Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 94 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Double the virus, double the fun.
What would happen to the Big 12 if Iowa State were invited to another P5 conference? That might be B1G move if only to entice Kansas or Oklahoma to jump the sinking ship. I thought that was B1G's play in inviting Maryland, open the gates to UVA and UNC.

DeLaney is not going to go further west into inferior markets for inferior brands. That just doesn't make sense. The only three schools in the Big 12 the B1G would consider adding are KU, OU and Texas (and that would only be if Texas made major concessions).

Reaction Score
Not quite. Penn State was performance based and brought key large markets. Nebraska was added at a time when the conference was down for football (Ohio State was unusually weak), and was a straight on the field add plus national name in football. With those two in the fold, they could concentrate on TV markets with UMD and Rutgers. So what do they do now? Can they afford to further dilute football? I've long felt that they probably need at least one football brand and one basketball brand (no more Rutgers). As much as I like the idea of KU and UConn, it seems unlikely to me. OU and KU, fine. VT and UConn, fine.
VT is a non starter...B1G would target UVA, academics alone.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
VT is a non starter...B1G would target UVA, academics alone.

Sure, but who would be easier to convince to make the jump? I think that UVA isn't going anywhere. They are just too ingrained into The ACC. UMD was not happy with tobacco row and UVA was part of that mess. VT doesn't have the ACC tradition that UVA does and are closer to a Big10 school than UVA. While I think that neither UVA nor VT are possibilities for the Big10, VT is more likely to jump than UVA is.

I think that the Big10 will be at 20 someday, and UConn, Oklahoma and Kansas will be part of it. I would love to have VT in the Big10, especially as UConn's partner. I just don't think it's happening.

Reaction Score
David Teel‏@DavidTeelatDP
Swoff on forecasts of declining TV rights fees: "I've been in this business 40 years, and it hasn't happened yet." #ACCMediaDay

Reaction Score
Swoff on forecasts of declining TV rights fees: "I've been in this business 40 years, and it hasn't happened yet." #ACCMediaDay

Swoff never heard the term bubble. Was he a stockbroker prior to being a snake oil salesman?

Reaction Score
Swoff has not shown me brilliance. Not strategic nor a genius as analysis.

Reaction Score

Oh no, imminent meltdown in college athletics!!!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Swoff can say that because he gets to retire before the next ACC deal. He wouldn't say that if he was tasked with it.

Reaction Score
Dan Wolken @DanWolken
Again, its not the football product. The SEC $$ is getting bigger every year. The Big Ten is about to get paid. The ACC is falling behind.

Dan Wolken @DanWolken
And that is not me interpreting. The term "Power 4" has been uttered to me by high ranking officials at multiple ACC schools.

Dan Wolken @DanWolken
Ill say this. Several admins at ACC schools are worried that the Power 5 is really a Power 4 and theyre on the outside. This is a big deal

Reaction Score
David Teel ‏@DavidTeelatDP · 3h3 hours ago
Statement from John Swofford on report that ESPN delaying an #ACC channel: "Anything said ... is premature and speculative."

Reaction Score
David Teel ‏@DavidTeelatDP · 9h9 hours ago
Blog: John Swofford calls report of ESPN delaying an #ACC channel "premature." http://Post original url/1WlrSye

a perr ‏@aperr2 · 2h2 hours ago
@DavidTeelatDP What amt would be the increased rights fees be in lieu of ACCN?

David Teel ‏@DavidTeelatDP · 2h2 hours ago
@aperr2 Wish I knew.

Jeff ‏@JeffWirth2002 · 3h3 hours ago
@DavidTeelatDP @TheDalyPlanet and where exactly is ESPN getting this money from to pay them - they have mandated budget cuts

David Teel ‏@DavidTeelatDP · 1h1 hour ago
@JeffWirth2002 @TheDalyPlanet May well be contracted.

Forrest Clinard ‏@forrestatty · 3h3 hours ago
@DavidTeelatDP thanks for info. Swofford can't keep being vague. If his relationships can't get this done maybe we need new commish.

David Teel
‏@DavidTeelatDP @forrestatty Yes, sir. The non-negotiable is that ACC needs more revenue. Somehow, some way.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

CL82

Reaction Score
If this were any other Big 12 prez than Gee, I think it wouldn't be newsworthy.

But the fact that West Virginia, out on an island, who has been most vocal about expansion, is saying "We are happy at 10 teams" makes me think there is no consensus to expand right now.

It feels like he's measuring expectations with a comment like that. So that when the Big 12 doesn't expand he can point back and say, "What? I've been saying all along we are happy at 10."
Or is that movement is planned or possible and they been told to be quiet? If nothing were happening, why refer questions back to Bowlsby?

Reaction Score
Or is that movement is planned or possible and they been told to be quiet? If nothing were happening, why refer questions back to Bowlsby?

Standard media deflection tactic. Any time a principal doesn't want to answer questions you punt it away.

It's why during a criminal investigation people typically get quoted as saying something like, "Due to an ongoing police investigation we cannot comment further at this time. Please contact the PD with additional inquiries."

CL82

Reaction Score
Standard media deflection tactic. Any time a principal doesn't want to answer questions you punt it away.

It's why during a criminal investigation people typically get quoted as saying something like, "Due to an ongoing police investigation we cannot comment further at this time. Please contact the PD with additional inquiries."
I'm not sure that's really apples to apples. There's a whole lot reasons why you wouldn't want comment during an ongoing investigation. Here, if the issue is dead, just say it's dead. Moving questions to a central point man is an indication that you are managing the message. JMO.

Reaction Score
Of course "right now" in expansion parlance would not necessarily extend to "later this afternoon."

Reaction Score
Travis Haney ‏@TravHaneyESPN · 4h4 hours ago
Houston not messing around: Board willing to go $3 mil per to keep Tom Herman. Road map to join Power 5 league part of pitch, as well.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'd like to see exactly what their "road map" looks like.

the-nearly-10-g-nissan-leaf-getting-an-ev-to-grip-like-a-911-inline-photo-460680-s-original.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom