Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 350 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
There are tons of examples of transfers who left top programs and went on to star at other programs. This past year, Cincy’s top RB, Jerome Ford, was a transfer from Alabama and drafted in the 5th round. And, what about Justin Fields (Georgia to Ohio St.) 1st round pick, Jalen Hurts (Alabama to Oklahoma) 2nd round pick, Wandale Robinson (Nebraska to Kentucky) 2nd round pick, Malik Willis (Auburn to Liberty) 3rd round, Joe Flacco ( Pitt to Delaware) 1st round, Josh McCown (SMU to Sam Houston St.) 3rd round.

As for teams, #4 Cincy had 7 P5 transfers on the roster this year, #16 Louisiana had 9 P5 transfers, #17 Houston had 14 P5 transfers, #24 Utah St. had 10 P5 transfers, #25 San Diego St. had 5 P5 transfers. SMU had 18 P5 transfers. The transfer portal has become a huge opportunity for schools to upgrade their talent. UConn under Edsall was just slow to adjust to the changing landscape.
I agree that the transfer portal is an opportunity for schools further down on the food chain to upgrade their talent, But I think that @uconndogs is correct when he says that the portal system will tend to concentrate talent at the top schools. Yes, lesser schools will have access to highly ranked players who did not pan out at the bigger schools, but lesser ranked kids who succeed at lower schools will also have the opportunity to move upward. I strongly doubt we will ever see a top kid who is successful at a top school, getting all the playing time he wants, etc., moving to a lesser school.

It reminds me of a conversation I heard between the top guys at two competing organizations. Steve was humble bragging about a new addition he had taken from Jim’s organization. Jim replied I’d like to think anyone who leaves us to go to you increases the average IQ of both organizations.

Reaction Score
I agree that the transfer portal is an opportunity for schools further down on the food chain to upgrade their talent, But I think that @uconndogs is correct when he says that the portal system will tend to concentrate talent at the top schools. Yes, lesser schools will have access to highly ranked players who did not pan out at the bigger schools, but lesser ranked kids who succeed at lower schools will also have the opportunity to move upward. I strongly doubt we will ever see a top kid who is successful at a top school, getting all the playing time he wants, etc., moving to a lesser school.

It reminds me of a conversation I heard between the top guys at two competing organizations. Steve was humble bragging about a new addition he had taken from Jim’s organization. Jim replied I’d like to think anyone who leaves us to go to you increases the average IQ of both organizations.

I think its a wash.

Top kids will transfer in to top schools and displace players. Late bloomers and kids with personality conflicts at their current schools will transfer to whoever will give them the best opportunity to play.

The only schools that will lose are the ones who don't participate.

Reaction Score

the numbers in post 9,058 don't really bear that out. Someone riding the pine at Alabama can certainly go to a lesser program and be a star. Guys who are playing great at a lesser program, I am not so sure so many of them are going to transfer to Alabama where they could risk being relegated to bench duty. Alabama can only have so many starters and needs ditch diggers too.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
the numbers in post 9,058 don't really bear that out. Someone riding the pine at Alabama can certainly go to a lesser program and be a star. Guys who are playing great at a lesser program, I am not so sure so many of them are going to transfer to Alabama where they could risk being relegated to bench duty. Alabama can only have so many starters and needs ditch diggers too.
Yeah, I’m not sure that that is the conclusion that should be drawn from those numbers. They are entirely consistent with the wheat being separated from the chaff at top programs. I suppose as we get more history it will become more clear.

(Lol, that we are closing in on 10,000 key tweet posts.)

Reaction Score
There are tons of examples of transfers who left top programs and went on to star at other programs. This past year, Cincy’s top RB, Jerome Ford, was a transfer from Alabama and drafted in the 5th round. And, what about Justin Fields (Georgia to Ohio St.) 1st round pick, Jalen Hurts (Alabama to Oklahoma) 2nd round pick, Wandale Robinson (Nebraska to Kentucky) 2nd round pick, Malik Willis (Auburn to Liberty) 3rd round, Joe Flacco ( Pitt to Delaware) 1st round, Josh McCown (SMU to Sam Houston St.) 3rd round.

As for teams, #4 Cincy had 7 P5 transfers on the roster this year, #16 Louisiana had 9 P5 transfers, #17 Houston had 14 P5 transfers, #24 Utah St. had 10 P5 transfers, #25 San Diego St. had 5 P5 transfers. SMU had 18 P5 transfers. The transfer portal has become a huge opportunity for schools to upgrade their talent. UConn under Edsall was just slow to adjust to the changing landscape.
Yeah.....well, we're talking past each other on this. I don't see how the current system as it develops doesn't foster a further concentration of the best talent at the top programs.

I agree that second tier programs that are proactive will be able to improve their position relative to the rest of the second tier, but that has never been the point I was trying to make.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah.....well, we're talking past each other on this. I don't see how the current system as it develops doesn't foster a further concentration of the best talent at the top programs.

I agree that second tier programs that are proactive will be able to improve their position relative to the rest of the second tier, but that has never been the point I was trying to make.
I'll leave you with one final point. I believe the top talent is already concentrated at the top of the P5. In the 2021 HS recruiting class, 69 out of the top 100 recruits went to 7 schools: Alabama, Ohio St., LSU, Georgia, USC, Oregon, and Florida. Of the Top 500 2021 recruits, 6 went to a G5 school or 1.2%. Of the 7 P5 schools, they had a combined 3 G5 transfers on their rosters in 2021. I believe the top schools will continue to dominate high level high school recruiting and at the margin take on transfers and those transfers will probably be from other P5 schools. I don't think NIL will change what is going on as the top schools will participate to maintain their position in college football.

Reaction Score
The portal is both good and bad depending on your perspective at the time. Let's take Pitt for example. A few months ago Kedon Slovis fell into their lap. The Portal is great. Flash forward and USC Boosters are flat out trying to buy Jordan Addison off of their roster. The Portal is the worst thing ever. LOL. Overall I think there is more benefit to G5 and lower Tier P5 Programs as there are more players than ever in the Portal that could potentially fill a hole on a roster with a college ready player. Fans will need to come to grips with cheering for the names on the front of the uniform not the back. If these teams get a breakout star, there's a good chance that someone higher up the food chain will lure them away with an NIL Deal. This sucks but it is what it is when the organization tasked with enforcing rules in college athletics decides to punt on the issue altogether.

Reaction Score
Don't really see how this impacts parity in college basketball.

I could affect other sports than football..

...want to be good in baseball ? Put everyone on a full scholly. Not 11.7 scholarships spread amongst as many as 27 players...more $$$ to be competitive. Unlimited players, unlimited schollies if it comes to pass.

Soccer..men's capped at 9 currently...got money? Pay for 25.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I could affect other sports than football..

...want to be good in baseball ? Put everyone on a full scholly. Not 11.7 scholarships spread amongst as many as 27 players...more $$$ to be competitive. Unlimited players, unlimited schollies if it comes to pass.

Soccer..men's capped at 9 currently...got money? Pay for 25.
Keep in mind the Title IX implications so whatever additional $$$ you were expecting to spend to be competitive; double it.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind the Title IX implications so whatever additional $$$ you were expecting to spend to be competitive; double it.

Only the Big Ten and SEC could afford to pull it off.

Reaction Score
Money really does matter. Look at Rutgers. They are having their best year in school history across all sports. Their second best year across all sports? Last year.
You guys hit the jackpot for sure!

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
UConn will get in on this. Even if it means cutting another men's sport to add the full complement of scholarships for hockey, baseball, and soccer.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
UConn will get in on this. Even if it means cutting another men's sport to add the full complement of scholarships for hockey, baseball, and soccer.
Oh no, that means our "budget shortfall" will increase. Oh the humanity.

Reaction Score
This is part of a longer thread that talks about a lot of things NCAA related but if you are someone that wants UConn in the ACC, I think a couple spots will be opening up down the road. Too lazy to post rest of thread but it's all very interesting.

Reaction Score
Don't really see how this impacts parity in college basketball.
The unlimited number of coaches applies to all sports not just football

What happens when Duke, Kentucky & Kansas start hiring mothers/fathers/guardians as coaches?

Yes it's been done plenty before with Danny Mannings father & Jimmy Salmons taking Tim Thomas to Nova but, with unlimited coaches it's another way for the big money schools to funnel cash to kids and their families.

What's to stop Squid from hiring the parents of all the top 10 kids as coaches?

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What's to stop Squid from hiring the parents of all the top 10 kids as coaches?
Everything old is new again. That's how the local LL champs kept their "Dynasty" going back in the day.

Reaction Score
What do you think happens to Florida State, Clemson and Miami when the ACC GOR winds down? Does the SEC go after them to lockdown the southeast football powers? Does the B1G go after them to establish a media presence in the southeast and have more traditional football powers to keep up with the SEC? Will AAU membership still matter to the B1G in the race with the SEC?

Reaction Score
From ND AD Jack Swarbrick - "We're getting to a two solar system model here. You have two suns with all the gravitational pull -- the Big Ten and the SEC. People are going to have to figure out how to align with one or the other.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom