Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 346 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Whatever seems like decent justification for destroying the competitive balance of two former major conferences (Clemson's recent football success not withstanding), $25 million payouts do not exist because of Women's Cross Country, LAX, and/or Soccer of either gender.

True...because those sports are the remnants of the college student athlete systems that prevailed 50 or so years ago.

Reaction Score
We have been responsible for this mess....

We have watched live sports in such masses as to make them the most valuable commodity for a media network.

You get that which you reward.

Reaction Score
We have been responsible for this mess....

We have watched live sports in such masses as to make them the most valuable commodity for a media network.

You get that which you reward.

Well, speaking for myself I watch a lot less of college sports than I used to.

Watching the NFL Development league holds a lot less appeal to me than watching the NFL. There was a time when I watched all of my football on Saturdays. Once the writing was on the wall as to where this was all headed my behavior switched. I didn't see NIL coming like it did, but now that it's here it will accelerate very fast (already is I'm sure). Top recruits will be swept up by programs that have the best systems in place to pay them and kids that slip through the cracks as high school recruits will then be incented to move to the highest bidder. I don't begrudge the kids getting paid, but the whole thing has lost its appeal to me.

At the worst end of this will be kids who will be taken advantage of by agents and hangers on if good programs are not put in place to protect them. I seriously doubt if the athletic departments, NCAA, conferences or networks give a rats about that.

Reaction Score
I like watching women's softball...men and women's soccer, lacrosse....but swimming, track, etc bore me beyond my endurance.

Reaction Score
"Casual."

I get the humor in that, but to be serious for a moment, I was probably a very knowledgeable college sports fan, I don't know, maybe +90 percentile? My guess is that folks like me who aren't SEC or BiG alumni are the ones most disillusioned.

I just keep on coming back to a football playoff where just about everyone on the field is making some serious coin and the rest of the bowls are just about meaningless because the best players won't want to play for risk of injury. It's just a much different beast.

I don't think basketball is out of the woods on this either. It may be more manageable for programs like UCONN to develop NIL programs in hoops given our hoops legacy and the fact that there are just fewer kids in the program than for football. But, I certainly don't think that's a given. I can see top basketball recruits getting huge money - xseven figures. If you can't build a system to support that how do you compete?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I get the humor in that, but to be serious for a moment, I was probably a very knowledgeable college sports fan, I don't know, maybe +90 percentile? My guess is that folks like me who aren't SEC or BiG alumni are the ones most disillusioned.

I just keep on coming back to a football playoff where just about everyone on the field is making some serious coin and the rest of the bowls are just about meaningless because the best players won't want to play for risk of injury. It's just a much different beast.

I don't think basketball is out of the woods on this either. It may be more manageable for programs like UCONN to develop NIL programs in hoops given our hoops legacy and the fact that there are just fewer kids in the program than for football. But, I certainly don't think that's a given. I can see top basketball recruits getting huge money - xseven figures. If you can't build a system to support that how do you compete?
It was only supposed to be moderately humorous and I 100% understand the point.

I also think there are many in the same boat as you. At this point, I really only watch UConn events and only because I am emotionally attached to the school. OTOH, More often than not, I watch off a recording. I still have football season tickets because it is an all-day event with my friends, but on bye weeks and for away games, I can mow the lawn or something during the first half and catch up by fast forwarding over commercials and between plays by the final "gun."

Bowl season used to be the Most Wonderful Week of the Year and it was glorious to nurse a hangover on New Years Day, given a decent game was on from about 10;30am until the end of the Sugar Bowl. Today, I realistically couldn't care much less. I don't remember a single play from the National Championship game.

Part of it is having familial obligations, but I attribute a good part of my apathy to conference realignment and professionalization of college sports. It's why AAA baseball, the G-League, AHL, or MLS don't get the coverage as MLB, NBA, NHL, and Barclays. Once the veil of amateurism is completely pierced through, I'd rather invest my scarcest resource (time) in watching the best.

In relation to NIL, I think the money will slow down in football. 5* freshmen and the true developing stars (particularly quarterbacks) may be able to back up the Brinks truck, but the run of the mill middle linebacker won't because they aren't as recognizable due to the helmets. For instance, I know Khalil Mack was a world beater at UB, but because he didn't play for a team I follow (UConn and Michigan), I wouldn't have (and still can't) been able to pick him out of a line up.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

For what it’s worth, UConn’s sophomore phenom Paige Bueckers is making just under $1 million a year right now from NIL. One good thing is it probably creates a disincentive (or at least reduces the incentive) for top female basketball players to leave for the WNBA where their salary is 10 cents on dollar of their NIL earnings.

Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, UConn’s sophomore phenom Paige Bueckers is making just under $1 million a year right now from NIL. One good thing is it probably creates a disincentive (or at least reduces the incentive) for top female basketball players to leave for the WNBA where their salary is 10 cents on dollar of their NIL earnings.
I would have to believe that all of her NIL/marketing deals could travel with her to the WNBA

CL82

Reaction Score
I would have to believe that all of her NIL/marketing deals could travel with her to the WNBA
Probably, but what is she going to make in the WNBA? $100k give our take? That’s 10% of her current earnings. Might not move the needle.

Reaction Score
$1 million ?

Jeez...let's moan about the ruination of college sports.....student athletes playing alongside folks being paid $1,000,000

Quinn Ewers skipped his high school senior year to play QB at Ohio State..$1.4 million before he stepped on campus.

This isn't Kansas anymore.

Reaction Score
$1 million ?

Jeez...let's moan about the ruination of college sports.....student athletes playing alongside folks being paid $1,000,000

Quinn Ewers skipped his high school senior year to play QB at Ohio State..$1.4 million before he stepped on campus.

This isn't Kansas anymore.

I don’t think anyone is bemoaning the ruination of college sports or begrudging the kids getting paid. But, for some of us who believe that NIL will have a fundamental impact on college athletics, it’s just not as appealing an entertainment product.

Do I think the schools and NCAA showed great foresight and leadership through all this? No.

Reaction Score
I think that we celebrate our own...

If Paige gets a million..great!

If a QB at Bama gets a million...well, that's what's wrong with the system.

Now, saying that, I am not a women's basketball watcher...maybe it is a matter of what is important to you. I have always found it interesting that there are double the posts on the Yard about women's basketball than football. A different perspective.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I have always found it interesting that there are double the posts on the Yard about women's basketball than football. A different perspective.

How many national championships do the Women's basketball team have in the last decade?

How many wins does the football team have in the same time frame?

Perspective explained.

Reaction Score
Maybe....but I think that there is just a basketball first culture...and that having the country's premier team does play.

UNC has won 22 National Championships in Women's Soccer....and six in Men's basketball...but Women's Soccer has little echo while Men's basketball is the top sport.

Reaction Score
Maybe....but I think that there is just a basketball first culture...and that having the country's premier team does play.

UNC has won 22 National Championships in Women's Soccer....and six in Men's basketball...but Women's Soccer has little echo while Men's basketball is the top sport.
Nobody cares about soccer.

Reaction Score
I think that we celebrate our own...

If Paige gets a million..great!

If a QB at Bama gets a million...well, that's what's wrong with the system.

Now, saying that, I am not a women's basketball watcher...maybe it is a matter of what is important to you. I have always found it interesting that there are double the posts on the Yard about women's basketball than football. A different perspective.

I really think you’re missing the point.

I and I think many others view the change through the eyes of fans who enjoy college athletics, not our particular allegiance. It’s the same system that’s paying a woman’s hoop star and the Bama QB.

Reaction Score
Yes...but my point is that your enthusiasm is a lot less dampened if you are an Aggie fan celebrating a historic recruiting class....

Or a Bama fan chuckling while Saban goes on TV broadcasting to recruits that his QB is a millionaire before taking his first college snap.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
This is likely money (or some of it) which has been given out illegally for years.

I’m sure if you’re a booster with a business, this becomes an easy way to funnel money to a team. I can’t remember who the team was, although I think it might’ve been the gators had some booster with a car dealership offered to pay every kid on the team $5000.

I do think a lot of NIL is new money. The money that’s going to Paige Bueckers, Azzi Fudd, etc. isn’t booster money. It is legitimate companies recognizing the value of their followers in social media.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I was thinking the opposite. The southern conference needs to keep the tournament in its home state where its best programs are. NYC isn't a short drive for any of those schools, never mind Duke and UNC. NYC makes no sense. Maybe the ACC will shoot for Philly, Houston and LA next.

View attachment 74245
I don't know about that. I can understand the ambition of wanting to break into NYC. The thing is a place the size of Barclays was an obvious mistake. Cardinal Hayes HS in the Bronx has a 2,800 seat gym. If they play the tournament there they won't have as many empty seats.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Christyn Williams has a deal. I did some research. Volleyball, soccer, track, gymnastics, all cashing in.

Olivia Dunne - "The LSU gymnast is predicted to reach $1 million in NIL deals even after just finishing her freshman year."

CL82

Reaction Score
I wonder if Christyn Williams has a deal. I did some research. Volleyball, soccer, track, gymnastics, all cashing in.

Olivia Dunne - "The LSU gymnast is predicted to reach $1 million in NIL deals even after just finishing her freshman year."

She does, I don’t remember what it is, but I do remember that she got at least one.

Reaction Score
I don't know about that. I can understand the ambition of wanting to break into NYC. The thing is a place the size of Barclays was an obvious mistake. Cardinal Hayes HS in the Bronx has a 2,800 seat gym. If they play the tournament there they won't have as many empty seats.

The last (2018) tournament at Barclay's...

"With most of the tickets pre-sold at the various campuses, attendance at the games has lived up to expectations. A crowd of 18,157 witnessed the Tar Heels 74-69 victory over Duke on Friday night. It was the largest crowd ever to witness a college basketball game at Barclays Center."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom