Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 140 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Not true. We hauled in $45 million, and the other $27 million was subsidized by students or donors. Aka, not good or sustainable.
I can't see how a subsidy is counted as revenue.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Not true. We hauled in $45 million, and the other $27 million was subsidized by students or donors. Aka, not good or sustainable.

Some of the "subsidy" has already been explained in other threads, which is basically a difference in reporting. The rest of the subsidy, I would argue, is perfectly sustainable if you understand the value of athletics toward general student body recruitment and university name recognition. I won't get into it here, because I avoid punches to the throat. But suffice it to say that President Herbst and the UConn leadership understand the value of the athletic dollar in terms of generating revenue elsewhere at the university, even in times of restrictive budgets. It is a form of advertising expenditure that generates more returns than any other form of advertising...

Reaction Score
One thing I think Nelson and his band of merry men fail to realize is that student recreation and intramural sports are run through the athletic department. The Fieldhouse doubles as the student rec center right now..soon to be replaced by a new facility across from the Co-Op where the grad student housing presently is. Intramural sports are held on or in athletic department facilities. There was at one time a Associate AD that was in charge of intramural sports programs as well. So the student fees that are taken in go to upkeep the facilities and pay to keep them
Open for said events/sports. What the Athletic Dept should do is seperate these costs and tag them as such. That way the true "subsidy" can be shown!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
One thing I think Nelson and his band of merry men fail to realize is that student recreation and intramural sports are run through the athletic department. The Fieldhouse doubles as the student rec center right now..soon to be replaced by a new facility across from the Co-Op where the grad student housing presently is. Intramural sports are held on or in athletic department facilities. There was at one time a Associate AD that was in charge of intramural sports programs as well. So the student fees that are taken in go to upkeep the facilities and pay to keep them
Open for said events/sports. What the Athletic Dept should do is seperate these costs and tag them as such. That way the true "subsidy" can be shown!

Can you provide a breakdown of this with sources?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Either way, we should get rid of cross country (men's and women's) and golf. Neither provide any sort of financial benefit to the school, and cross country is costly in terms of a boat load of scholarships.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
So are you saying that Cincy has no subsidy and that their stated income is truly income?
Some of the "subsidy" has already been explained in other threads, which is basically a difference in reporting. The rest of the subsidy, I would argue, is perfectly sustainable if you understand the value of athletics toward general student body recruitment and university name recognition. I won't get into it here, because I avoid punches to the throat. But suffice it to say that President Herbst and the UConn leadership understand the value of the athletic dollar in terms of generating revenue elsewhere at the university, even in times of restrictive budgets. It is a form of advertising expenditure that generates more returns than any other form of advertising...
USA TODAY Sports Ok, boys: here subsidies are counted as revenue and Cincy had $23 million and we had $28 million in subsidies.

Reaction Score
Either way, we should get rid of cross country (men's and women's) and golf. Neither provide any sort of financial benefit to the school, and cross country is costly in terms of a boat load of scholarships.
Getting rid of these sports is not the answer. We need a well rounded university in all aspects

Reaction Score

No. Keeping only revenue sports is not what it is about.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Getting rid of these sports is not the answer. We need a well rounded university in all aspects
Well-rounded is the reason it takes four years to graduate college instead of three (thereby raising costs for students). We don't need a gazillion bogus general education courses (two or three is fine), and we don't need sports we can't afford.

Reaction Score
Can you provide a breakdown of this with sources?
Intramural Sports | UConn Recreation
I'm not going to do all your work for you..click on the different sports in the schedule and you will find that soccer is played at Schenkman, swimming at the Wolf-Zackin Natatorium, basketball and exercise facilities are at the Fieldhouse, tennis is at the varsity tennis courts, flag football is at the Sherman Family Sports Complex...etc...Gee Nelson what do those facilities and UConn athletics have in common...I know they are the same facilities used by the athletic teams!

Reaction Score

You think cutting 30 scholarships across men's and women's x-country is the answer? Golf is only 4-5 in total I believe.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Got cut from the team eh?
Nope. Regardless, we have a financial crisis and getting ridding of cross country and golf slightly softens the blow, and while yes, it hurts the 30 or so scholarship players most of them can find D-1 scholarships elsewhere, and the walk-ons could always go to another school in the area.

Reaction Score
Well-rounded is the reason it takes four years to graduate college instead of three (thereby raising costs for students). We don't need a gazillion bogus general education courses (two or three is fine), and we don't need sports we can't afford.
So anything that doesn't turn a profit should be removed from the university? Get rid of all other sports other than football and basketball, intramurals, rec centers, bands, and so on? I disagree with your idea.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
So anything that doesn't turn a profit should be removed from the university? Get rid of all other sports other than football and basketball, intramurals, rec centers, bands, and so on? I disagree with your idea.
That's not what I am implying. It is not about turning a profit, it is about breaking even. Football and basketball make money so we can subsidize other sports with that money. However, the NCAA stipulates that to be D-1, you have to 7 male sports and an equivalent number of female scholarships (as long as its at least 7 sports). The point I am trying to make is that we have too many sports above the minimum limit that lose money against the budget.

Reaction Score
Hate to agree with Shizzle but if you are hitting up students for a subsidy... cutting some non-revenue sports makes sense.

Honestly if it's not an olympic sport, professional sport, or sport we already excel at on the national stage, it's not really worth keeping. I don't think anyone is going to cry over cutting golf or cross country.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Honestly if it's not an olympic sport, professional sport, or sport we already excel at on the national stage, it's not really worth keeping. I don't think anyone is going to cry over cutting golf or cross country.

I imagine golf costs next to nothing - but I was on a flight yesterday with the Penn State track team. That has to be sneaky expensive moving that many people around the country.

It's sports like that which seem completely wasteful to me. If you are throwing a discus or a javelin for example - you just need someone to measure it - you don't need to fly somewhere to 'compete'.

Reaction Score
I can't see how a subsidy is counted as revenue.

There are so many different ways they bake that cake. Some schools take the private donations toward the building of facilities, and count them as donation revenue over time. Meanwhile, the school finances the stadium and pays the interest. This is one subsidy that doesn't show on the ADs ledgers. Instead, the AD shows revenue in the form of donations.

Reaction Score
That's not what I am implying. It is not about turning a profit, it is about breaking even. Football and basketball make money so we can subsidize other sports with that money. However, the NCAA stipulates that to be D-1, you have to 7 male sports and an equivalent number of female scholarships (as long as its at least 7 sports). The point I am trying to make is that we have too many sports above the minimum limit that lose money against the budget.

Before some schools went D1 in football, they had relatively low budgets. Jumping up to D1 caused those budgets to rise 3 or 4-fold in a couple years. I suspect that football is not the revenue producer many think it is. Football is also the reason for some of the biggest expenditures (coaching salaries, trainers, weight room, doctors, travel, recruiting expenses, 85 scholarships, etc.).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom