Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 170 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Dennis DoddVerified account
‏@dennisdoddcbs
Expansion still in play for badass B12.
Expansion still in play for the bold Big 12, and it could affect the Big Ten

The $1 billion non-decision: We know its television partners have to pay the Big 12 as much as $1 billion if it expands by as many as four teams. That's $1 billion ESPN and Fox theoretically won't have at the same time the Big Ten goes to market to finalize the second half of its deal. Fox is reportedly paying $1.5 billion to the Big Ten for the first half of those rights.

But ESPN/Fox has to pay the Big 12 in expansion if it comes to that. Theywant the rights to the Big Ten. See how the Big 12 could upset a lot of folks by cashing in?

"I'm aware of that," Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said, dryly. "It's probably not fair to say it's a zero-sum game, but it's not unrelated."

Oklahoma president David Boren said the discussion over adding teams was "ongoing." He continued: "There was no feeling we're going to slow our look at expansion."

ESPN wouldn't pass on the Big Ten because it had to pay the Big 12, would it?

One Big 12 official gave a "So what?" shrug to the prospect of upsetting its rightsholders. Wow. Before that moment, who would have thought the Big 12 could throw its weight around in a phone booth?

So as the Big 12 celebrated re-institution of its league title game Friday -- while the taste for expansion seemed somewhat diminished -- it also knew its influence and impact could grow.

"As a theory, that's true," Bowlsby added.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 20m20 minutes ago
LOL.... The Big 12 can hold expansion over the Big Ten & reduce the Big Ten's TV money!!!! LOL!!! Isn't that damn funny.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Dennis DoddVerified account
‏@dennisdoddcbs
Expansion still in play for badass B12.
Expansion still in play for the bold Big 12, and it could affect the Big Ten

The $1 billion non-decision: We know its television partners have to pay the Big 12 as much as $1 billion if it expands by as many as four teams. That's $1 billion ESPN and Fox theoretically won't have at the same time the Big Ten goes to market to finalize the second half of its deal. Fox is reportedly paying $1.5 billion to the Big Ten for the first half of those rights.

But ESPN/Fox has to pay the Big 12 in expansion if it comes to that. Theywant the rights to the Big Ten. See how the Big 12 could upset a lot of folks by cashing in?

"I'm aware of that," Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said, dryly. "It's probably not fair to say it's a zero-sum game, but it's not unrelated."

Oklahoma president David Boren said the discussion over adding teams was "ongoing." He continued: "There was no feeling we're going to slow our look at expansion."

ESPN wouldn't pass on the Big Ten because it had to pay the Big 12, would it?

One Big 12 official gave a "So what?" shrug to the prospect of upsetting its rightsholders. Wow. Before that moment, who would have thought the Big 12 could throw its weight around in a phone booth?

So as the Big 12 celebrated re-institution of its league title game Friday -- while the taste for expansion seemed somewhat diminished -- it also knew its influence and impact could grow.

"As a theory, that's true," Bowlsby added.

Yeah they don't care about upsetting their rights holders but they are passing on expansion. That totally adds up. They could just name 4 teams make them take a 50% haircut and collect 4 million year each for a decade.

I wonder why they don't do that?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
AT this point, I just want things to stay as is and move along. No expansion until all the GORs expire is fine with me. Gives us plenty of time to turn it around and be on an even field with other G5 schools. Will we fall behind BC and RU in terms of money, yup....but at this point what other choice is there? If the Big 12 does expand, no network means we lose out. I'd rather not see Cincy and someone else get a golden ticket. If that happens there's really no point anymore in playing this game.

Reaction Score
OU and UNC to the SEC to expand to 16. UNC's national championships will be recognized by SEC fans.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
OU and UNC to the SEC to expand to 16. UNC's national championships will be recognized by SEC fans.

Here is the thing: By the time the Big 12 GOR expires - Oklahoma won't be able to raise the boats in the Big 10 or SEC.

The dollars are drying up quick - UNC will be able to write their ticket. Texas will be able to. Oklahoma? They will slowly realize they are screwed.

Reaction Score
Yeah they don't care about upsetting their rights holders but they are passing on expansion. That totally adds up. They could just name 4 teams make them take a 50% haircut and collect 4 million year each for a decade.

I wonder why they don't do that?

I think this is the first step in a negotiation between the B12 and ESPN.

B12: What's your offer to sweeten the pot with a B12 network?

ESPN: Nothing. You'll get what the contract says and that's it. $20M per school. End of story.

B12: But we get $20M per school regardless of who we take.

ESPN: Right.

B12 (Loudly, to press): "Well it turns out we don't care about media makets at all and there's NO TELLING who we might invite! Gosh, it might be FOUR teams that are totally different from the two teams that our media partner might want. Could cost our media partner a lot of $$$!! And at SUCH an inconvenient time for them too with B10 media rights coming up."

This all seems like posturing to try to get to the next step:

ESPN: . . . Whoa, hey! Maybe let's sit down and talk a little more. I'm sure we could find some sort of arrangement that's mutually beneficial here.

Long story short - they're not actually pulling the trigger on 4 schools with a 50% haircut because they're trying to use that as leverage to negotiate for more.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think this is the first step in a negotiation between the B12 and ESPN.

B12: What's your offer to sweeten the pot with a B12 network?

ESPN: Nothing. You'll get what the contract says and that's it. $20M per school. End of story.

B12: But we get $20M per school regardless of who we take.

ESPN: Right.

B12 (Loudly, to press): "Well it turns out we don't care about media makets at all and there's NO TELLING who we might invite! Gosh, it might be FOUR teams that are totally different from the two teams that our media partner might want. Could cost our media partner a lot of $$$!! And at SUCH an inconvenient time for them too with B10 media rights coming up."

This all seems like posturing to try to get to the next step:

ESPN: . . . Whoa, hey! Maybe let's sit down and talk a little more. I'm sure we could find some sort of arrangement that's mutually beneficial here.

Long story short - they're not actually pulling the trigger on 4 schools with a 50% haircut because they're trying to use that as leverage to negotiate for more.

If the Big 12 can negotiate for more they shouldn't waste their time on a TV contract. They should broker peace in the Middle East and then end all the civil wars in Africa.

If it's really true it's pro-rata for any four schools they have some leverage - but to use it all would be extremely short-sighted.

Reaction Score
Joseph_Duarte 10:04pm via Twitter for iPhone
Houston AD Hunter Yurachek on Big 12 expansion still alive: '... the door was not shut on any of us'
006.jpg

Reaction Score
USA TODAY Sports ‏@USATODAYsports · 1h1 hour ago
Why the Big 12 is expanding in one way, but probably not the other.
Why the Big 12 is expanding in one way but not the other

From the story:
Expansion is highly unlikely.

That’s not official, of course. As expected, they punted any final decision about adding teams until later. They’ll have an answer probably this summer, or almost certainly this year – but hey, who really knows, because it’s the never-ending story.

And Oklahoma president David Boren, the current chairman of the league’s board of directors, dropped just enough vague phrases for fans of schools to parse and remain hopeful about the possibilities. Boren said the league’s presidents asked consulting firms Navigate Research and Bevilacqua Helfant Ventures (BHV) to do more research.

“We are certainly continuing to consider possible expansion and what that might do,” he said, “in terms of how it might impact the conference, both positively and negatively. We’re looking at the whole picture.”

But Boren also said this:

“The data for the championship game was absolutely compelling. The data for expansion is going to require some further thought. There’s no doubt that expansion gives some marginal (financial) gain, but how much marginal gain? We have to refine that a little further financially.”

If you’re parsing, pay very close attention to this next part:

“It does give some marginal gain,” Boren continued, “but you have to weight that against reputational impacts. In other words, our fans want to see our teams play against great teams. They don’t want to see them play mediocre teams. We have to determine what that’s going to do to the longtime reputation of the brands at each of the schools and what quality of opponents we’re having.”

Reaction Score
“It does give some marginal gain,” Boren continued, “but you have to weight that against reputational impacts. In other words, our fans want to see our teams play against great teams. They don’t want to see them play mediocre teams. We have to determine what that’s going to do to the longtime reputation of the brands at each of the schools and what quality of opponents we’re having.”
If this is what the metric is going to be, along with the usual success level/location/fanbase/etc., then the candidates are UC, UConn, and BYU and that's it. From a brand perspective, those are the only three that hold a candle. If UConn and Cincinnati swapped locations, UC wouldn't be in the discussion. We have the better brand along with BYU but location will cause problems.

Reaction Score
Hate to be crass but UC/UConn get half a hand job by the Big 12.

Strange thing is the ACC sits and waits like a dumb pimp, wgich males me nervous. The Big 12 could make their decisions and improve their conference, or wait like a frozen deer and wait for Armageddon.

The only schools with the Golden ticket are UT, OU, and Kansas. But UT struts its stuff like they are Leon Sphinx. I hope they go 4- 10 this season. Calculate that.

God its hard being a UConn fan.

Reaction Score
Can we please stop with Kansas having a golden ticket. Says who? UConn has and will continue to offer more than Kansas.

Reaction Score
If this is what the metric is going to be, along with the usual success level/location/fanbase/etc., then the candidates are UC, UConn, and BYU and that's it. From a brand perspective, those are the only three that hold a candle. If UConn and Cincinnati swapped locations, UC wouldn't be in the discussion. We have the better brand along with BYU but location will cause problems.

My initial reaction was a little different and I think I focused on the "great teams" part and assumed he meant primarily football. That wouldn't bode so well for us. BYU would seem to be the clear favorite. Houston and Cincy next? I suspect Memphis will fall off quite a bit after a couple of years with anNFL-caliber quarterback.

If this drags out a little longer, it would be a great time for the football team to have a great year.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Can we please stop with Kansas having a golden ticket. Says who? UConn has and will continue to offer more than Kansas.
Well they're AAU and out of current Big XII teams they are one of maybe 3 or 4 that may get scooped up by the SEC/B1G. Not that big a deal they get mentioned now and then.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I viewed this differently. To me this is the final nail in the coffin for UConn to the Big 12. No TV network is one death knell. Wanting your fans to enjoy playing new adds is the final one. We are a laughing stock in football, whether we like it or not. Fans see UCF as having more football presitge than us and it's infuriating. However, I have a feeling Boren's statement was directed solely at UConn. I see it as his way of saying, "We know UConn has the national brand in basketball and could bring a network into NYC but everyone else has said no because they aren't pretty enough on the football field".

It's absolute crap but let's be honest with ourselves, we aren't getting rave reviews in college football circles. We all know the realities of our fast rise and BCS berth. But that's "ancient" history to folks and they want teams that move the needle. We don't fit that criteria even remotely right now.

Reaction Score
Well they're AAU and out of current Big XII teams they are one of maybe 3 or 4 that may get scooped up by the SEC/B1G. Not that big a deal they get mentioned now and then.
The AAU argument holds little weight. The only way Kansas had a shot at the B1g was if OU moved as a standalone and the ACC established a network. We will know in short time that the second won't happen. What does that mean? Its simple. There are four schools that have landing spots. There are two or three schools, that depending on movement, are simply lurking. For the rest, it simply doesn't matter. Kansas is a part of the rest. As competitive as a leftover conference may be, a tv network will pay less than half of what the the B1g or Sec will get. These teams will forever be climbing an uphill battle. These talks of unconventional, yet new ways to stream content is noise. In no way when that happens, the revenue generated will come close to the more conventional way. Yesterday, the music stopped. Yesterday, the networks spoke loud and clear. The Big12 wanted to expand. TV execs said no. That decision speaks volumes.

Reaction Score
The infuriating thing is that we will likely be passed up for Cincy who offers absolutely nothing. Their football program is not that impressive and no one in that state even cares about that program. Another example of location being the key factor. Fukk I'm just waiting till the announcement in August to puke my brains out.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My initial reaction was a little different and I think I focused on the "great teams" part and assumed he meant primarily football. That wouldn't bode so well for us. BYU would seem to be the clear favorite. Houston and Cincy next? I suspect Memphis will fall off quite a bit after a couple of years with anNFL-caliber quarterback.

If this drags out a little longer, it would be a great time for the football team to have a great year.
Of course, were that to happen then football would cease to be a key metric.

CR#1

Reaction Score
The infuriating thing is that we will likely be passed up for Cincy who offers absolutely nothing. Their football program is not that impressive and no one in that state even cares about that program. Another example of location being the key factor. Fukk I'm just waiting till the announcement in August to puke my brains out.
Don't start puking just yet......The noise we are hearing here in Cincinnati is that while UC appears to be the least objectionable candidate, UCONN seems to still have strong support. Some Texas politicos and big cigars are pushing Houston to be added. Sounds like BYU, Boise, and Colorado State are not even in the conversation, which surprises me. Who knows, but the BIG12 adding Cincy, Houston, UCONN, and Memphis is still a realistic possibility.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
So if the B12 doesn't create its own network, is this when the State of Connecticut starts to strong arm ESPN? Even without a network, it's still difficult to argue many candidates value over UConn. And when this season's team wins 8+ games, the dumb people around the country might finally start to realize that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The more I think about the results of this weekend's meetings, the more I realize that Texas has no intention of staying in the big 12 past the current GOR. A little flexibility on the LHN would have resulted in more money for both Texas and for the rest of the conference. The cost of that, however, would be an extended GOR. I believe that was the dealbreaker to Texas.

So the good news, I guess, is that the break up of the big 12 will result in UConn being in a conference with more compelling rivals. What form that will take exactly, though, is unclear.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I still like UCONN's chances - if they want subscriptions, what fanbase moves the needle in all sports in the pack that has mentioned? UCF? USF? HOUSTON? MEMPHIS? no it's UCONN - package football, both basketball programs and other sports and we bring much more than anyone else including CINNCI and BYU. Hands down. Add it the athletics and this in not a death knoll

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
The more I think about the results of this weekend's meetings, the more I realize that Texas has no intention of staying in the big 12 past the current GOR. A little flexibility on the LHN would have resulted in more money for both Texas and for the rest of the conference. The cost of that, however, would be an extended GOR. I believe that was the dealbreaker to Texas.

So the good news, I guess, is that the break up of the big 12 will result in UConn being in a conference with more compelling rivals. What form that will take exactly, though, is unclear.

I agree with this whole heartedly. Neither ESPN nor Fox want to pay the Big12, the money is not there. Right now, they think so highly of the conference that their biggest game of the year, The RRR will be on FS1! Texas knows it. Oklahoma knows it. The Big12 won't last to the GoR, IMO. It might not even last to the end of the decade!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom