Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 141 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Before some schools went D1 in football, they had relatively low budgets. Jumping up to D1 caused those budgets to rise 3 or 4-fold in a couple years. I suspect that football is not the revenue producer many think it is. Football is also the reason for some of the biggest expenditures (coaching salaries, trainers, weight room, doctors, travel, recruiting expenses, 85 scholarships, etc.).
I realize this, but I think a reason for increased costs is also the Title IX requirements attached to adding football.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
You think cutting 30 scholarships across men's and women's x-country is the answer? Golf is only 4-5 in total I believe.
I doubt that Men's Cross Country has anywhere near that amount. When I was on UConn Track in '80-'81, there were only 3 or 4 scholarships total for Men's track and field, which typically were split into quarter or half scholarships for the top performers.
Women's sports are different, as the total scholarship amount needs to match the men's total and since Football gets 80 there are a lot to make up in other sports. The facilities upkeep and uniform costs for Cross Country are relatively very low.

Reaction Score
Somewhere out there Fishy's head just went boom
Fishy, in his special blanket, listening to Tom read a print out of the Key Tweets thread, daring him to find evidence of a key tweet.
better-call-saul-recap-episode-2-chuck.jpg

pj

Reaction Score
Fishy, in his special blanket, listening to Tom read a print out of the Key Tweets thread, daring him to find evidence of a key tweet.
better-call-saul-recap-episode-2-chuck.jpg

Huh. Fishy and Tom got more handsome.

Reaction Score
I doubt that Men's Cross Country has anywhere near that amount. When I was on UConn Track in '80-'81, there were only 3 or 4 scholarships total for Men's track and field, which typically were split into quarter or half scholarships for the top performers.
NCAA allows 12.6 scholarships for Men XC, 18 for Women XC. Not sure how many are actually utilized (full or partial).

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I imagine golf costs next to nothing - but I was on a flight yesterday with the Penn State track team. That has to be sneaky expensive moving that many people around the country.

It's sports like that which seem completely wasteful to me. If you are throwing a discus or a javelin for example - you just need someone to measure it - you don't need to fly somewhere to 'compete'.

Track's a weird animal. You don't really travel to schools in your conference... you go to a half dozen or so big meets.. then have your conference championship... most of the time there's a standard you have to reach in order to compete, etc. I'm guessing UConn probably sends a handful of kids to the big invitationals.. Cross country costs outside of scholarships probably costs next to nothing... I mean heck look at the cross country schedule. They probably didn't take a plane to a single away event... MAYBE the American Conference championship, but I doubt it.

Cross Country and Track programs also share scholarships... so cross country is probably your cheapest sport to operate.

Reaction Score
Jake TrotterVerified account‏@Jake_Trotter 53m53 minutes ago

Texas coach Charlie Strong says he favors the status quo on the issues of expansion, adding a championship game.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Shizzle forgers you have to balance Title IX scholarships - so across the board cuts do not always mean things stay the same. The cost for golf and track are nominal - but the scholarships given to the women are necessary. Women's rowing too. So advocating for eliminating sports is not so easy as a line item slash.

Reaction Score
Hate to agree with Shizzle but if you are hitting up students for a subsidy... cutting some non-revenue sports makes sense.
The only issue about not hitting students up for subsidies is this: no subsidy then no access to athletic facilities for intramural sports. If you see my above post and click on the link Provides you will find that intramural a exclusively use athletic department facilities.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If athletics are supposed to enhance the college learning experience as we've been led to believe than subsidizing non revenue sports shouldn't be an issue. Most colleges do without any real revenue sports. It then becomes a question of dollars.

If course you'd have to first figure our how you are calculating those numbers. What does an athletic scholarship, room and board really cost the school? What does it charge itself in the ledger?

Reaction Score
If athletics are supposed to enhance the college learning experience as we've been led to believe than subsidizing non revenue sports shouldn't be an issue. Most colleges do without any real revenue sports. It then becomes a question of dollars.

If course you'd have to first figure our how you are calculating those numbers. What does an athletic scholarship, room and board really cost the school? What does it charge itself in the ledger?

Within the college world, athletics remain a marketing and enhancement tool for most colleges, i.e. those outside of D1 primarily. TCNJ, Ithaca, SUNY-Cortland, Trinity, ECSU, Tufts, S Maine, Bowdoin, etc. all offer at least 12 sport programs that I doubt raise much revenue; but, seem to have no issue with the cost. Within the P5 and G5, sports have been turned into a marketing and revenue generator for these schools and thus the business model of make money or die. Football in particular has turned into the 500 elephant in the rumor in that if a school, such as UConn needs the program to reach it's B1G athletic and academic goals; but, very few programs turn a profit in football due to its high costs in terms of capital (stadiums, practice facilities, travel, etc.) and people (scholarships and coaches).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The only issue about not hitting students up for subsidies is this: no subsidy then no access to athletic facilities for intramural sports. If you see my above post and click on the link Provides you will find that intramural a exclusively use athletic department facilities.

Why would that mean no intramural access? If the subsidy was smaller or was just directly for student activities that would be an improvement over where we are.

Kid's borrowing money with Fed backing to pay fees that enrich a small number of people. Isn't it a bit silly to graduate and then pay back student loans which are partially inflated because the basketball coach makes 3 million?

Reaction Score
Why would that mean no intramural access? If the subsidy was smaller or was just directly for student activities that would be an improvement over where we are.

Kid's borrowing money with Fed backing to pay fees that enrich a small number of people. Isn't it a bit silly to graduate and then pay back student loans which are partially inflated because the basketball coach makes 3 million?
I agree with you that the subsidy shouldn't pay for coaching salaries. But what happens when the turf inside Schenkman needs to be replaced because it is used for More than athletics? They are charging the students in their rec fee for the new student Rec center...the subsidy should go to maintain the facilities that are used for intramural's. At the end of the day UConn needs to find a way to show what a true subsidy is. Although if Rentschler starts filling up again it will be interesting to see what that increased income is.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Greg Madia‏@GregMadia
Holgorsen says Big 12 is comfortable at ten teams. Says one issue he has is with playing on final weekend without playing for title.

Reaction Score
Jeff or Jeffrey Fann ‏@TalkinACCSports 2h2 hours ago
ESPN losing some big 10 pac 12 and big 12 rights over last few yrs to fox they need to be better partner to acc with improved exposure and $

Edwin F. Brooks ‏@orangeskin 2h2 hours agoUnited States
@TalkinACCSports I hope this means the end of Friday night games.

Jeff or Jeffrey Fann ‏@TalkinACCSports 2h2 hours ago
@orangeskin that would be a start... get those games off fri. If Vanderbilt football can get a prime time sat slot on espn2 why not?

Jeff or Jeffrey Fann ‏@TalkinACCSports 1h1 hour ago
Astonishing the whiz Jim Delany is in handling Big 10 rights. Just blew by the rest of the Power 5.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 1h1 hour ago
@DanWolken @micahpe But does not reflect greater value of the B1G product - just inflation.

Jeff or Jeffrey Fann ‏@TalkinACCSports 1h1 hour ago
@theDudeofWV @DanWolken @micahpe Doesn't matter who has more value, it is who is the better salesman. In that regard Delaney has no peer.

Reaction Score
Jon Wilner ‏@wilnerhotline · 2h2 hours ago
B1G and SEC are playing a different game than Pac12/B12/ACC, at least with the cash registers

B1G would get $250M/yr from Fox for half of its 1st tier rights. Pac12 gets $250M/yr from Fox and ESPN for ALL of its 1st tier rights

Jon Wilner ‏@wilnerhotline · 1h1 hour ago
seeing report on B1G T1 deal and thinking out loud: for his last act, did mike slive get espn to agree to most favored nation clause?

B1G and SEC schools will be $35-40M/yr in media rev. Pac12 in 25M range w/out DTV & will stay that way until next round of Tier 1 deals

UTDrew6‏@UTDrew6
@wilnerhotline You think Texas will join forces with the Pac 12?

dont see how unless UT rips up LHN deal or Pac12 CEOs agree to unequal rev sharing. former: cant see. latter: never

What i could envision down the road is a Pac-12/B12 partnership. not a merger, but halfway there, esp for scheduling

Red Raider Ranting‏@RaiderRantings
@wilnerhotline Why wouldn't the Pac12 Big12 Merger move forward, dumping 2 schools from Big12 would do it...

Jon Wilner ‏@wilnerhotline · 1h1 hour ago
i dont sense an appetite among CEOs/commissioners for "dumping schools" after previous, unseemly realignment wave

The Playoff Guru ‏@ThePlayoffGuru · 28m28 minutes ago
.@wilnerhotline and the fact that P12 had its media rights locked up means they'll be fiscally well behind SEC and B1G for next decade

Reaction Score
Tom Block‏@_TomBlock
Bigger picture we'll be joined by @DavidTeelatDP to discuss #ACC Network , in light of news about even more money to the B1G. #TheFrontRow

Here is the podcast:
http://979espnradio.hipcast.com/deluge/979espnradio-20160420170416-6859.mp3

The interview with David Teel, reporter for the Daily Press, starts at 29 minutes. He still believes that there will be an ACCN in some form. At 40 minutes, there is a discussion by the hosts. They believe that if there is no network by July 1, there will be money added to the contract. Also, the hosts stated that if there is no network, there is going to be all sorts of articles re the ACC that "the sky is falling", that the ACC is going away, and that FSU should join another conference. The hosts mentioned the Big 10 contract, but believe that ESPN will "level the playing field" by giving the ACC more money.

Tom Block freelances extensively with the Seminole IMG Sports Network, serving as the pregame host, sideline and locker room reporter for all Florida State football games, and also hosts Jimbo Fisher’s weekly TV show. In addition to his responsibilities with IMG, Tom also calls play-by-play for ESPN, the ACC, and other networks for various sports including men’s and women’s basketball, baseball, volleyball, soccer, softball, tennis, and track and field. When not moonlighting as a sportscaster, Tom serves as the campaign manager for the FSU Office of University Advancement as FSU conducts the most ambitious fundraising campaign in university history.

Reaction Score
Tom Block‏@_TomBlock
Bigger picture we'll be joined by @DavidTeelatDP to discuss #ACC Network , in light of news about even more money to the B1G. #TheFrontRow

Here is the podcast:

The interview with David Teel, reporter for the Daily Press, starts at 29 minutes. He still believes that there will be an ACCN in some form. At 40 minutes, there is a discussion by the hosts. They believe that if there is no network by July 1, there will be money added to the contract. Also, the hosts stated that if there is no network, there is going to be all sorts of articles re the ACC that "the sky is falling", that the ACC is going away, and that FSU should join another conference. The hosts mentioned the Big 10 contract, but believe that ESPN will "level the playing field" by giving the ACC more money.

Tom Block freelances extensively with the Seminole IMG Sports Network, serving as the pregame host, sideline and locker room reporter for all Florida State football games, and also hosts Jimbo Fisher’s weekly TV show. In addition to his responsibilities with IMG, Tom also calls play-by-play for ESPN, the ACC, and other networks for various sports including men’s and women’s basketball, baseball, volleyball, soccer, softball, tennis, and track and field. When not moonlighting as a sportscaster, Tom serves as the campaign manager for the FSU Office of University Advancement as FSU conducts the most ambitious fundraising campaign in university history.

Out of the "goodness of their hearts!"

Reaction Score
Tom Block‏@_TomBlock

Here is the podcast:

Good pick up - I guess I don't see ESPN leveling anything for the ACC unless it makes economic sense to them. It probably doesn't. IMO, there is not enough good content.

With all of this, there has to come a time when networks, paying this kind of money, start wishing away the P5 conferences' weak players. Unless the legacy interest and/or protection is so strong as to prevent it. If the P5 capable schools were truly ranked as to value, we would get in easily. Maybe we would not be in a top tier, massive payout conference, but we'd be a of lot better off than we are now. After all of this settles, maybe CR gets down to a P2 and a P2a breakdown as some suggest. We would jump at a P2a offer and be happy, while continuing to shake our heads at Rutgers...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom