Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 807 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Anybody who thinks cable is dying a quick death is a fool. Especially given restaurants and bars need something easy to manage its tvs.

The cable providers themselves STRONGLY disagree with you. Charter's CEO is on the record as saying he makes no money from selling television.

What you will see more of is bundling streaming and cable services together, but the cost of that has to come from somewhere, and ESPN is a big, fat target.

Reaction Score
ESPN should start buying out all the long term deals they are in so they can come up with this $1.3 billion

I think it should go to open market where it could rake in $1.5-$2 billion. Why settle for an opening offer from ESPN?

Reaction Score
What you will see more of is bundling streaming and cable services together, but the cost of that has to come from somewhere, and ESPN is a big, fat target.
Disney is already talking about going back to licensing their content because Disney+ and ESPN+ are failures. It'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think it should go to open market where it could rake in $1.5-$2 billion. Why settle for an opening offer from ESPN?

Why settle for an opening offer from ESPN?
...said George Kliavkoff, probably.

1704847588835.png

"I mean what's the worst thing that could happen if we say no?"

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The cable providers themselves STRONGLY disagree with you. Charter's CEO is on the record as saying he makes no money from selling television.

Classic Nelson Dunning-Kruger here: one cable executive with a long history of ridiculous statements makes a ridiculous statement, therefore it is the belief of all cable providers.

Reaction Score
Classic Nelson Dunning-Kruger here: one cable executive with a long history of ridiculous statements makes a ridiculous statement, therefore it is the belief of all cable providers.
He knows some AAU families and therefore knows entire youth sport industry will collapse under P2.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
He knows some AAU families and therefore knows entire youth sport industry will collapse under P2.
IT IS SIMPLY UNAVOIDABLE FACT

Reaction Score

-> Any UNC System school — and that includes UNC Chapel Hill and N.C. State University — that wants to change athletic conferences will have to get approval from the system president and the board under a policy change approved by a board committee Wednesday.

The change must be approved by the full 24-member Board of Governors before it goes into effect. The change will appear on the consent agenda at the board's Feb. 28-29 meeting.

The University Governance committee approved the move Wednesday.

"The purpose of this notice is to provide the President the opportunity to weigh in on the potential impacts of the agreement, including those that may impact the financial health of the intercollegiate athletic program, contract risk or legal risk associated with that agreement," Kellie Hunt Blue, chair of the university governance committee, told the board Thursday.

"The amendments also provide the Board of Governors with an opportunity to review any agreements and financial plans with legal counsel so that they may inform a constituent institution of any potential legal risk." <-

CL82

Reaction Score

-> Any UNC System school — and that includes UNC Chapel Hill and N.C. State University — that wants to change athletic conferences will have to get approval from the system president and the board under a policy change approved by a board committee Wednesday.

The change must be approved by the full 24-member Board of Governors before it goes into effect. The change will appear on the consent agenda at the board's Feb. 28-29 meeting.

The University Governance committee approved the move Wednesday.

"The purpose of this notice is to provide the President the opportunity to weigh in on the potential impacts of the agreement, including those that may impact the financial health of the intercollegiate athletic program, contract risk or legal risk associated with that agreement," Kellie Hunt Blue, chair of the university governance committee, told the board Thursday.

"The amendments also provide the Board of Governors with an opportunity to review any agreements and financial plans with legal counsel so that they may inform a constituent institution of any potential legal risk." <-

Note that this does not say UNC can't leave the ACC without NC State. it just says that either university must first go to the state board of governors and get permission. There's not a doubt in my mind that there would be a little bit of pressure, or at least questions whether NC State could tagalong, but, if UNC says we have the chance to make $80 million a year versus $35 million a year in media revenue alone, that the board of governors is not going to OK the move.

Reaction Score
Note that this does not say UNC can't leave the ACC without NC State. it just says that either university must first go to the state board of governors and get permission. There's not a doubt in my mind that there would be a little bit of pressure, or at least questions whether NC State could tagalong, but, if UNC says we have the chance to make $80 million a year versus $35 million a year in media revenue alone, that the board of governors is not going to OK the move.

Why would their BOG put themselves in that position? I understand wanting to having some say, but the downside is that you get all the political anger from the decision, which you ultimately will go along with. Woulda thought they wouldnt want there fingerprints on it.

CL82

Reaction Score
Why would their BOG put themselves in that position? I understand wanting to having some say, but the downside is that you get all the political anger from the decision, which you ultimately will go along with. Woulda thought they wouldnt want there fingerprints on it.
Fully agree, and yet they did. How do you like to be one of the guys who decided that UNC doesn't get to accept a big 10 offer? If you make that decision, you better be prepared to move out of state.

Reaction Score
The ACC is all about North Carolina...with four teams in state (UNC, NC State, Duke, and Wake), the ACC HQ, and tournaments in Charlotte...

If the ACC went the way of the Pac12, North Carolina might feel that it would be a significant loss.

Reaction Score
Agreed - this gives proactive options to the state board so as to give them the chance to approve UNC to go with NC State as long as they pay a Calimony type payment to NC State and or other considerations; so they can avoid a public s-show like what happened when UCLA left Cal behind.

Reaction Score
The ACC is all about North Carolina...with four teams in state (UNC, NC State, Duke, and Wake), the ACC HQ, and tournaments in Charlotte...

If the ACC went the way of the Pac12, North Carolina might feel that it would be a significant loss.
I get that. But ultimately the choice may be:
  • get out (and make $80M/year)
  • or save the UNC-centered conference (which will become the 'best' G5)

Giving the illusion that you have a choice in such a situation only seems to invite trouble.

Though I do hear that poverty is grand, I'm reminded of Hartford's Sophie Tucker: "I've been rich, and I've been poor. Rich is better."

Reaction Score
Exactly. Do what is best for one team or what is best for the North Carolina system. Who knows? Appalachian State could be a fill or ECU or both. The ACC..The All Carolina Conference.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see the ACC go their own way and keep the ACC together. They weren't football powers, they won't be competing with the football powers, so don't go chasing gold when you can do something more interesting. Dissolve the conference and regroup, let FSU and Clemson go if they want to. Keep all the major state schools, kick louisville and bcu to the curb. Invite UConn and maybe see if you can convince the Kansases and Okie State to join. Be the best basketball conference. Maybe some type of alliance with the Big East so you have the East Coast and basketball.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see the ACC go their own way and keep the ACC together. They weren't football powers, they won't be competing with the football powers, so don't go chasing gold when you can do something more interesting. Dissolve the conference and regroup, let FSU and Clemson go if they want to. Keep all the major state schools, kick louisville and bcu to the curb. Invite UConn and maybe see if you can convince the Kansases and Okie State to join. Be the best basketball conference. Maybe some type of alliance with the Big East so you have the East Coast and basketball.

Negative zero chance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom