Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 844 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
By all accounts WVU has not been happy in the Big XII. I think if they could get Cinci to move with them and be reunited with Pitt and Louisville, they would.
That could be, but I think Louisville and Pitt would rather go to the Big12 than stay in a depleted ACC and if/when they could depart, that would cement Cinci and WVU staying in the Big12. The linchpin is if/how the ACC falls apart. Definitely lots of scenarios - all depends on if/how the magnificent 7 are able to depart and what sort of exit fee/GOR settlements come into ACC cofers.... Do we have a scenario similar to the PAC implosion, or don't we? Time will tell.

Reaction Score
That could be, but I think Louisville and Pitt would rather go to the Big12 than stay in a depleted ACC and if/when they could depart, that would cement Cinci and WVU staying in the Big12. The linchpin is if/how the ACC falls apart. Definitely lots of scenarios - all depends on if/how the magnificent 7 are able to depart and what sort of exit fee/GOR settlements come into ACC cofers.... Do we have a scenario similar to the PAC implosion, or don't we? Time will tell.
That depends on how aggressive the ACC
All things equal the ACC is a no brainer for both of them plus UCF and Cincinnati.
The real question is will they panic
The ACC is in better markets on average than the Big 12
Even without FSU and Clemson . FSU and Clemson are not UT and Oklahoma .

Reaction Score
The Super Bowl had more fans than the Big East Tournament? You don’t say.
I was just pointing out that college sports are not that important in NYC. People have many interests - arts, fashion, theatre, literature, and restaurants, etc. I lived in NYC for over 10 years and never recall anyone talking about BET.

Reaction Score
No one is leaving the Big 12 unless it's for the SEC or B1G. The 4 corner schools, Okie State, the Kansases, WVU, Iowa State, Texas Tech, plus Cinci, Houston, UCF. That's a much more solid public foundation than the ACC will have. 13 large public schools. Then you got BYU, Baylor, TCU. The ACC is in Barney big time.

Reaction Score
I think this only works if they succeed in getting a large payout from Clemson, FSU and UNC. They could use that to help Cinci and WVU buy their way out. That would be a good situation for us. I wish they didn't get bullied into saving Stanford and Cal though. That'll be miserable travel.
I think you could also add WSU and OSU along with San Diego State for Western pod

Reaction Score
That depends on how aggressive the ACC
All things equal the ACC is a no brainer for both of them plus UCF and Cincinnati.
The real question is will they panic
The ACC is in better markets on average than the Big 12
Even without FSU and Clemson . FSU and Clemson are not UT and Oklahoma .
I think you're over valuing the ACC leftovers and under valuing the Big12. It's about football eyeballs and the Big12 is greater than an ACC without FSU and Clemson. It's not just about markets - it's about actual eyeballs (see exhibit 1: BC, exhibit 2: Wake Forest, etc.). If ESPN was so jazzed about the ACC, they'd have already exercised their option to extend. They haven't. And that's WITH FSU and Clemson on board. Think of the calculus WITHOUT those two.

Reaction Score
Seems like it all comes down to Fox vs ESPN… as to which one will actually enable a raid / expansion.
Don’t underestimate this reality. It isn’t the conferences making these decisions. It all comes down to the networks offering $$. If ESPN is willing to pay, BIG 12 teams will jump. Same goes with FOX…

Reaction Score
By all accounts WVU has not been happy in the Big XII. I think if they could get Cinci to move with them and be reunited with Pitt and Louisville, they would.

They would have to consider it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There's not as much going on, but KC has plenty of other sports distractions between KU, Mizzou, KSU, Royals, Chiefs and Sporting.
But not NBA and NHL which are the main competitors in March at sports bars across the northeast. Metro NYC has five of those teams. I still hope KC could lure the Kings back.

Reaction Score
I think you're over valuing the ACC leftovers and under valuing the Big12. It's about football eyeballs and the Big12 is greater than an ACC without FSU and Clemson. It's not just about markets - it's about actual eyeballs (see exhibit 1: BC, exhibit 2: Wake Forest, etc.). If ESPN was so jazzed about the ACC, they'd have already exercised their option to extend. They haven't. And that's WITH FSU and Clemson on board. Think of the calculus WITHOUT those two.
I think there are too many moving parts at the moment to make any additions. Reality is, anything without FSU and Clemson moving forward is a hit. But this isn’t as much of a hit like losing Texas or OU.
At some point, ACC will likely lose programs to P2 and then add.
It depends on who they lose, the cost to leave, and available adds. Nobody is making moves until they have to.

Reaction Score
I think there are too many moving parts at the moment to make any additions. Reality is, anything without FSU and Clemson moving forward is a hit. But this isn’t as much of a hit like losing Texas or OU.
At some point, ACC will likely lose programs to P2 and then add.
It depends on who they lose, the cost to leave, and available adds. Nobody is making moves until they have to.

If FSU and Clemson get out, UVA and UNC won't be far behind (BiG is my guess). Then the ACC implodes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's a "depleted" Big12, too.

After TX and OK leave, who is the big brand/ratings draw in that conference? Which teams will be perennial contenders for a natty?
The rest of the ACC is still just as strong as the Big XII, but with a better region, better history (the west cost additions not withstanding) and better brand names. If it is just FSU and Clemson, the ACC >>> Big XII. If they lose UNC and Miami, then it shifts towards the Big XII. But the smart move for both is to trade Stanford and Cal for WVU and Cincinnati. Both conferences and all four schools would be better off.

Reaction Score
The rest of the ACC is still just as strong as the Big XII, but with a better region, better history (the west cost additions not withstanding) and better brand names. If it is just FSU and Clemson, the ACC >>> Big XII. If they lose UNC and Miami, then it shifts towards the Big XII. But the smart move for both is to trade Stanford and Cal for WVU and Cincinnati. Both conferences and all four schools would be better off.

Stanford and Cal had no interest in the Big 12. They didn't want to associate with lesser academic schools. If the B1G doesn't want them, the ACC is their only option.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Seems like it all comes down to Fox vs ESPN… as to which one will actually enable a raid / expansion.

It does and there's a good possibility it comes down to more of not wanting to be reacting to the other one going first.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For a while at least, any leftover schools are going to be sitting on a windfall of exit fees and GOR buyouts. That will probably create an economic incentive to stay in the ACC in the near term.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
WVU hasn't liked being in the big 12 because they were out on an island. That changed when Cincy was added. It would change even more with the addition of Pitt and Louisville.

Reaction Score
Stanford and Cal had no interest in the Big 12. They didn't want to associate with lesser academic schools. If the B1G doesn't want them, the ACC is their only option.
If the ACC implodes and the left behinds media contract goes down, it kind of doesn't make sense to have the expense of traveling to California for the ACC schools.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If the ACC implodes and the left behinds media contract goes down, it kind of doesn't make sense to have the expense of traveling to California for the ACC schools.

The economics of competing at different levels completely changed with the House case. More revenues may no longer mean more profits for an individual school.

Reaction Score

After TX and OK leave, who is the big brand/ratings draw in that conference? Which teams will be perennial contenders for a natty?

40-60% of college football is people watching 18 Programs.

The Big 12 no longer has any of those. And you can be pretty sure the ACC won’t either.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
40-60% of college football is people watching 18 Programs.

The Big 12 no longer has any of those. And you can be pretty sure the ACC won’t either.

You keep giving the same wrong take over and over. You should stick to Matlock or whatever else it is you watch, grandpa.

Reaction Score

Big 12 got Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Utah. All AAU by the way.

No, Texas and Oklahoma cannot be replaced from a football standpoint but I think many are undervaluing the Corner 4 by a lot. Big 12 just picked up 33% of the PAC 12 which is not too shabby. And those Corner 4 will now be playing many games in Texas and Florida.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom