Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 326 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Not happening...

"There's been no talk about a format change in the meetings of the commissioners and the presidents who manage the CFP," Hancock told ESPN. "This was the kind of debate we wanted when we created the playoff. We wanted diverse opinions, we wanted people who wouldn't hesitate to state their feelings, and man, we got it."

Reaction Score
If an team playoff were to happen and the G5 team were to get a guaranteed spot, I like uconn's position.
Winning the AAC has proven to be, in most years, what is necessary to secure that g5 spot.

This type of decision ahead of the AAC talks only means that somehow it will blow up and somehow destroy the AAC and ultimately Uconn. Right now, the AAC has essentially proven it's top team can play with the best. It only took a couple years for an AAC team to threaten the CFP. Had Houston gone undefeated that year, no way they could have held them out. UCF, for all its success just didn't have the strength of schedule. For P5, that's still probably too close for comfort.

IF the CFP goes to 8 before the AAC contract is complete, that does create a huge opportunity for the AAC to add Boise and BYU... The value of that contract would be well over what any of those schools currently gets. And the conference winner would be assured of the CFP spot in 8 or 9 out of every 10 years. That possibility would be worth signing a GOR for. The league would actually become a P6 and the other conferences would no longer be able to poach at will. They would cannibalize themselves first and when they do, that only bumps up the stock of the AAC more.

The fact that something like that is a possibility means the powers that be see it too. Therefore, to my earlier point, this will blow up magnificently and the AAC and Uconn will be kicked in the jimmy.

Reaction Score
The AAC has been better than the Pac 12. I don't think there is any debate about that.

Reaction Score

This is potentially a HUGE deal.

FOX, which owns the rights to the B12, has basically told the conference that they would rather air Big East basketball than a Championship Game that could potentially be a Texas vs Oklahoma matchup.

This is about as clear as sign that no matter what the WV twitter yahoos say, the B12 is on the verge of a major shakeup. If the current network partner is unwilling to broadcast what should be a major money maker for both the network and the conference, what does that say about future negotiations?

While i'm still not convinced that OK is anything more than UT's plus one it will very interesting to see what these 2 schools say & do over the next few years as we get closer to the TV deals expiring.

Reaction Score
Interesting. Seems like another indicator that the conference media right bubble is about to burst.

And Fox Sports is a lot smaller than it was just a year ago with Fox Corp selling its entertainment arm to Disney and Comcast acquiring Sky Sports not to mention the impact of streaming on traditional broadcasters. They simply may not have the piles of cash that the XII and others conferences expect and want going forward.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
And Fox Sports is a lot smaller than it was just a year ago with Fox Corp selling its entertainment arm to Disney and Comcast acquiring Sky Sports not to mention the impact of streaming on traditional broadcasters. They simply may not have the piles of cash that the XII and others conferences expect and want going forward.
Maybe, but if the game was a profitable property, they likely wouldn't give it up.

Reaction Score
FOX, which owns the rights to the B12, has basically told the conference that they would rather air Big East basketball than a Championship Game that could potentially be a Texas vs Oklahoma matchup, AT CURRENT PRICES

You left out an important phrase.
If the B12 rights were $10M, or possibly $15M, instead of $20M, this would not have happened.

Reaction Score
Fox has minimal ties to the B12, unlike their ties to the B10, showing only a few football games per year and the B12 football championship every other year. Deciding not to pay $20 million to broadcast the B12 football championship every other year is probably an easy decision as you are not really a significant partner with the B12 and you know the advertising numbers.

What is most surprising about this announcement is that Fox can walk away from the championship game. This tells us that we really don't know all of the details of the conference media deals and we could see more surprises down the road.

Reaction Score
You left out an important phrase.
If the B12 rights were $10M, or possibly $15M, instead of $20M, this would not have happened.

But, wouldn't their TV PARTNER come to them and say "$20MM is out of our reach but we still want the game so let's make a deal"?

That's not what happened here. IMO, the biggest thing here is not that the B12 Championship game isn't worth $20MM. The BIG deal is that the B12 conference TV partner told them to pound sand and walked away and doesn't care who (if anyone) broadcasts the game. This after paying however hundreds of million to broadcast the entire regular season.

If I was the B12 I wouldn't be expecting FOX to be a major player in the next round of contract negotiations

Reaction Score
But, wouldn't their TV PARTNER come to them and say "$20MM is out of our reach but we still want the game so let's make a deal"?

How do you know they didn't discuss but couldnt reach a deal?

Reaction Score
How do you know they didn't discuss but couldnt reach a deal?

They certainly could have but, if the number isn't $20MM what is it?

$15MM, $10MM? Either way it's a few million dollars to FOX which spends billions on broadcast rights.

My belief is that if FOX really wanted the game they would've made a deal.

Reaction Score

That's not what happened here. IMO, the biggest thing here is not that the B12 Championship game isn't worth $20MM. The BIG deal is that the B12 conference TV partner told them to pound sand and walked away and doesn't care who (if anyone) broadcasts the game. This after paying however hundreds of million to broadcast the entire regular season.

If I was the B12 I wouldn't be expecting FOX to be a major player in the next round of contract negotiations

The money they are saving will be used for their pending AAC bid

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
FOX just ceding away basically all of Big XII basketball to ESPN as part of this current deal was some really brilliant negotiating on their part.

Hey, at least they have more room for Creighton-DePaul!

If FOX thinks the Big XII football game is a bad ROI, just wait until they do an analysis of that Big East deal.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is potentially a HUGE deal.

FOX, which owns the rights to the B12, has basically told the conference that they would rather air Big East basketball than a Championship Game that could potentially be a Texas vs Oklahoma matchup.

This is about as clear as sign that no matter what the WV twitter yahoos say, the B12 is on the verge of a major shakeup. If the current network partner is unwilling to broadcast what should be a major money maker for both the network and the conference, what does that say about future negotiations?

While i'm still not convinced that OK is anything more than UT's plus one it will very interesting to see what these 2 schools say & do over the next few years as we get closer to the TV deals expiring.

My reaction was wow... the bubble
may have finally burst.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They certainly could have but, if the number isn't $20MM what is it?

$15MM, $10MM? Either way it's a few million dollars to FOX which spends billions on broadcast rights.

My belief is that if FOX really wanted the game they would've made a deal.

Network Fox is essentially live sports and some cartoons. It’s really out of character for them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom