Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 267 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
I believe Joseph Smith dug up the golden tablets (which he wouldn't allow anyone to actually see) in upstate NY. I read about the religion's origin story because it was fascinating how people can have faith in most anything. I feel the same way about all religions, but not many have a contemporaneous history that we can trust.

I thought "The Life of Pi" explained religion best: "which story do you prefer?"

Reaction Score
I believe Joseph Smith dug up the golden tablets (which he wouldn't allow anyone to actually see) in upstate NY. I read about the religion's origin story because it was fascinating how people can have faith in most anything. I feel the same way about all religions, but not many have a contemporaneous history that we can trust.
I learned all about the history of LDS from a South Park episode. Except for them working in "Dumb... dumb... dumb... dumb" after almost every fact it seemed pretty accurate. Between that and "Hamilton" I find that I remember history better when it is delivered as a cartoon or song.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm not interesting in taking shots at LDS, as Mormons are among the nicest people I've ever met.

BYU is a bit arrogant about this process, I think, because they buy into the false narrative that it is "all about football". If it was, it would be BYU and Cinci and this thing is done. As the Big 12 itself has told us, over an over, there are many factors, including academics, other sports performance, markets, etc. They did not list "geography". So the homers at Memphis who think that geography overcomes their clear flaws are of course, butt-hurt.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
I'm not interesting in taking shots at LDS, as Mormons are among the nicest people I've ever met.

BYU is a bit arrogant about this process, I think, because they buy into the false narrative that it is "all about football". If it was, it would be BYU and Cinci and this thing is done. As the Big 12 itself has told us, over an over, there are many factors, including academics, other sports performance, markets, etc. They did not list "geography". So the homers at Memphis who think that geography overcomes their clear flaws are of course, butt-hurt.

You are right Mormons are very nice people, if not a tad delusional over BYU's college athletics footprint.

My pot shot at the LDS comes from my larger views on the subject of religion which are not appropriate for this forum.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

I'm still struggling with the idea of Cincy as some kind of football juggernaut. Better than average, sure. It's not TCU or WVU.

Reaction Score

If one drinks enough Genny Cream Ale, one can believe that he/she could find anything in upstate NY.

Reaction Score
Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26 · 10m10 minutes ago  Arlington, TX
Can confirm ESPN report that @RiceUniversity is one of the schools still being considered as @Big12Conference works thru expansion process.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm still struggling with the idea of Cincy as some kind of football juggernaut. Better than average, sure. It's not TCU or WVU.

No. It's not WVU or the TCU of the last 20 years of so. But since 2007 it has the 16th best winning percentage, tied with BYU. They played in (and lost) two BCS bowls and finished ranked 4 times. That's more than any other contender for the B12 can say. Houston might be better if you went all the way back to the SWC, and is probably next best.

Reaction Score
What do you mean the Big 12 is making this a clown show?

*Cuts Boise State, keeps Rice.

LOL - Mandel's posts from last night? No mention of Memphis? Does make ya go hmmm about the academic profile play (not convinced @ all but still a working narrative in some circles).

To be clear - I'm not saying Rice checks other boxes for serious consideration. Does Big12 really want another private school?

Reaction Score
Rice Football: because when you can grab the 8th best program in Texas, you gotta do it.

Reaction Score
I'd rather have Rice than Houston if the Big 12 is so determined to add another freaking Texas team.

You have to remember, this is now a league with less AAU schools (or that type of school) than even the cheatin' SEC now. Not only do we have the smallest footprint and smallest population base - the perception problem should extend to academia. The old Big 12 was right with the PAC and ACC in terms of AAU % with Colorado, Iowa State, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Texas, Texas A&M. With the Big Ten of course at 11 for 11. Still, 7 out of 12 was a good number - with Baylor operating a very well-regarded private religious school and Oklahoma one of the better non-AAU schools out there.

Now we have 3 out of 10. Granted, TCU - like Baylor, is a really good private school. But it's not a great look. I do think it is pretty clear academics DO matter to the Big 12 right now and that this perception is factoring in. Boise State and ECU are complete football schools. ECU averages 40,000 in bad years and can fill a 50,000 stadium regularly. Boise State has had consistent, high % football attendance for over a decade and are adding to their stadium. Yet they are gone and Rice and Tulane remain. I think (hope) that says something.

Now - I don't think Rice or Tulane will make the final cut. Ultimately they and their athletic departments are too small. But I get why they are here. I think the likes of Memphis and UCF are going to get cut next - they just don't make the "grade". And if the academics do matter more than the average football fan or talking head thinks, that is good news for UConn. You Huskies should be pleased if reading the tea leaves in the first round of cuts proves anything.

I'm not going to say this whole thing hasn't been perceived as or felt like a clown show - but frankly, cutting Boise and ECU before Tulane and Rice is one of the more sane actions of this process thus far.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
What do you mean the Big 12 is making this a clown show?

*Cuts Boise State, keeps Rice.

No way. If anything, they sent a clear message: books matter. AFA, SMU, Rice, Tulane all on the list. All the community colleges (Houston being the exception) have been dismissed. UNLV, ECU, Boise, SDSU, Northern Illinois, Arkansas St, etc had their bags packed. The next cut will probably be markets. And for all those who don't have a chair when the music stops for that round (Rice, AFA, SMU, Tulane) it'll be peace out, girl scout.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

BYU fans are arrogant about this because their athletic program looks like a Big 12 athletic program. It's a well-rounded athletic department and a very good school. But for the religious stuff, they'd probably already be in the PAC.

Reaction Score
Not really "Key" - but a fun read: Nice job by @frankthetank
Big 12 Expansion Edition of The Bachelor: First Rose Ceremony Elimination
cbcf2cba4af130a7fdbbf7a16a5b219a1efefb37.jpg

Reaction Score
Frank's blog post linked above also makes a good point that Tulane and Rice are both academically superior to nearly all of the Big 12 schools so the president's inclusion of them could be more of a lip service thing were one of them to be considered for a position at those schools. But it's fairly clear that Rice, Tulane, and SMU have absolutely zero chance at being selected.

The blog also makes the point with respect to academics that it won't be much of a player in inclusion, but piss poor academics could be an excluding factor, as we may have seen if Memphis is indeed left out as of now.

Sounds reasonable. I happen to think Frank has some of the more sober thoughts and analysis on the whole expansion topic.

Reaction Score
So, UConn fans - tell me about Temple as a conference mate and as a potential Big 12 invitee should Fox encourage the Big 12 to make a strong play at the Northeast.

Here's what I know as a KU fan. Incredibly tough hoops team to play especially at their place. Football had a good year but usually pretty and minus Notre Dame and Penn State fans packing out the stadium, they don't draw worth a crap. Solid-sized school with good enrollment numbers and decent enough academics. Used to be a P5 Big East member but got kicked out for being terrible at football.

Is there any logic in the Big 12 looking at both UConn and Temple as a duo? Or can Temple not hack it?

Reaction Score
So, UConn fans - tell me about Temple as a conference mate and as a potential Big 12 invitee should Fox encourage the Big 12 to make a strong play at the Northeast.

Here's what I know as a KU fan. Incredibly tough hoops team to play especially at their place. Football had a good year but usually pretty and minus Notre Dame and Penn State fans packing out the stadium, they don't draw worth a crap. Solid-sized school with good enrollment numbers and decent enough academics. Used to be a P5 Big East member but got kicked out for being terrible at football.

Is there any logic in the Big 12 looking at both UConn and Temple as a duo? Or can Temple not hack it?
Temple has a small and pigeon-holed fanbase. They have a good but not spectacular basketball program and weak at best support in football. While they've improved in football in the last 10 years, that improvement was from a position as one of the four or five worst FBS programs in the country. It's a large public city school with a relatively large alumni base, but that hasn't parlayed into large football crowds or even consistently enormous basketball crowds. The main problem is there are so many colleges in Philly with athletic programs that it splits the city's attention. Especially with Villanova rising to such prominence in basketball of late, it's hard for Temple to corner any kind of stranglehold on the attention of the city's media or casual fan. That plus Philly being heavily dominated by pro sports makes them waaaaay down on the totem pole in their own city, much less their own state - which is already dominated by PSU.

They could be a contender down the road if they were to actually build the program into a consistent player on the national scene and proved that people in the city care about them, but at this point they're nowhere near being ready. Taking them would be a highly speculative move by the Big 12.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom