Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 236 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Big 12 still contacted UConn according to Blauds, so this isnt a big deal. What is a big deal is if the Big 12 only expands by 2, which looks likely.

I don't think it's a big deal either.

It makes sense - if they are asking for video presentations from 17 schools, it makes sense that this is the first point of contact for schools. I would not expect campus visits anywhere until the 17 is winnowed down to four to six schools.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't think it's a big deal either.

It makes sense - if they are asking for video presentations from 17 schools, it makes sense that this is the first point of contact for schools. I would not expect campus visits anywhere until the 17 is winnowed down to four to six schools.
Except that some have already happened.

Reaction Score
Guerin Emig ‏@GuerinEmig · 12h12 hours ago
Humored by #Big12Expansion, humbled by a West Virginia injury and sickened by Hope Solo. It was quite a week.
Guerin-teed it was quite a week: Humored by Big 12 expansion, humbled by a West Virginia injury and sickened by Hope Solo

This is from the article:

Visit Lawrence on a fall Saturday. Grab a bite downtown on Massachusetts Street. Stroll the prettiest campus in the Big 12 Conference. Drop by Allen Fieldhouse and see if Bill Self left the door unlocked. It can be an exhilarating day.

Just know that if you use your football tickets and spend three hours inside Kansas’ half-empty stadium, you’re liable to require a joy transplant.

Kansas’ average attendance last year was 27,282. The next-worst figure in the Big 12 was Baylor’s 46,190. That gulf, besides KU’s pitiful record since Mark Mangino left town, makes it pretty obvious that the Big 12 puts up with Jayhawks football solely because of Jayhawks basketball.

KU football besmirches the conference. There’s no other way to say it.

Remember that attendance figure. Assuming you have been to KU’s Memorial Stadium the past seven years, remember how depressing that feels compared to going literally anywhere else in the league for a game.

What I’m about to show you are 2015 average attendance figures from several of the 18 schools reportedly interviewing to join the Big 12 (a salute to ESPN.com’s Brett McMurphy for the scoop)...

South Florida: 26,578

Air Force: 26,026

Colorado State: 24,917

New Mexico: 23,528

Arkansas State: 23,007

Tulane: 22,930

SMU: 21,043

Northern Illinois: 13,942

All worse than Kansas. Here’s more...

UCF: 30,065

San Diego State: 29,066

UConn: 28,224

All comparable to Kansas. And...

Cincinnati: 37,096

Houston: 33,980

Boise State: 33,612

Those last three programs could make the Big 12 better on the field — they’re certainly better than Kansas — but the attendance figures don’t add up. All three play in 37,000-40,000-seat stadiums, so it’s not like there’s room for major growth.

I am reminded of the classic Sesame Street tune “One of These Things Is Not Like the Others.” Change “one” to “18” and you’ve got the theme song for Big 12 expansion. You just have to laugh.

You just have to hope that Bob Bowlsby and his board of directors have an end game in mind that is more sensible than laughable, meaning one that involves expansion of a different kind (lawyers and TV execs working 24 hours a day to cut a Power 5 deal nobody knows about) or no expansion at all.

Would it be embarrassing to double back after pressing forward so publicly? Yes. But not as much as adding another four teams from a group being outdrawn by Texas high schools.

Guerin Emig
@GuerinEmig

Sports columnist for the Tulsa World.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

What a joke. Best fit the mold of a P5 school?

I don't know, something along the lines of having the biggest budget, making the most money, being a state flagship university and winning national titles in men's hoops would fit the mold for me, but what do I know?

Sure a city school like Houston, coming off a dream season in which they averaged similar football attendance to us and they play hoop in a high school gym, just screams P5.

Reaction Score

>>> No matter how it ends up looking, it’s not going to look as good as the schools that left the Big 12: Texas A&M, Nebraska, Missouri and Colorado. You have to wonder whether those schools would rather be in their current location or back in the Big 12. That’s a legitimate conversation, too.

How does this narrative keep popping up? In what world would any of these schools rather be back/come back to the Big 12?

Reaction Score
I didn't think the Sporting News was still around. Bill Bender has the mindset of someone who obviously belonged on the staff during the SN's heyday, about 1955.

Reaction Score
Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs · 3m3 minutes ago
Before you write, tweet, think, speculate about conf realignment next, you need to read this about future.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/15/t...-twitter-live-streams-its-ambitions.html?_r=1

Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs · 3m3 minutes ago
Told TWTR capitalization is up $1 bill today alone re live streaming news. Consuming sports changing in real time.
UConn fans need digital streaming to boom. No one knows what CR will look like 8-10 years from now but digital streaming will definitely play a role. Maybe I'm way out of line here but I see digital streaming benefitting us. The consumer wants to see brands. Maybe this leads to conferences being less vital to a school's revenue stream after current TV contracts run out with schools looking for more flexibility in how they dish out their media rights. Please, call me out if any of this sounds wild...I know very little about contracts and such. All I'm saying is, we should all be tuning into Thursday Night Football this fall on Twitter (you don't even need a Twitter account, I believe).

Reaction Score
In order despite time stamps:

David Glenn Show ‏@DavidGlennShow 10m 10 minutes ago
McMurphy: I think October is the most likely time that the Big 12 will make a decision on what they're going to do.

David Glenn Show ‏@DavidGlennShow 9m 9 minutes ago
McMurphy: It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize possibly 3/4 of the schools won't get in, but they're giving everyone a chance.

McMurphy: The latest I've been told is it's less and less likely the Big 12 will add 4 schools. It's likely to be 2 additions or none.

David Glenn Show ‏@DavidGlennShow 7m 7 minutes ago
McMurphy: I honestly have no idea who the Big 12 is going to pick for expansion.

McMurphy: Anyone that tells you they know who is going to get into the Big 12 is not truthful. The decision only involves 10 people.

David Glenn Show ‏@DavidGlennShow 6m 6 minutes ago
McMurphy: Anonymous polls of the coaches are led by BYU and Houston, but the coaches have no say in it.

McMurphy: The best way to describe it is to compare the Big 12 expansion to the selection of the At-large bids in the NCAA Tournament

David Glenn Show ‏@DavidGlennShow 5m 5 minutes ago
McMurphy: We don't know specifically what the Presidents value the most of geography, TV market, playing success, academics, history, etc.

McMurphy, on ECU's chances of being part of Big 12 expansion: Don't shoot the messenger, but it appears to be 3-horse race. (BYU, Cincy, UH)

David Glenn Show ‏@DavidGlennShow 8m 8 minutes ago
McMurphy, on ECU's chances in the Big 12: Don't shoot the messenger, but I haven't heard East Carolina much.

McMurphy: I haven't heard East Carolina much from the people who know the Presidents of the Universities that are making the decision.

McMurphy: What's disheartening for a lot of schools is this could be their last chance to move into a power league.

David Glenn Show ‏@DavidGlennShow 8m8 minutes ago
McMurphy: What the ECUs of the world should hope for is that the power conferences go to 16 teams each.

McMurphy: East Carolina has got to hope for a Power 5 conference to expand out to 16 if they want to get a bid.

McMurphy, on Big 12: People ask about when the decision will be made. Another question has to be, "Why are they talking to 18 schools?"

That's where it stops on site (for now).

Reaction Score
The longer it drags out, the more opportunity we have to perform notably on the field and in the stands and make our case that way. As for McMurphy saying likelihood is two or none, this has to be taken with a bit of a grain of salt as ESPN obviously has a major financial incentive for the B12 to take zero or two as opposed to four. Not that it won't happen that way, but it must be noted.

Reaction Score
In order despite time stamps:

David Glenn Show ‏@DavidGlennShow 10m 10 minutes ago
McMurphy: I think October is the most likely time that the Big 12 will make a decision on what they're going to do.

McMurphy: It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize possibly 3/4 of the schools won't get in, but they're giving everyone a chance.

McMurphy: The latest I've been told is it's less and less likely the Big 12 will add 4 schools. It's likely to be 2 additions or none.

McMurphy: I honestly have no idea who the Big 12 is going to pick for expansion.

McMurphy: Anyone that tells you they know who is going to get into the Big 12 is not truthful. The decision only involves 10 people.

McMurphy: Anonymous polls of the coaches are led by BYU and Houston, but the coaches have no say in it.

McMurphy: The best way to describe it is to compare the Big 12 expansion to the selection of the At-large bids in the NCAA Tournament

McMurphy: We don't know specifically what the Presidents value the most of geography, TV market, playing success, academics, history, etc.

McMurphy, on ECU's chances of being part of Big 12 expansion: Don't shoot the messenger, but it appears to be 3-horse race. (BYU, Cincy, UH)

McMurphy, on ECU's chances in the Big 12: Don't shoot the messenger, but I haven't heard East Carolina much.

McMurphy: I haven't heard East Carolina much from the people who know the Presidents of the Universities that are making the decision.

McMurphy: What's disheartening for a lot of schools is this could be their last chance to move into a power league.

David Glenn Show ‏@DavidGlennShow 8m8 minutes ago
McMurphy: What the ECUs of the world should hope for is that the power conferences go to 16 teams each.

McMurphy: East Carolina has got to hope for a Power 5 conference to expand out to 16 if they want to get a bid.

McMurphy, on Big 12: People ask about when the decision will be made. Another question has to be, "Why are they talking to 18 schools?"

That's where it stops on site (for now).

McMurphy must be on tour today. He literally called in to Sirius College Sports to get on with Childers and regurgitate the same take. I tweeted Childers to let him know how shocked I was he is promoting the same 2 team scenario that ESPN wants to save them significant money. What a coincidence!

Reaction Score
... And we're back to the number of recruits in the state narrative:

All 18 Big 12 expansion candidates seeded in the ultimate realignment bracket

>No. 3 Cincinnati vs. No. 6 Connecticut

It’s an old Big East grudge match, and the presidents are initially split. Cincy makes more sense geographically, but UConn somehow convinces them there are UConn football fans in New York City. Cincy comes back and reminds them there are far more recruits in the state of Ohio than the state of Connecticut.

Winner: Cincinnati<

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom