Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 329 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Here's the thing about that last comment...
If the playoffs expand and the G5 get a slot, it is essentially a guarantee for the AAC, especially with Boise and BYU.

Does that not open the door for the AAC to reach out to Boise and BYU?

If that's the status quo moving forward, this league now with Boise and BYU and a 90% guarantee to get to the playoffs by winning the conference title every year, I'm pretty pumped. That would certainly boost recruiting...

Um .
In which conference would Boise have a better shot at going undefeated — the MW or the AAC?

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Um .
In which conference would Boise have a better shot at going undefeated — the MW or the AAC?

Hard to say. Utah State has the best QB in college football in Jordan Love (including Tua) and Boise plays them on the road. Not sure if any AAC team will be as good as the Aggies will be.

Reaction Score
Hard to say. Utah State has the best QB in college football in Jordan Love (including Tua) and Boise plays them on the road. Not sure if any AAC team will be as good as the Aggies will be.

The argument seemed to be that Boise would want to join the AAC bc it's stronger. Why on earth would they do that?

Reaction Score
Um .
Um... You're premise that Boise joined the MW for competition is simply wrong. It joined for $'s.
It's always about money.
An AAC with Boise and BYU is far and away the 6th and maybe the 5th best league. With essentially an auto bid 9 out of 10 years, what differentiates that revised AAC with the weakest P5 league? Not much.
Is it much of a stretch to think such a conference would command more $'s if it existed?

That was my point.

Reaction Score
An AAC with Boise and BYU is far and away the 6th and maybe the 5th best league. With essentially an auto bid 9 out of 10 years,

Again: a strong G5 conference will likely lead to conference losses. An undefeated Boise team, even from a weaker conference, would probably get chosen over a 1-loss AAC team. So what exactly is the incentive for them to leave the MW?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Again: a strong G5 conference will likely lead to conference losses. An undefeated Boise team, even from a weaker conference, would probably get chosen over a 1-loss AAC team. So what exactly is the incentive for them to leave the MW?

Money.

Have you been paying any attention to anything that's gone on so far?

This is about money, not wins.

Reaction Score
It was my premise that an AAC with Boise and BYU would lead to more money because a leage with those two plus Houston, Memphis, Cincy, and UCF would get in the national conversation and maybe get several teams in the Top 25 and even 1 in Top 10. It would also have more 'meaningful' games which is what Networks want to pay for.

EVERY single move so far in college football has been about money and getting more of it today, tomorrow, and as far into the future as possible. I am not aware of a single move where the school put as the top priority, a chance to go undefeated. If that were the case UofL would not have gone to ACC, Maryland and Rutgers would not have gone to Big and W Virginia would still be in the ACC.

If everything else held, sure, why would Boise move? But that's not my point.

So, to answer your question, even though you continue to ignore my point, The EXACT INCENTIVE for Boise would be the following:

a. More Money
b. More Money
c. More Money
d. More Money
e. Better Conference

Reaction Score
Yes it's about money.
But your initial argument seemed to be "the AAC is getting pretty good. Boise & BYU will want to join."

You left out your presumption that the AAC is bound for significantly more money such that Boise will want to move. That's debateable.

Reaction Score
Yes it's about money.
But your initial argument seemed to be "the AAC is getting pretty good. Boise & BYU will want to join."

You left out your presumption that the AAC is bound for significantly more money such that Boise will want to move. That's debateable.
Exactly. The cartel will not allow it

Reaction Score
The only way to crack the code is for the Big 12 to expand in complete secrecy, destroy the AAC in the middle of the night and then negotiate with ESPN. Now that they signed a deal, that may not be feasible.

ESPN will not be encouraging expansion anymore. They have the AAC doing very well for peanuts, they’ve devalued the Big 12 and they have OU and UT right where they want them. The Big 12 presidents really blew it a couple of years ago.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
The only way to crack the code is for the Big 12 to expand in complete secrecy, destroy the AAC in the middle of the night and then negotiate with ESPN. Now that they signed a deal, that may not be feasible.

ESPN will not be encouraging expansion anymore. They have the AAC doing very well for peanuts, they’ve devalued the Big 12 and they have OU and UT right where they want them. The Big 12 presidents really blew it a couple of years ago.

Agreed with all of this, except Texas. ESPN is overpaying them until 2031, unless something goes completely insane.

OU may very well end up being the linchpin for the next round of CR - 2022 will be a turning point, given the probable end of their T3 arrangement outside the B12.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Agreed with all of this, except Texas. ESPN is overpaying them until 2031, unless something goes completely insane.

OU may very well end up being the linchpin for the next round of CR - 2022 will be a turning point, given the probable end of their T3 arrangement outside the B12.

Send this post to Edsall & Benedict. They need the schedule for getting the football team respectable again.
(Yes, I know it's about money, but a winning football program wouldn't hurt.)

Reaction Score
It's been a topic on and off these days. And coming from a Nebraska perspective I thought was noteworthy.

This looks more key, though:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The new deal will have CBS Sports picking up 20 regular-season games each year, with at least two for each of the 10 schools. Up to four games annually will air on CBS’ broadcast network, with the remainder on CBS Sports Network. In the CBS release, officials from the network and the conference emphasized the continuation of their long-running partnership (which dates back to the old Big East):

Reaction Score
Would you rather have your games on FS2 or CBSSN? That's what this amounts to.

Personally, I'd rather my games be on FS2 if only because they are more accessible for streaming. CBS remains the most restrictive network when it comes to content.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom