Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 758 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
So, should we move basketball to the Patriot League, too?

Your comment is idiotic, but if you are looking for a basketball equivalent of the importance of wins no matter who they are against, look no further than the 1988 NIT championship season. Here are the out of conference wins that helped turn our men's basketball program around:

Maryland Eastern Shore
Yale
Morgan State
Central CT
Hartford
Princeton
Pepperdine
Holy Cross
Fairfield
Brooklyn

Those are all of the non-conference wins that gave us a good enough record to get into the NIT and helped turn the basketball program around. The big difference is our fanbase was not completely spoiled, arrogant and unworthy in 1988. Now only "Power" names turn some of us on apparently.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You comment is idiotic, but if you are looking for a basketball equivalent of the importance of wins no matter who they are against, look no further than the 1988 NIT championship season. Here are the out of conference wins that helped turn our men's basketball program around.

Maryland Eastern Shore
Yale
Morgan State
Central CT
Hartford
Princeton
Pepperdine
Holy Cross
Fairfield
Brooklyn

Those are all of the non-conference wins that gave us a good enough record to get into the NIT and helped turn the basketball program around. The big difference is our fanbase was not completely spoiled, arrogant and unworthy in 1988.
My comment wasn't idiotic, but your reply further shows a strange line of thinking. You seem to want us to play inferior competition/reduce our competitiveness. Very strange.

Reaction Score
My comment wasn't idiotic, but your reply further shows a strange line of thinking. You seem to want us to play inferior competition/reduce our competitiveness. Very strange.

I want us to join a conference and compete for the G5 auto-bid. Not strange at all. Thinking we will succeed continuing on this idiotic independent path of scheduling P5 teams that have a huge recruiting advantage over us is the definition of insanity. Nobody was celebrating last weeks close loss to NC state. Most of the comments were replace the QB and offensive coordinator. Let's completely ignore the fact that we are asking the one-armed boxer to win the fight.

Last edited:

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I want us to join a conference and compete for the G5 auto-bid. Not strange at all. Thinking we will succeed continuing on this idiotic independent path of scheduling P5 teams that have a huge recruiting advantage over us is the definition of insanity. Nobody was celebrating last weeks close loss to NC state. Most of the comments were replace the QB and offensive coordinator. Let's completely ignore the fact that we are asking the one-armed boxer to win the fight.

You really think joining the Sun Belt or CUSA will help UConn close the recruiting gap on P5 schools?

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
You really think joining the Sun Belt or CUSA will help UConn close the recruiting gap on P5 schools?
No, but For football it may have to be. When there is nobody to play between after Labor Day to Thanksgiving because everyone else is locked in…….

Reaction Score

Our ideal schedule should be one home P5 game, one away P5 game and ten G5 games. Obviously scheduling becomes a lot easier and the G5 games more interesting if we join a conference. Winning games will improve recruiting.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
No, but For football it may have to be. When there is nobody to play between after Labor Day to Thanksgiving because everyone else is locked in…….

Considering how many contracts they have signed that disprove this

Reaction Score
If you want to compete at the highest level, you need to play opponents of the highest caliber. End of story.

There's the delusion i'm talking about. We aren't at the highest level, we are G5. Why the denial about this fact? Are we pretending there is no difference between G5 and P5? There's an article in this thread about SMU paying 200 million dollars to join the P5. I guess someone should tell them they wasted their money.

Last edited:

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
There's the delusion i'm talking about. We aren't at the highest level, we are G5. Why the denial about this fact? Are we pretending there is no difference between G5 and P5? There's an article in this thread about SMU paying 200 million dollars to join the P5.
Our peers are in the P5, not G5. We may be a G5 school but that doesn't mean we should crawl up in a corner and play only G5 schools. BYU didn't do that, and neither should we. We have a brand people have heard of and P5 schools like UNC and Ole Miss are coming to our place. I'm not giving that up to play EMU or Jacksonville State every year. Yuck. It's a good thing AD Dave agrees with my line of thinking and not yours. Contrary to what you may think, if we join the MAC or CUSA (Sun Belt would not invite us), we would be downgrading our status in the college football landscape. There are degrees to the G5. Hint: we are near the top. Your proposal would lead us to sink to the bottom of the pool.

That me refresh you on this:

Tier 1: Big 10, SEC (multiple CFP bids yearly)
Tier 2: ACC, Big 12 (multiple CFP bids frequently)
Tier 3: AAC, MW (+ OSU, WSU), Army, UConn (CFP bid for conference champ frequently)
Tier 4: Sun Belt (CFP bid for conference champ rarely)
Tier 5: CUSA, MAC (no effective CFP access)

Reaction Score
Our peers are in the P5, not G5. We may be a G5 school but that doesn't mean we should crawl up in a corner and play only G5 schools. BYU didn't do that, and neither should we. We have a brand people have heard of and P5 schools like UNC and Ole Miss are coming to our place. I'm not giving that up to play EMU or Jacksonville State every year. Yuck. It's a good thing AD Dave agrees with my line of thinking and not yours. Contrary to what you may think, if we join the MAC or CUSA (Sun Belt would not invite us), we would be downgrading our status in the college football landscape. There are degrees to the G5. Hint: we are near the top. Your proposal would lead us to sink to the bottom of the pool.

That me refresh you on this:

Tier 1: Big 10, SEC (multiple CFP bids yearly)
Tier 2: ACC, Big 12 (multiple CFP bids frequently)
Tier 3: AAC, MW (+ OSU, WSU), Army, UConn (CFP bid for conference champ frequently)
Tier 4: Sun Belt (CFP bid for conference champ rarely)
Tier 5: CUSA, MAC (no effective CFP access)

I agree that CUSA is a non-starter. We are at the bottom pool as we will be locked out of the G5 auto-bid when playoffs expand. BTW Western Michigan out of the MAC was the G5 champ recently.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have had go net speed and you tube tv, for what will be a year this month. The savings and combo can't be beat. No house phone was the sacrifice.
Not much of a sacrifice, though. I found that the house phone incoming calls were mostly solicitation. Friends/family/work calls all came in on our cells.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I agree that CUSA is a non-starter. We are at the bottom pool as we will be locked out of the G5 auto-bid when playoffs expand. BTW Western Michigan out of the MAC was the G5 champ recently.
1 time out of 10 years. They needed to go undefeated and have atrophy in the AAC and MW. No team in the AAC or MW had less than two losses that year. Virtually, a miracle scenario.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
If it’s so easy to schedule P5 games, I’m struggling to see why you wouldn’t take an AAC offer with its eight conference games and schedule the remaining 4 as P5s or 1 P5 1 FCS. We already have 7 G5 games on this year’s calendar

Reaction Score
If it’s so easy to schedule P5 games, I’m struggling to see why you wouldn’t take an AAC offer with its eight conference games and schedule the remaining 4 as P5s or 1 P5 1 FCS. We already have 7 G5 games on this year’s calendar
Easy? No. Easier than when you don't have to account for dates taken up with conference games the majority of your fanbase doesn't want to see? I would say say yes. I'm with @shizzle787 here. Until the current scheduling philosophy doesn't work, there is no need to change the approach. Can difficulty present itself given P5 became the P4? Sure. 1st thing i would do now is talk to Oregon State and Washington State about games.

Reaction Score
If you are over 50, it doesn’t make sense to cut the cord. People in their 30s don’t really care for baseball though so being without NESN, SNY, and YES isn’t a big deal.
In the Boston area, NESN is an important channel for both hockey and baseball fans as they carry the Red Sox, Bruins, Hockey East, the Beanpot.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
There's a stigma to being classified as a G5 school within our own fanbase and opposing fanbases that is somewhat alleviated by being an Independent.

It's much easier to sell ourselves as that then to be lumped into the minor leagues.

Joining any non p4/p5 league as football only member kills that.

As long as our home broadcast rights are national in reach on linear TV there's no reason to join a g5 league.

Reaction Score
There's a stigma to being classified as a G5 school within our own fanbase and opposing fanbases that is somewhat alleviated by being an Independent.

It's much easier to sell ourselves as that then to be lumped into the minor leagues.

Joining any non p4/p5 league as football only member kills that.

As long as our home broadcast rights are national in reach on linear TV there's no reason to join a g5 league.
UConn isn’t G5. They don’t get CFP money. If UConn is top rated non p5, they don’t get into the playoff either

Reaction Score
UConn isn’t G5. They don’t get CFP money. If UConn is top rated non p5, they don’t get into the playoff either
UConn receives nominal $$ (in the scope of things) as an Independent from CFP system (?$300k +/-)

Reaction Score
UConn receives nominal $$ (in the scope of things) as an Independent from CFP system (?$300k +/-)
I don't think it would be much more today in AAC (believe it'd be around $1.5 million). Basically something UConn offsets having the annual buy game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom