Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 531 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
My feeling is BY wants UConn as do some of the schools but it is not unanimous.
Doubtful. This thing has been in motion for a while. It solidified in May. It was UConn if Colorado agreed to return. Unlikely dissension among the universities.

The wrinkle was last Thursday when AU had a complete unanticipated reversal. The Big12 were surprised. They are not going to drop UConn for Arizona. Just getting a partner for Arizona to join UConn and Colorado. The announcements may not come in the original order but UConn will be included.

Reaction Score

@huskymedic can you work your magic for access?

Assisted access here <

-> The pros for UConn in leaving the Big East would be the chance to rake in $30-plus million per year in a power five TV deal (though it may be a few years before they would get the full share), vs. about $3 million it gets now. It would also move its football program from independent into a luxury home, without hurting basketball, as the old AAC affiliation did.

The cons: the loss of old rivalries and the conference tournament in Madison Square Garden, a much greater travel burden and the $30 million exit fee. But Yormark envisions major basketball events at the Garden if UConn is in the conference. There are fans, notably Sen. Chris Murphy, who have called for UConn to stayput, but, um, did we mention the $30 million plus? (Privately, more than one UConn coach as expressed incredulity over Murphy’s stance.)

As has been noted, UConn is not in the position it was in a few years ago. If no invitation comes, UConn is fine in the Big East, its basketball fairly secure for the next few years, but if this opportunity comes, UConn will have to say “yes.” <-

Reaction Score
Pretty sure sticking with RE 2.0 for 5 years longer than we should have didn’t help.

That dog didn’t hunt!
Coach P and Diaco sucked, killed any momentum the program had. Hiring back the snake was the worst thing the school ever did though. The guy should've been banished after he quit on his players and left in his plane for his dream school. That looked like the school threw in the towel. It's amazing they were able to hire Mora after that. Dave Benedict has done a seriously good job turning things around.

Reaction Score
Doubtful. This thing has been in motion for a while. It solidified in May. It was UConn if Colorado agreed to return. Unlikely dissension among the universities.

The wrinkle was last Thursday when AU had a complete unanticipated reversal. The Big12 were surprised. They are not going to drop UConn for Arizona. Just getting a partner for Arizona to join UConn and Colorado. The announcements may not come in the original order but UConn will be included.
Hope so.

Reaction Score
Wow, I didn't realize that. That's actually good news, if accurate. I don't think the vast majority of big 12 members have any idea about the nature and extent of our facilities, or the fact that we have a relatively "rural" campus. (At least as rural as anything can be within the New York/Boston metroplex.)
IF it is true, then I think it shows that we are not being used as a pawn.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Assisted access here <

-> The pros for UConn in leaving the Big East would be the chance to rake in $30-plus million per year in a power five TV deal (though it may be a few years before they would get the full share), vs. about $3 million it gets now. It would also move its football program from independent into a luxury home, without hurting basketball, as the old AAC affiliation did.

The cons: the loss of old rivalries and the conference tournament in Madison Square Garden, a much greater travel burden and the $30 million exit fee. But Yormark envisions major basketball events at the Garden if UConn is in the conference. There are fans, notably Sen. Chris Murphy, who have called for UConn to stayput, but, um, did we mention the $30 million plus? (Privately, more than one UConn coach as expressed incredulity over Murphy’s stance.)

As has been noted, UConn is not in the position it was in a few years ago. If no invitation comes, UConn is fine in the Big East, its basketball fairly secure for the next few years, but if this opportunity comes, UConn will have to say “yes.” <-
Thanks. So basically, UConn will say yes to a $40M annual raise. Shocker lol.

I did love the bit about a UConn coach privately crapping on Chris Murphy’s take. That’s awesome.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Coach P and Diaco sucked, killed any momentum the program had. Hiring back the snake was the worst thing the school ever did though. The guy should've been banished after he quit on his players and left in his plane for his dream school. That looked like the school threw in the towel. It's amazing they were able to hire Mora after that. Dave Benedict has done a seriously good job turning things around.

At the time it seemed like it was Edsall or more Diaco. Not really in my worst case scenario did I expect Edsall to remarkably be worse. Just awful but in retrospect seemed like we were in between a rock in and a hard place.

Reaction Score
The Bill Self comments are a strong tell that the B12 is talking about 16 schools NOW. I don't know how they're going to get this over on the TV networks in this environment BUT, I would have to think that we're talking about Arizona as absolutely in. Self mentioned the BE.

Here's where it may become dicey for UConn. Oregon and Washington are a complete mystery at this point, but if Oregon is taking the B12 seriously, why wouldn't Washington? Both schools are in the same exact boat. If the B1G isn't looking to add soon, then both schools know what they're looking at. I can't fathom how Oregon would go to the B12 but not UW. That makes no sense.

I'm guessing it might be Arizona, UConn, Arizona St. are the additions.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
IF it is true, then I think it shows that we are not being used as a pawn.
Which, is not it a guarantee that we will get a B12 slot, but is an indicator that we are being seriously considered.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Not a tweet, or even and "X", but here is Dodds take:
Big 12 to stop at 14, Connecticut in the mix but only after Pac 12 options
"The Big 12's preference, for now, is to add only one more school to get to 14 members in this round of conference realignment, sources close to the situation tell CBS Sports."

Definition of for now:

"While adding up to three more schools and expanding to 16 remains a possibility, the league intends to wait at least a few days to let the migration of Colorado sink in before considering next steps."

This still lines up with what @GoKU has told us last evening. Except he's implied the consideration has been completed. Seems Yormack has his associates as tight lipped as Hurley. And yes I know it's contradictory if GoKU is passing along information to us. Totally different scenario for an unknown anonymous individual to come to the Boneyard passing out positive things vs someone like Dodd. The uncertainty of who he is makes it possible he's trolling so it doesn't interfere with Yormack's preference for silence. I'm still positive he's sincere. If I'm wrong I can handle the worst case scenario. My balls are now as hardened as nuts from all the kicks to them.

Actually I just prefer to think things will be positive this time so I'm going to enjoy the entire process leading up to the event. Once upon a time I was a knock on wood, we are doooommed dude. Removed most of that from my tool box. This is my way!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While PP and Diaco both ended up sucking that didn’t appear to be the case when they were hired. PP was about the same age at hire as Mora, had deep roots in CT high school football, and is the winningest coach at Syracuse going back to the 1920’s. Diaco was DC of the year at Notre Dame the year before he got on board.
RE 2.0 may have been a stop gap measure because the school had already begun exploring other options such as the BE.
I’m not sure how conference leaderships and other AD’s could conclude that was because UCONN gave up on football. That seems to be more the perception of fan bases.
The fact that those hires had some successes in other conferences points more towards the AAC as the primary cause for the dark years. Uninterested fan base and lower talented recruits driving it. Impacting hoops as well.
The decision makers must be able to at least recognize this and evaluate further.

Reaction Score
To be honest I thought with the withdrawal from the AAC and The football staff being hired on the basis of economics not competence, FSB football was going to die. We would either drop the sport or go back to FCS which made us a perfect fit for the Big East . I think that opinion was shared by most others in FSB community and is the reason for the UConn negativity .?The Mora hire and continued investment in the sport was out of left field. I would have loved to be in that room when that was pitched .
The believers that our program could not only survive but thrive as an Indy with no media deal at all , were extremely optimistic to be kind , but to a numbers guy like me , delusional. Our situation was like a guy trying to pay a $3000 a month mortgage making $50,000 a year ,long term you either forced to down size or get a better paying job.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
. Once upon a time I was a knock on wood, we are doooommed dude. Removed most of that from my tool box. This is my way!!!
Season 8 Episode 22 GIF by THE NEXT STEP

(You can thank me later.);)

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Season 8 Episode 22 GIF by THE NEXT STEP

(You can thank me later.);)
I thanked you before I posted knowing ahead of time you were going to have my back.

Reaction Score
It would not surprise me if the B12 went to 20 teams by adding UW, O, Stanford, Cal, A, ASU, Utah. That gives them protection against getting poached by the B1G and the SEC in 6-7 years. It also gives them the PAC 12 network. Yormark sees strength in numbers.

The ACC could also offer UW, O, Stanford, Cal & ASU or SMU. These additions might get ND to join in football. They play 5 ACC games plus Stanford every year already.

Our strategy should be to make the ACC worry that the B12 is about to invite us and get them to make a preemptive invite to us instead of an ASU or an SMU. In 6-7 years for the B12 or for the ACC in 10-12 years, either conference can get poached if they don’t get better media deals.

Reaction Score
The Bill Self comments are a strong tell that the B12 is talking about 16 schools NOW. I don't know how they're going to get this over on the TV networks in this environment BUT, I would have to think that we're talking about Arizona as absolutely in. Self mentioned the BE.

Here's where it may become dicey for UConn. Oregon and Washington are a complete mystery at this point, but if Oregon is taking the B12 seriously, why wouldn't Washington? Both schools are in the same exact boat. If the B1G isn't looking to add soon, then both schools know what they're looking at. I can't fathom how Oregon would go to the B12 but not UW. That makes no sense.

I'm guessing it might be Arizona, UConn, Arizona St. are the additions.
Oregon and Washington will only join the Big 12 now in a scenario where the Pac 12 lost so many schools that the conference loses their power 5 label and the auto bid to the new college football playoff. In theory, if the Pac loses good football teams, but keeps the autobid, then that could actually be good for the best Pac 12 football schools like Oregon and Utah. These schools also have the belief that if they don't get a BIG 10 invite, then they can get a Big 12 invite down the road. So it's extremely unlikely that any of them move now.

I also don't think Arizona wants to leave for the Big 12 without having another Pac 12 member join as a rival for them. UConn would be above Stanford, Cal, Oregon St, and Washington St in the order of most desirable schools for the Big 12. Utah, Washington, and Oregon will wait to see how things play out in realignment over the next 5 years. So that leaves Arizona and Arizona State as either a package deal or no deal IMO. Hence why the insiders at UConn are very confident that they will get an invite UNLESS something very unexpected happens like the Pac 12 gets informed that they are losing their power conference label and losing their auto bid to the college football playoff.

Reaction Score
He "quit on the players?" Is that even possible after the season was over?

Reaction Score
BL,

I could well be wrong but I personally believe that it is entirely plausible that none of the parties involved foresaw the possibility of Colorado departing the P-12 at this time with the P-12 still without a media deal.
Sure, but until about two weeks ago everyone was expecting to have the Pac's deal announced by its media day.

Is it possible? Sure. But as I said, if that's actually what happened BY is not the superman everyone here is saying he is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom