Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 760 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
If UConn was in the ACC for all sports....the football schedule might look like this...(borrowed Louisville's this year)...

The ACC has dropped divisions starting this year for having three permanent rivals and rotating 5-5, playing a different rotating five every other year,

Boston College
NC State
Notre Dame
Pitt
Duke
Virginia Tech
Virginia
Miami

pj

Reaction Score
If UConn was in the ACC for all sports....the football schedule might look like this...(borrowed Louisville's this year)...

The ACC has dropped divisions starting this year for having three permanent rivals and rotating 5-5, playing a different rotating five every other year,

Boston College
NC State
Notre Dame
Pitt
Duke
Virginia Tech
Virginia
Miami

That would be a great schedule. You'd think BC and Cuse would be two of the permanent rivals, probably Pitt for the third.

Reaction Score
That would be a great schedule. You'd think BC and Cuse would be two of the permanent rivals, probably Pitt for the third.

They split up the three permanent rivals...

Syracuse has FSU, BC, and Pitt

BC has Miami, VT, and Pitt

(that has been announced and is a head scratcher...how can Cuse have a yearly rival in BC without it being reciprocal ?)

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
They split up the three permanent rivals...

Syracuse has FSU, BC, and Pitt

BC has Miami, VT, and Pitt

(that has been announced and is a head scratcher...how can Cuse have a yearly rival in BC without it being reciprocal ?)

That is a workaround to impose 4 permanent rivals on BC -- they have to play Syracuse every year along with their other 3 -- the heritage ACC schools are keeping BC off their schedules as much as possible by making them play old Big East teams as much as possible.

Reaction Score
That is a workaround to impose 4 permanent rivals on BC -- they have to play Syracuse every year along with their other 3 -- the heritage ACC schools are keeping BC off their schedules as much as possible by making them play old Big East teams as much as possible.

Well...I know that FSU was not happy getting Syracuse as a permanent rival...after playing them as a division team all of these years. Hoping for a team that made more geographic sense.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Is there ever any news that is good for us? On the flip side, we’ll be guaranteed to always finish in the top 3 for football independents… ;-)

Reaction Score
We should be angling to get involved as a football only with whatever Oregon St and Washington St are doing, maybe with USF or Memphis as a partner. That’s the best opportunity possible right now and it will help the PAC/MWC get more east of the Mississippi attention. I’m not sure that UConn is even interested in football only in the AAC at this point.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We should be angling to get involved as a football only with whatever Oregon St and Washington St are doing, maybe with USF or Memphis as a partner. That’s the best opportunity possible right now and it will help the PAC/MWC get more east of the Mississippi attention. I’m not sure that UConn is even interested in football only in the AAC at this point.

Why would this make any sense for a west coast conference?

Reaction Score
It probably doesn’t. However, the PAC was the weakest link because they were stuck with west coast time slots most of the time. Getting those schools more play in the East may be appealing for tv deals. Yormark was interested in more of an east coast presence, so it’s worth a couple phone calls.

My comment is about what we should be investigating. It doesn’t mean it will work out or make sense in the end. I can easily see AD Dave thinking that Indy for football is better than AAC for football as currently constituted, whereas football only in a new PAC or beefed up Mountain West would be awesome for us. I’d definitely try to put it out there.

Reaction Score
This is bad for us.
Hindsight is 20/20 but I think looking back at it that staying in the AAC and focusing on improving our football and basketball within that conference really would’ve been the better move in the long term.

Yes it may have taken basketball a little longer to turn it around but Hurley is a damn good coach and good coaches make things work regardless of the situation. Plus we would’ve had quality opponents in football. Maybe not regionally close but UCF Cinci Tulane Houston are all solid teams. It wouldve been hard for the Big 12 to pass us up if we were beating them consistently on the court and the field.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Hindsight is 20/20 but I think looking back at it that staying in the AAC and focusing on improving our football and basketball within that conference really would’ve been the better move in the long term.

Yes it may have taken basketball a little longer to turn it around but Hurley is a damn good coach and good coaches make things work regardless of the situation. Plus we would’ve had quality opponents in football. Maybe not regionally close but UCF Cinci Tulane Houston are all solid teams. It wouldve been hard for the Big 12 to pass us up if we were beating them consistently on the court and the field.
The AAC is garbage, and there is no guarantee we would have beaten out Houston or UCF for a Big 12 spot.

Reaction Score
The AAC is garbage, and there is no guarantee we would have beaten out Houston or UCF for a Big 12 spot.
i mean it’s garbage now but I think it’s pretty ironic to have us call it garbage back then when we were losing to every single team in the league.

All the good AAC teams found a home except for Tulane and Memphis which I’m sure are on the top of people’s list. And now the Indy’s have almost fully emptied out. Even NMSU found a home. I just think it was short sighted of us to assume this was the best route to a P5.

Reaction Score

You are correct, hindsight is 20/20. Basketball and football were both dying in the AAC and there was no way either program was turning it around in the AAC Gulag.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
i mean it’s garbage now but I think it’s pretty ironic to have us call it garbage back then when we were losing to every single team in the league.

All the good AAC teams found a home except for Tulane and Memphis which I’m sure are on the top of people’s list. And now the Indy’s have almost fully emptied out. Even NMSU found a home. I just think it was short sighted of us to assume this was the best route to a P5.
It was the best route back to athletic relevance.

Reaction Score
It probably doesn’t. However, the PAC was the weakest link because they were stuck with west coast time slots most of the time. Getting those schools more play in the East may be appealing for tv deals. Yormark was interested in more of an east coast presence, so it’s worth a couple phone calls.

My comment is about what we should be investigating. It doesn’t mean it will work out or make sense in the end. I can easily see AD Dave thinking that Indy for football is better than AAC for football as currently constituted, whereas football only in a new PAC or beefed up Mountain West would be awesome for us. I’d definitely try to put it out there.
A tire kick for football only is fine. Nothing to get nervous about

Reaction Score

We are a brand. More of one than Oregon State or Washington State.
We and they have to align with the best brands still on the outside.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It was the best route back to athletic relevance.
Lol, I can think of a few other ways...

College Basketball Sport GIF by NCAA March Madness

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom