Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 709 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Fail Charlie Brown GIF by Peanuts
Hahaha... eph you!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Does anyone think Memphis could be a good fit for Big 12?
Academically not strong, but they check a lot of other boxes including fan support.

Asking for a friend.
It does compute.....sad to say.

pj

Reaction Score
PAC4 + MW + SMU & Tulane = PAC18

at least 9 of the 12 MW teams must leave to dissolve the conference and remove exit fees. i don't think they will leave 3 teams hanging and will require PAC to accept all 12.

Right now the MW has a favorable media contract, negotiated near the peak of the market. If they rip up the MW conference, that media deal goes away and this new Pac18 would have to negotiate a new one in a down period for the market. Why would this collection of schools do well?

If Stanford and Cal can't get into a major conference then they may have to get creative with an undersize conference and some kind of scheduling alliance with other leagues to add games.

Reaction Score
That's not what is going on.

They can't add UConn with this much time left in the GOR because they are looking for votes to break the GOR. They know UConn would be aligned against that since the schools that would favor UConn are definitely not FSU and Clemson.

The closer you get to the end of the GOR, the more these votes begin to matter much much less.

I bet the prospect of additions to the league is being resisted by the northeast schools plus Wake Forest and Georgia Tech, Louisville as well.

We have to remember that the ACC has split allegiances and that this makes agreement on added members difficult.

Yea, there is not some grudge here. There likely was in the past, but it's confirmed they almost added us in 2011 or whenever Ville was added. This is all self-preservation. Those schools were smart to bend to FSU and Clemson at that time, it got them the GOR and as a result a dozen years of borrowed time. At this point we need to tread water finance wise and we will end up in a Duke/Cuse/Pitt/Wake conference whenever the ACC football powers figure out how to break free.

Reaction Score
Right now the MW has a favorable media contract, negotiated near the peak of the market. If they rip up the MW conference, that media deal goes away and this new Pac18 would have to negotiate a new one in a down period for the market. Why would this collection of schools do well?

If Stanford and Cal can't get into a major conference then they may have to get creative with an undersize conference and some kind of scheduling alliance with other leagues to add games.
you dont think that group of 18 could do better than the 4 mill per year per school the MW contract provides or the 5 mill per year per school the AAC gets?

i think they could do a couple mill better with a mix of linear and streaming e.g. nbc + apple or amazon

but if that 18 cant do any better, than stanford and cal certainly cant on their own as indies with their olympic sports in the WCC.

Reaction Score
I believe the B12 still wants UCONN. They simply haven't found the media partner yet to step up and pay for the UCONN addition. Once they find that, I believe we can still get in with another school.
I'm hoping for that. The Big 12's new media deal starts in two years.

Reaction Score
I think you're ignoring the donations the school and seat licenses the school gets from playing in Hartford. They essentially get to double dip.

I suspect we'll never see the true data, but id love to see a donation breakdown between Gampel and Civic Center season ticket holders.

Now with all this said, I tend to agree it's not a good deal, but the worse part is how UConn accounts for it all. As @CL82 noted a lot of these expenses are just paper not cash out and something of the things the AD takes the expense for are kind of dubious as well.

The on campus stadium and deficit are such big talking points, that could pretty easily be resolved with a) 'committee' to investigate an on campus stadium, b) figure out a better way to spread the expenses out aside from parking it in the AD which makes the school like inept.
There is no "true data." No one knows how much more generous the General Assembly is because the Athletic Dept. helps downtown Hartford, and no one truly knows what the "net" donation effect would be of moving more games from Hartford to Storr. One can only make the best estimates one can.

GG

Reaction Score
I think the part he was incorrect about was that UCONN Is #14 no matter what. I suspect Arizona, ASU, and UTAH approached the B12 as a package of 3, which B12 gave in on. This changed the original game plan, and UCONN was SOL.
GoKU had us at 14, but Greg Flugar always said that we were behind Arizona, Arizona State and Utah. Greg also indicated that there was legitimate interest by Yormark. The disconnect with the order of priority schools is what confused me. Greg and GoKU have different sources. Perhaps what Yormark wanted differed from the presidents.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
GoKU had us at 14, but Greg Flugar always said that we were behind Arizona, Arizona State and Utah. Greg also indicated that there was legitimate interest by Yormark. The disconnect with the order of priority schools is what confused me. Greg and GoKU have different sources. Perhaps what Yormark wanted differed from the presidents.
What Iowa State’s guy and what GoKU was saying was pretty similar

Reaction Score
Are these people dense? The Pac will stay the Pac and expand with some combination of MWC and AAC schools (Tulane, SMU). They aren't giving up the brand name and the NCAA credits.
Are they allowed to stay the PAC since most of the conference left? And will they still get NCAA credits?

They can have a decent football conference if they pick off the top of the AAC and MWC. It's won't be worth any money but it'll be pretty good football kind of like the early 00s CUSA

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Trey Wallace key? IDK - but here is story with some numbers.....The yes votes are not done trying to work the no votes.

Reaction Score
OK it's hilarious that the schools that want to leave are the ones holding other people back from expansion. This happens all the time and it's a joke.
Why is that a joke? These have bigger paydays elsewhere and are being held hostage. It would be silly for them to vote yes and still wait 12 years for gor to expire.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Are they allowed to stay the PAC since most of the conference left? And will they still get NCAA credits?

They can have a decent football conference if they pick off the top of the AAC and MWC. It's won't be worth any money but it'll be pretty good football kind of like the early 00s CUSA
Yes. It’s what we did in the Big East/American too. MWC was already not that far behind the PAC aside from Oregon and USC. It would be a clear 5th best league.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
There is no "true data." No one knows how much more generous the General Assembly is because the Athletic Dept. helps downtown Hartford, and no one truly knows what the "net" donation effect would be of moving more games from Hartford to Storr. One can only make the best estimates one can.

I think they likely have the data that shows Jane Dowe donated $15,000 and has season tickets in Hartford or John Smith has season tickets in Gampel and donated $17,000. No?

As for the the political side, you're right, who knows.

Orc

Reaction Score
Trey Wallace key? IDK - but here is story with some numbers.....The yes votes are not done trying to work the no votes.

Wow. SMU is really about to be added before Uconn. Horrible football also and terrible in almost all other sports. Not to mention there’s only 10 people that watches them on TV. So why do fans of other school so quick to question Uconn’s accomplishment but no one mentions how terrible SMU is in pretty much all sports?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom