Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 351 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
"Several athletic administrators and college sports insiders discussed the Transfer Committee’s concepts under the condition of anonymity. They include (1) eliminating scholarship caps on sports that offer only partial scholarships; (2) abolishing the limitation on the number of coaches per team; (3) expanding direct payments from schools to athletes; (4) reconfiguring the recruiting calendar; and (5) implementing closed periods in the NCAA transfer portal. At least the first three items will be left in the decision-making hands of individual conferences, if the concepts are approved."

Note...the "first three items will be left in the decision making hands of individual conferences" would further skew the college football world...

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
As if it isn't bad enough now, I have this vision that the next version of a governing body will be like the foxes guarding the hen house. The whole college athletics landscape is becoming very disheartening.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The problem is that even if the P5 schools were to break away and form an autonomous organization, and invite UConn, we would have virtually no say in the governance. Not a great position to be in. The only thing worse, though, would be being left behind.

Reaction Score
As if it isn't bad enough now, I have this vision that the next version of a governing body will be like the foxes guarding the hen house. The whole college athletics landscape is becoming very disheartening.
Don’t lose any sleep. They will destroy themselves and the games eventually

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
The problem is that even if the P5 schools were to break away and form an autonomous organization, and invite UConn, we would have virtually no say in the governance. Not a great position to be in. The only thing worse, though, would be being left behind.
Sounds like being in the Big XII with Texas and Oklahoma.

Reaction Score
The beating of the drums are echoing in the jungle....Said Bwana Sahib sagaciously..."I think something may be afoot"

Ohio State AD - "We have to do something different. That’s for Doggone for sure." “And what I’m talking about is something different to us: making our own recruiting rules, our own playing rules, our own application, the full nine yards."

Penn State AD - “I think reasonable minds can agree on the principle that college football is different – FBS football is different, Power 5 football is a little different – and that we need flexibility and opportunity, fundamentally, to control what we are doing,”

Miami AD Dan Radakovich - "A break-off of some kind is “inevitable” and only a matter of time."

Paul Finebaum- "
“I think this is the moment that a lot of people are looking around saying, why do we need the NCAA? I know the basketball tournament is important. I know all these other sports are important, but the people that sit at that table, the five Power 5 commissioners plus Jack Swarbrick, plus a few other people, run college football,” Finebaum said on the show. “The NCAA does not run college football, they lost that a long time ago, and I think they’re seeing the ineptitude of the NCAA especially of the leadership that currently exists. And I think we’re moving slowly, when I mean slowly, maybe a couple of years you can’t do this overnight, but I think ultimately you are going to see a break.”

Reaction Score
The dominoes are being lined up...

First step will be related to moving governance out of NCAA and then negotiating post season deals for a new playoff. There will be increasing tier 1 minimum requirements that could see some teams opt out. I think the G5 will be invited initially to come along but it will be cost prohibitive for many of them.

Then the media and and the new structure that replaces the NCAA move to create a tier 1 league of top 60 or so teams....conferences as we now know them, would be reshuffled. How contractual ties muddy this scenario is anyone's guess.

The history, rivalries, and pageantry of college football, as we have come to love it, will be pitted against the lure of money and demands of the media.

Reaction Score

First step will be related to moving governance out of NCAA and then negotiating post season deals for a new playoff. There will be increasing tier 1 minimum requirements that could see some teams opt out. I think the G5 will be invited initially to come along but it will be cost prohibitive for many of them.

Then the media and and the new structure that replaces the NCAA move to create a tier 1 league of top 60 or so teams....conferences as we now know them, would be reshuffled. How contractual ties muddy this scenario is anyone's guess.

The history, rivalries, and pageantry of college football, as we have come to love it, will be pitted against the lure of money and demands of the media.

Why 60? Why not 30-40?

Reaction Score

Yup. …..and basketball will follow.

Reaction Score

What do you mean “will be”?

It’s steady been that way. The only thing that’s new about it is that some peoples previously unassailable positions at the top of the heap may not be as strong as they thought.

Reaction Score

Profound. Will also shall run downhill and the sun shall set in the west.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul