Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 87 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
That was the plan in the beginning, pre-playoff. The playoff puts a premium on winning non-conference games against good competition, so I would not be shocked if the Big 10 never got to 9 conference games.

Actually the B1G will start a 9 game schedule for the 2016 season and beyond as of now.

Here is the Ohio State schedule as an example.

Sept. 3 Bowling Green
Sept. 10 Tulsa
Sept. 17 at Oklahoma
Sept. 24 Off
Oct. 1 Rutgers
Oct. 8 Indiana
Oct. 15 at Wisconsin
Oct. 22 at Penn State
Oct. 29 Northwestern
Nov. 5 Nebraska
Nov. 12 at Maryland
Nov. 19 at Michigan State
Nov. 26 Michigan

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Naaahhhh, let's just hold out hope your dream of Warde's secret discussions with the B1G come true sometime in the next 10 - 90 years. After all, the Big12 might implode and then where would we be? I just hope Warde is still alive to receive all the accolades he will no doubt get from you.
Brother, if we get in the B1G, I won't be the only one.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Actually the B1G will start a 9 game schedule for the 2016 season and beyond as of now.

Here is the Ohio State schedule as an example.

Sept. 3 Bowling Green
Sept. 10 Tulsa
Sept. 17 at Oklahoma
Sept. 24 Off
Oct. 1 Rutgers
Oct. 8 Indiana
Oct. 15 at Wisconsin
Oct. 22 at Penn State
Oct. 29 Northwestern
Nov. 5 Nebraska
Nov. 12 at Maryland
Nov. 19 at Michigan State
Nov. 26 Michigan

They aren't going to change their 2016 schedules at this point, but the playoffs will put a premium on non-conference wins. It will be really hard for the Big 10 to get two teams in the playoffs with this scheduling, and it will, like last year, expose the league to getting left out altogether.

Reaction Score
Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 14m14 minutes ago
Scott on possibility ESPN sells direct to subscribers: “That’s a game-changer. If and when that happens, I’d like to control my own network"

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 14m14 minutes ago
Scott on cable unbundling: “Premium properties will do well in that environment, the marginal ones will suffer. It will expand the gap."

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 10m10 minutes ago
Scott on ESPN cutbacks impacting rights fees: “I’m glad we’ve got our deal done. I’d be more worried if I were the Big Ten coming up."

Dan WolkenVerified account‏@DanWolken 2h2 hours ago
Scott broached idea Pac 12 might sell part of the network to generate revenue. Hasn’t advocated for it but oikes having the flexibility.

Dan WolkenVerified account‏@DanWolken 2h2 hours ago
Scott, undoubtedly referring to the SEC’s penchant for flaunting its distribution figure: “We’re not into, ‘Look how big mine is.’”

Reaction Score
They aren't going to change their 2016 schedules at this point, but the playoffs will put a premium on non-conference wins. It will be really hard for the Big 10 to get two teams in the playoffs with this scheduling, and it will, like last year, expose the league to getting left out altogether.

The committee isn't going to penalize leagues for only having three non-conference games.

But seriously, have you looked at the future non-conference schedules for Ohio State and some of the other premier Big Ten programs?

Just OSU for example:

2016 - at Oklahoma
2017 - Oklahoma, UNLV
2018 - Oregon State, at TCU
2019 - Cincinnati, TCU
2020 - at Oregon
2021 - Oregon
2022 - Notre Dame, at Texas
2023 - Boston College, Texas, at Notre Dame
2024 - at Boston College

And Michigan:

2016: Hawaii, UCF, Colorado
2017: Florida (Arlington, TX), Cincinnati, Air Force
2018: Arkansas, SMU
2019: at Arkansas, Army
2020: at Washington, Ball State, Virginia Tech
2021: at Virginia Tech, Washington
2022: UCLA
2023: at UCLA
2024: Texas
2025: at Oklahoma

Suggesting the Big Ten teams are at risk due to scheduling is asinine, given the teams OSU, UM, MSU, PSU, etc. have scheduled the next 10 years.

Reaction Score
Someone's got to take it on the chin to the big boys, I can think of no one better than BC :)
Some of our fans are willing to give schools of similar clout our women and two road games for one home game at a neutral site.

If freaking BC can get a home-and-home with Ohio State, we're fine. Already had one with Michigan.

Reaction Score
Butch... There is absolutely nothing fine about where we stand.
A matter of time. They know this state's fanbase potential. If Oregon and Baylor can succeed, so can we.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Time - especially in the AAC - is our worst enemy Butch. It breeds apathy. It's happening right now. It gives us a larger and larger ditch to dig out of. I get it, you believe in UConn's ability to overcome. But there is no proof - yet - that our future is fine.

Reaction Score
Ohio State at BC? Really? Home-and-home?
Thats the kind of scheduled future game's we need at UConn...maybe due to ND's arrogant ways OSU decided instead of them they'd take on Catholic lite instead? But i agree...home and home for BC? It'll be like an OSU home game in BOSTON!!

Reaction Score
Time - especially in the AAC - is our worst enemy Butch. It breeds apathy. It's happening right now. It gives us a larger and larger ditch to dig out of. I get it, you believe in UConn's ability to overcome. But there is no proof - yet - that our future is fine.
Hang in there CtMike...I have faith and your positioned too well...Delany's not stupid! I realize its easier said than done but look at the guys who come here to post..something will break here but each passing month does make a fan wary. It'll happen and then the celebration will be on!!

Reaction Score
I think that you will see some good OOC games in the future....

VT, this year, will finish the H&H with Ohio State...and has Notre Dame, Penn State, Michigan, and Wisconsin inked in future.

Wisconsin will be opening with Bama (2015) and again with LSU (2016).

FSU will be opening with Ole Miss (2015) and Bama (2017).

Penn State and WVU meet for an H&H...I want to see this one.

Texas has an H&H with Notre Dame, USC, Ohio State, and LSU on the books.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We're already in an unrecoverable death spiral. UConn football was sold on playing the big boys, not receiving yearly whoopings from Army. It's over.

Reaction Score
We're already in an unrecoverable death spiral. UConn football was sold on playing the big boys, not receiving yearly whoopings from Army. It's over.
Louisville, Cincinnati and Memphis used to be conference mates with Army and survived.

Reaction Score
Louisville, Cincinnati and Memphis used to be conference mates with Army and survived.

Memphis also used to be in a conference with Florida State, Georgia Tech and South Carolina. Our boosters and administration decided we were a "basketball school." Associations do matter but leadership and performance matter more.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Time is our worst enemy, but time is also our only hope. In 5 years, if attendance is the same place where it is now, then Waquoit will be proven right and there will be no way out. If it's trending back up somehow, the door can still be open. I'm not as certain as Butch, I think both blind optimism (there's a secret B1G invite) and pessimism (if we don't get in the next P5 slot, like, tomorrow, we should shut down the football program) are unhealthy for the fanbase and could wind up further depressing attendance. So my hope is that Diaco gets the ship turned around first and foremost.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
So my hope is that Diaco gets the ship turned around first and foremost.
This is the biggest thing at the moment. It's also why last year's approach was borderline criminally insane, though I get the reasons why he did it. But now more than ever we need to have a pulse, some progress, anything positive. Our future really does depend on it.

I think we all agree that in a rational landscape, we can add value to the B1G or ACC. But the actors are rarely rational.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

But did they get their asses kicked and having their head coach saying he needed 2 weeks "to recover"?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Time is our worst enemy, but time is also our only hope. In 5 years, if attendance is the same place where it is now, then Waquoit will be proven right and there will be no way out. If it's trending back up somehow, the door can still be open. I'm not as certain as Butch, I think both blind optimism (there's a secret B1G invite) and pessimism (if we don't get in the next P5 slot, like, tomorrow, we should shut down the football program) are unhealthy for the fanbase and could wind up further depressing attendance. So my hope is that Diaco gets the ship turned around first and foremost.

It is too late for anything dramatic like slashing the football program to save basketball. We have rolled the dice on an ACC or B1G or Big 12 miracle invitation. If we don't get one soon, the athletic program is going to look VERY different in a few years.

Reaction Score
I think that you will see some good OOC games in the future....

VT, this year, will finish the H&H with Ohio State...and has Notre Dame, Penn State, Michigan, and Wisconsin inked in future.

Wisconsin will be opening with Bama (2015) and again with LSU (2016).

FSU will be opening with Ole Miss (2015) and Bama (2017).

Penn State and WVU meet for an H&H...I want to see this one.

Texas has an H&H with Notre Dame, USC, Ohio State, and LSU on the books.

Which is why I get so irritated at the people that said the previous BCS Championship provided for a perfect regular season. No it really didn't... September was pretty much non-existent. Everyone was afraid to play each other outside the league. This playoff has already created some great future match-ups in the non-conference. Games we almost never see are back on the slate. It's awesome to finally see schools schedule one another again.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Which is why I get so irritated at the people that said the previous BCS Championship provided for a perfect regular season. No it really didn't... September was pretty much non-existent. Everyone was afraid to play each other outside the league. This playoff has already created some great future match-ups in the non-conference. Games we almost never see are back on the slate. It's awesome to finally see schools schedule one another again.

x1000

The old system made the regular season meaningless. Now teams, and conferences, need to man up on scheduling, and you will see some big games in the preseason. Look at the first few weeks of the season. There are some great matchups, and they ALL matter because even the Iowa/Pitt game could be a factor if it is down to Ohio State vs. Florida State for the last bid to the playoffs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom