Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 138 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
That is Noescalators, he's a UConn fan. It's an April Fool's joke.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Could mean absolutely nothing or could mean we are in.

Colorado and Cal had a home and home scheduled the year Colorado joined P12. They played twice that year. One counted for conference standings one was on OOC game. I wouldn't take it to mean anything.

Reaction Score
That would have been good news .... if UConn is passed over by the B12, it is because we are in the B1G.
You never know; the CIC's OmniPop research network (which handles BTN traffic) updated its strategic priorities in November:

Five Year Technology Outlook for OmniPoP
  • Consider eastern presence (OmniPoP East) to support Penn State, Rutgers, and Maryland—(either) direct OmniPoP offering or via agreements with network collaborations such as KINBER
Strategic Priorities

Priority #1: Facilitate improved interactions with ourselves, our partners and users.
  • OmniPoP TAC and TTT members worked to integrate OmniPoP services into the general network infrastructure at their institutions and promote the added flexibility that OmniPoP offered when working to solve specific problems for researchers and other institutional members that require high speed network interconnections.
  • Outside of regularly scheduled OmniPoP conference calls and face to face meetings that keep the OmniPoP operations working as a cohesive unit, the OmniPoP EC has reached out to Big Ten Networks to facilitate better communication and understanding of what BTN needs from us and vice versa.
Priority #5: Develop strategic partnerships
  • In order to support our athletic departments’ initiative in creating the Big Ten Network (BTN), we have engaged with the BTN technical staff to create a direct interconnect in support of athletic content and have also worked to upgrade this connection to 10g speeds as traffic necessitated and are working to develop an additional redundant connection.
  • The further expansion of the CIC to include institutions in the East-Coast region has renewed our interest in creating strategic partnerships with network gigapops in that area. We are working to develop these relationships and improve the ability of the OmniPoP to offer relevant services to member institutions in this region.
The CIC OmniPoP Program Evaluation discusses several technological aspects of the CIC's OmniPoP Network, including a looming buy/build decision for its current network in 2019. Important takaways from this roadmap:
  1. All CIC universities except a) Nebraska in the west and b) Penn State, Maryland and Rutgers in the east, are directly connected to the OmniPoP.
  2. The BTN rides on the OmniPoP's Network.
  3. OmniPop is based in Chicago, which is not cost effective to have direct, individual connections to Penn State, Maryland and Rutgers
  4. CIC now refers to a) Penn State, Maryland and Rutgers as OmniPoP East
  5. Penn State chairs the CIC Chief Information Officer Committee
If the CIC decides to offer Penn State, Maryland and Rutgers a "direct OmniPoP offering," i.e., a direct connection from some central location to Chicago, where does the CIC build it? NYC? Somewhere in Pennsylvania? Bristol?!? :eek::D More importantly, if the CIC decides to build an OmniPoP East nerve center, how does this improve UConn's chances for joining the B1G, given a relatively close physical connection for tying into OmniPoP East? Anyway, it's a good read that provides a little insight into the CIC's thought process. I would expect a new report to be issued in the summer/fall.

Reaction Score
Huh?

C'mon man, its obvious:

1278617045o16714.jpg

pj

Reaction Score
He's saying that to save on costs of laying fiber-optic cable to Penn State, the B1G has no choice but to invite UConn.

Who can't follow that logic?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Colorado and Cal had a home and home scheduled the year Colorado joined P12. They played twice that year. One counted for conference standings one was on OOC game. I wouldn't take it to mean anything.
That's not correct. They played once in 2011 and it was considered a non-conference game even though Colorado had joined the conference.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
That's not correct. They played once in 2011 and it was considered a non-conference game even though Colorado had joined the conference.

Gotcha. I stand corrected. I did remember them playing OOC and thought it was odd but understood why.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
C'mon man, its obvious:

OK, feeling a little geeky this evening so here goes, for anyone who's interested. PoP = Point of Presence. Layman's translation = end points or nodes on a network (i.e the referenced fiber optic network that connects the current B1G schools). The issue seems to be that certain schools (Nebraska, Maryland, Rutgers) are not directly connected to the OmniPoP network and, as a result, may have limitations in terms of services (i.e network bandwidth) to stream certain types of data effectively (i.e. BTN video content, unstructured research data, etc). Hence the CIOs from the member universities on the Community on Institutional Cooperation (the CIC) committee have evaluated the program/network and are making some recommendations.

Did I get that mostly right from anyone who knows more about this than I do about? Bottom line for UConn is to either show these guys how adding a UConn node to their network is easy and involves no limitations or degradation to network bandwidth, or we show them how using fiber optic technology is old school and slow, and how we have a better solution based on findings from our STEM research lab. ;)
1278617045o16714.jpg

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
If the CIC decides to offer Penn State, Maryland and Rutgers a "direct OmniPoP offering," i.e., a direct connection from some central location to Chicago, where does the CIC build it? NYC? Somewhere in Pennsylvania? Bristol?!? :eek::D More importantly, if the CIC decides to build an OmniPoP East nerve center, how does this improve UConn's chances for joining the B1G, given a relatively close physical connection for tying into OmniPoP East?
There is already a strong pipe between NYC and Chicago. This is a trace between Boston and one of the host environments (NU). I would imagine that they'd just look for a dedicated pipe from NYC to the east coast colleges. Probably easy to get to RU, but PSU not so much. Just doing a ping from my house to RU, PSU and Pitt shows that PSU is a nightmare to get to electronically.

6 16 ms 15 ms 24 ms 0.ae6.BR1.NYC1.ALTER.NET [140.222.228.131]
7 * 17 ms 17 ms ae11.edge2.NewYork.Level3.net [4.68.62.41]
8 64 ms 34 ms 33 ms ae-1-3519.edge3.Chicago3.Level3.net [4.69.159.178]
9 32 ms 32 ms 31 ms NORTHWESTER.edge3.Chicago3.Level3.net [4.53.96.26]
10 41 ms 32 ms 33 ms abbt-mdf-5-xe-1-2-0.northwestern.edu [129.105.247.233]
11 35 ms 32 ms 31 ms 192.26.87.70

Reaction Score
April 1st is a tricky day to be on the internet. I just read a story about a girl that got into Yale, Harvard and Stanford due to an essay about how she loves shopping at Costco.

How was I to know it wasn't an April Fool's prank?

Reaction Score
You ne100Gbps ver know; the CIC's OmniPop research network (which handles BTN traffic) updated its strategic priorities in November:

Five Year Technology Outlook for OmniPoP
  • Consider eastern presence (OmniPoP East) to support Penn State, Rutgers, and Maryland—(either) direct OmniPoP offering or via agreements with network collaborations such as KINBER
Strategic Priorities

Priority #1: Facilitate improved interactions with ourselves, our partners and users.
  • OmniPoP TAC and TTT members worked to integrate OmniPoP services into the general network infrastructure at their institutions and promote the added flexibility that OmniPoP offered when working to solve specific problems for researchers and other institutional members that require high speed network interconnections.
  • Outside of regularly scheduled OmniPoP conference calls and face to face meetings that keep the OmniPoP operations working as a cohesive unit, the OmniPoP EC has reached out to Big Ten Networks to facilitate better communication and understanding of what BTN needs from us and vice versa.
Priority #5: Develop strategic partnerships
  • In order to support our athletic departments’ initiative in creating the Big Ten Network (BTN), we have engaged with the BTN technical staff to create a direct interconnect in support of athletic content and have also worked to upgrade this connection to 10g speeds as traffic necessitated and are working to develop an additional redundant connection.
  • The further expansion of the CIC to include institutions in the East-Coast region has renewed our interest in creating strategic partnerships with network gigapops in that area. We are working to develop these relationships and improve the ability of the OmniPoP to offer relevant services to member institutions in this region.
The CIC OmniPoP Program Evaluation discusses several technological aspects of the CIC's OmniPoP Network, including a looming buy/build decision for its current network in 2019. Important takaways from this roadmap:
  1. All CIC universities except a) Nebraska in the west and b) Penn State, Maryland and Rutgers in the east, are directly connected to the OmniPoP.
  2. The BTN rides on the OmniPoP's Network.
  3. OmniPop is based in Chicago, which is not cost effective to have direct, individual connections to Penn State, Maryland and Rutgers
  4. CIC now refers to a) Penn State, Maryland and Rutgers as OmniPoP East
  5. Penn State chairs the CIC Chief Information Officer Committee
If the CIC decides to offer Penn State, Maryland and Rutgers a "direct OmniPoP offering," i.e., a direct connection from some central location to Chicago, where does the CIC build it? NYC? Somewhere in Pennsylvania? Bristol?!? :eek::D More importantly, if the CIC decides to build an OmniPoP East nerve center, how does this improve UConn's chances for joining the B1G, given a relatively close physical connection for tying into OmniPoP East? Anyway, it's a good read that provides a little insight into the CIC's thought process. I would expect a new report to be issued in the summer/fall.

When I looked up info on OmniPop, it said that it has access to 100Gbps :
https://www.cic.net/projects/technology/omnipop/services-and-peerings

That is what UConn has, according to this article:
Ultra-High-Speed Broadband Bolsters UConn Research
While the initial Storrs campus upgrades are expected to go online later this year, labs at UConn Health in Farmington, like the Richard D. Berlin Center for Cell Analysis and Modeling (CCAM), already have access to the 100Gbps lines.

“There are not many institutions in the country that have access to this kind of Internet,” says Ion Moraru, director of the CCAM’s high-performance computing facility. “This puts us on the same tier as national labs like Oak Ridge and Lawrence Livermore and universities like Indiana and UC San Diego that have a long tradition of supercomputing.”

http://today.uconn.edu/2015/04/ultra-high-speed-broadband-bolsters-uconn-research/

So of OmniPoP wants to expand in the East, they should give UConn a call. :D

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom