Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 808 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
UNC knows FSU is in a strong offensive position in its lawsuit against the ACC. This is very telling with the timing same as FSU's amended filing yeterday in FL court that has been deemed a scorcher.

Reaction Score
There has always been some stink around the ACC/Raycom deal with Swofford and his son involved.

If there are communications showing that Swofford insisted on Raycom getting a piece of the ACC deal, it could be the smoking gun FSU can use to blow it all
If you lie down with the Devil, you will wake up in hell

Reaction Score
To be clear, I don't think this will happen. But, how awesome would it be (except for the FSU guy that's here) if Florida State winds up in a San Diego State situation. They get their way and the GOR and exit fee are lowered. Then their conference mates get the call over them with the Big Ten (Miami) and SEC (UF blocks them) and they are stuck taking an SMU-type deal somewhere or having to apologize to the ACC and stay. Just a dream, but some of this same bluster of lawsuits and ad hominem attacks are what got UConn blackballed by schools like FSU.

Reaction Score
To be clear, I don't think this will happen. But, how awesome would it be (except for the FSU guy that's here) if Florida State winds up in a San Diego State situation. They get their way and the GOR and exit fee are lowered. Then their conference mates get the call over them with the Big Ten (Miami) and SEC (UF blocks them) and they are stuck taking an SMU-type deal somewhere or having to apologize to the ACC and stay. Just a dream, but some of this same bluster of lawsuits and ad hominem attacks are what got UConn blackballed by schools like FSU.
As a UConn fan we should hope the ACC is just fractured and not completely put out of business. Make no mistake- FSU, UNC are heading to the P2. Miami, UVA, Clemson uncertain. UConn should then be a target of the ACC- football, hoops, all sports a good fit.....UConn needs to find a home for football- independent status is not sustainable.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
As a UConn fan we should hope the ACC is just fractured and not completely put out of business. Make no mistake- FSU, UNC are heading to the P2. Miami, UVA, Clemson uncertain. UConn should then be a target of the ACC- football, hoops, all sports a good fit.....UConn needs to find a home for football- independent status is not sustainable.
It ain't just FSU, Clemson, Miami and several others are licking their chops right now.

If FSU wins, there will be a dash for the exit among at least 5 ACC schools.

You can almost smell realignment in the air.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
It ain't just FSU, Clemson, Miami and several others are licking their chops right now.

If FSU wins, there will be a dash for the exit among at least 5 ACC schools.

You can almost smell realignment in the air.
The thing is, will all those teams have a landing spot?

One thing I rarely see discussed is whether the SEC would jettison a couple of schools to make room for proven football powerhouses. Vandy for sure, maybe Kentucky. Those two likely join the ACC. If the SEC wants to make more room, maybe Arkansas and Missouri get the boot. They could join the B12 with WVU and Cincy coming over to the ACC.

In the end, maybe enough convolution occurs that once again Rule 1 leaves us standing without a chair.

Reaction Score
The thing is, will all those teams have a landing spot?

One thing I rarely see discussed is whether the SEC would jettison a couple of schools to make room for proven football powerhouses. Vandy for sure, maybe Kentucky. Those two likely join the ACC. If the SEC wants to make more room, maybe Arkansas and Missouri get the boot. They could join the B12 with WVU and Cincy coming over to the ACC.

In the end, maybe enough convolution occurs that once again Rule 1 leaves us standing without a chair.
No one is getting booted in this round of consolidation (maybe in 5-10 years but it seems like it'd be a school opting out rather than getting booted out)... Seems like ACC movement could be 2 to B1G, 2 to SEC, and 4 to Big12. That leaves the ACC remnants needing to backfill a bit to replenish both from a FB and BB standpoint.

Reaction Score
There'd have to be a major sea change for small, private, Catholic, basketball-only schools to want to embrace football playing larger universities. The only way I see it happening is if the ACC imploded/half the schools depart leaving Syra, Pitt, BC, maybe VA Tech homeless AND the current Big East TV negotiations looking so bleak that the small Catholic schools so desperate that they agree to a FB/BB alignment. It'd bring back many of the same problems that fractured the OBE in the first place... For that and other reasons, I think it's a real long shot to ever happen.

Reaction Score
There'd have to be a major sea change for small, private, Catholic, basketball-only schools to want to embrace football playing larger universities. The only way I see it happening is if the ACC imploded/half the schools depart leaving Syra, Pitt, BC, maybe VA Tech homeless AND the current Big East TV negotiations looking so bleak that the small Catholic schools so desperate that they agree to a FB/BB alignment. It'd bring back many of the same problems that fractured the OBE in the first place... For that and other reasons, I think it's a real long shot to ever happen.
It would have to be done with separate TV deals for football and basketball.

Reaction Score
Welp, the PAC 12 imploded and two elite Cali academics joined the ACC. That's a pretty major change of sea. The ACC has been on shaky ground. I could easily envision Duke, Wake, Cuse, BCU, Pitt, Va Tech scrambling to save both football and basketball. Cal, Stanford, sure bring them along. The biggest problem with the OBE was that many programs had seemingly better options. I think the east coast could handle THE premier hoops conference combined with very solid P/G football conference. Perhaps 20 programs total, 10 and 10, so the football side has ample opportunity for OOC games.

Reaction Score
Welp, the PAC 12 imploded and two elite Cali academics joined the ACC. That's a pretty major change of sea. The ACC has been on shaky ground. I could easily envision Duke, Wake, Cuse, BCU, Pitt, Va Tech scrambling to save both football and basketball. Cal, Stanford, sure bring them along. The biggest problem with the OBE was that many programs had seemingly better options. I think the east coast could handle THE premier hoops conference combined with very solid P/G football conference. Perhaps 20 programs total, 10 and 10, so the football side has ample opportunity for OOC games.
I don't disagree agree with some of your points, but you skip over the most important factor and assume it'd happen (Catholic schools wanting this to occur). Yes, many OBE schools had better options and left for them (i.e. the ACC) and even though I did include Pitt and VA Tech as potentials for a NNBE (new New Big East), they'd certainly want to be in the Big12 as opposed to a NNBE so it's no slam dunk that they'd even be interested and available. The fracture of the Catholics and the FB playing universities in the OBE is what caused the schools that left to actually start looking elsewhere and needs to be considered.

In my mind, maybe more likely to happen is ACC leftover programs like BC, Syracuse, Wake, Duke (I'll leave out Pitt now because I think they would be Big12 bound because WV would benefit and Pitt can bring FB value to the Big12) agree to be in the Big East for Olympic sports and then the football schools form a separate football playing conference or affiliation of Independent status football schools where they can schedule amongst themselves, add in one or two power conference games, and a local rival or two each season to form FB schedules that are better than we currently do now as a standalone Independent. They could manage their own streaming-dominant media contracts on the football side. Not ideal, but one scenario to try to survive from a FB standpoint and optimize basketball/Olympic sports revenue in the post-consolidation era. There are other scenarios, too, of course but that one came off the top of my head in response to your/other poster's previous thoughts.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that the rest of the Big East schools care if they're left behind by the biggest football-playing public/state institutions... with the caveat that they care if their dollars are impacted. It's been said in a few threads, but is true, without UCONN there are few actual TV draws in the league. UCONN games & most Villanova ones are desirable (the league hopes Pitino can move St. John's into this tier); otherwise it's a collection of schools desirable-only when they are good (this year that includes Marquette & Creighton, past years Xavier), schools with small followings in big markets, and schools who are filler program, only worth airing when they play a UCONN.

I'd expect the ACC's framework to survive and be the selector of schools to join them. Fine for UCONN but the rest of the Big East will be left out (extraordinarily small chance of Villanova if they suddenly reverse their thinking and finally upgrade (although why they'd do that after rejecting the chance to join a then P6 equivalent immediately a few times over the last two decades I'm not sure)). I have a hard time imagining that a Syracuse or even a BC would want to go back to a construct where their destiny can be set by schools who don't have the same common interests (again); nor do I see a school like Villanova or St. John's wanting to go back to a construct where they are just a follower, rather than a leader in their conference.. because even in that hybrid construct football and the revenue opportunities there will still drive the bus.

In the end even for basketball... UConn, Syracuse, Duke is a stronger basketball core than UConn, Villanova, St. John's and all three of former schools are more aligned on their athletic department goals, than the latter three. If you can get to 10 of 10 votes being football-centric (and not limiting the ways football money can advantage the olympic sports, etc) it's better than getting 10 of 20. Even under the separate construct, I can't see the basketball schools wanting to worry about constant reorganization from schools chasing football dollars and thereby having to leave both the basketball AND football conferences.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that the rest of the Big East schools care if they're left behind by the biggest football-playing public/state institutions... with the caveat that they care if their dollars are impacted. It's been said in a few threads, but is true, without UCONN there are few actual TV draws in the league. UCONN games & most Villanova ones are desirable (the league hopes Pitino can move St. John's into this tier); otherwise it's a collection of schools desirable-only when they are good (this year that includes Marquette & Creighton, past years Xavier), schools with small followings in big markets, and schools who are filler program, only worth airing when they play a UCONN.

I'd expect the ACC's framework to survive and be the selector of schools to join them. Fine for UCONN but the rest of the Big East will be left out (extraordinarily small chance of Villanova if they suddenly reverse their thinking and finally upgrade (although why they'd do that after rejecting the chance to join a then P6 equivalent immediately a few times over the last two decades I'm not sure)). I have a hard time imagining that a Syracuse or even a BC would want to go back to a construct where their destiny can be set by schools who don't have the same common interests (again); nor do I see a school like Villanova or St. John's wanting to go back to a construct where they are just a follower, rather than a leader in their conference.. because even in that hybrid construct football and the revenue opportunities there will still drive the bus.

In the end even for basketball... UConn, Syracuse, Duke is a stronger basketball core than UConn, Villanova, St. John's and all three of former schools are more aligned on their athletic department goals, than the latter three. If you can get to 10 of 10 votes being football-centric (and not limiting the ways football money can advantage the olympic sports, etc) it's better than getting 10 of 20. Even under the separate construct, I can't see the basketball schools wanting to worry about constant reorganization from schools chasing football dollars and thereby having to leave both the basketball AND football conferences.
Said perfectly!!

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
One option, not being discussed, is if we pooled our pennies and bought the remnant ACC.

With new structures in terms of GOR and TV contracts, there is a possibility that several of the folks fleeing the ACC might be persuaded back.

It would be attractive to retain the ACC name and its geographical implications. (Cali schools are less attractive in terms of Olympic sports and related traffic implications)

Reaction Score

And I would rather take a chance and wait for the theoretical ACC leftovers than take a bad Basketball only Big 12 deal and have to play the conference tournament in KC every year. And I live there!

Reaction Score
Basketball programs after dust "settles," I think, so a lot depends on how big the P2 and Big 12 will go.
11 - Big East
18 - ACC
18 - Big 10
16 - SEC
16 - Big 12

Reaction Score
Weird that they choose different windows for football and basketball attendance. In UConns case it costs them higher home attendance from 2009-2012

Reaction Score
I would think UConn would be very much one of the leading candidates-

for: State Flagship, academics, basketball, geography, northeast NYC Market, very good in all other sports including olympics...

Fail Charlie Brown GIF by Peanuts

I thought I was done having to post this after the Big 12 debacle

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom