally realized that they have to invest in the program via NIL if they want to be competitive.
To be fair NIL is new. I wonder what the NIL support would have looked like during RE1.0

I bet it would have been pretty solid

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
To be fair NIL is new. I wonder what the NIL support would have looked like during RE1.0

I bet it would have been pretty solid
Hard to say. Randy wasn't the most charismatic guy. I'm not sure how inclusive he would've been.

Agreed though that RE1 was the golden era of Connecticut football. I remember people saying that it might take a decade before we would have a winning record and then everything seemed to come together perfectly. We seemed to be on an upward trend that would make us consistently a ranked program. Then we got the Pasqualone/Diaco doubleheader and all that momentum was wasted. We brought back Randy to stabilize the program and it turned out the game had passed him by.

Hopefully, Mora can pull us out of the hole and bring us back at least to respectability. I am cautiously optimistic given the influx of talent that we've seen, but I will remain skeptical until it translates to on the field success. We've been burned too many times.

Reaction Score
Hard to say. Randy wasn't the most charismatic guy. I'm not sure how inclusive he would've been.

Agreed though that RE1 was the golden era of Connecticut football. I remember people saying that it might take a decade before we would have a winning record and then everything seemed to come together perfectly. We seemed to be on an upward trend that would make us consistently a ranked program. Then we got the Pasqualone/Diaco doubleheader and all that momentum was wasted. We brought back Randy to stabilize the program and it turned out the game had passed him by.

Hopefully, Mora can pull us out of the hole and bring us back at least to respectability. I am cautiously optimistic given the influx of talent that we've seen, but I will remain skeptical until it translates to on the field success. We've been burned too many times.
It was worse than that. We also got screwed conference wise in 2011 and 2012 and had to decamp to the dreadful AAC. We were in a BCS Bowl on 1/1/2011, in the midst of a 5 game win streak vs. Syracuse, and won our 3rd Natty in hoops on 4/4/2011. Then RE left and the conference crap started. To make matters worse, Warde Manuel (Susan Herbst's "rock star") was hired as AD after Hathaway was canned. It was a perfect storm.

Through it all, we have adjusted and actually strengthened our hoops program, but football suffered. If football is going to make a return to competence, it will be because of a new conferences affiliation. Mora is doing as good as he can under the circumstances, but football needs a conference. If BB is taken over by the university participants ala CFP, that money will make us attractive to any conference. If so structured, March Madness will become the economic engine that will be our ticket to a real conference.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It was worse than that. We also got screwed conference wise in 2011 and 2012 and had to decamp to the dreadful AAC. We were in a BCS Bowl on 1/1/2011, in the midst of a 5 game win streak vs. Syracuse, and won our 3rd Natty in hoops on 4/4/2011. Then RE left and the conference crap started. To make matters worse, Warde Manuel (Susan Herbst's "rock star") was hired as AD after Hathaway was canned. It was a perfect storm.

Through it all, we have adjusted and actually strengthened our hoops program, but football suffered. If football is going to make a return to competence, it will be because of a new conferences affiliation. Mora is doing as good as he can under the circumstances, but football needs a conference. If BB is taken over by the university participants ala CFP, that money will make us attractive to any conference. If so structured, March Madness will become the economic engine that will be our ticket to a real conference.
Mora has made it clear that he perceives not being in a conference and not having an on campus stadium as two huge disadvantages at Connecticut at the Stamford roadshow. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think he used the phrase "nearly insurmountable" regarding the double whammy of those two circumstances.

Reaction Score

It’s not hard to say.

Randy would have been awful in the NIL era. Imagine Dabo Swinney only with no talent and no charisma.

Reaction Score
Both things he was well aware of and never cried about when he took over and lead us to a surprisingly good first season

When he laid an egg in year two it became a catastrophic thing

As if being in the MAC or CUSA would solve all his problems lol
No… lack of NIL was a “catastrophic” thing (until he pitched a bitch after last year) - the lack of stadium/conference is just a “huge challenge”.

Reaction Score
Both things he was well aware of and never cried about when he took over and lead us to a surprisingly good first season

When he laid an egg in year two it became a catastrophic thing

As if being in the MAC or CUSA would solve all his problems lol

He wanted a coaching job. After doing this for a couple of seasons reality is setting in.

Hopefully it’s just Jim being Jim. He uses extreme words to make a point; which I can relate to. But it sure sounds like he is disenchanted with not having two very basic things that a program needs.

If he wins a bunch of games that place will fill up and the off campus piece won’t seem so bad in my opinion.

Reaction Score
No… lack of NIL was a “catastrophic” thing (until he pitched a bitch) - the lack of stadium/conference is a huge challenge.

I guess it is a year to year thing to be challenged by it.
Didn't bother his first year players to play Indy and off campus.

Nor the recent highly ranked portal class. I would argue they likely wouldn't have come to face a skid of MAC or CUSA teams

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I guess it is a year to year thing to be challenged by it.
Didn't bother his first year players to play Indy and off campus.

Nor the recent highly ranked portal class. I would argue they likely wouldn't have come to face a skid of MAC or CUSA teams
I agree king. Bitching about the stadium is just excuse making. I lost a bit of respect for him when he went there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom