Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 86 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Agreed, dayooper. I understand, upon reflection, what you are saying. Thanks and take care,. Later.
Believe it or not i like and even understand you.....Im just tired of the ND police on every blog. Any perceived slight and you guys come out of the woodwork! TROUBLE is i know youz can't help it!!

Reaction Score
Believe it or not i like and even understand you.....Im just tired of the ND police on every blog. Any perceived slight and you guys come out of the woodwork! TROUBLE is i know youz can't help it!!

Test.....Rutgers just isn't that successful of an athletic program, actually waters down the Big Ten east.

(the cheese is on the trigger and in front of the hole)

Reaction Score
The identity cultivated is greed and self servitude. Our Lady of the Lake is all about independence for football because it doesn't want to share any of the money it derives from its football brand. Simultaneously, they're all about the conference for the sports they can't monetize. If Michigan, Alabama or Ohio State went "independent" they would collect a bigger paycheck, but they apply their identity in a more uniform way. Even UConn is taking it in the shorts for the good of the conference. Us average fans understand perfectly clear. . .

I somewhat agree though I would compare ND to U of M and Ohio State and not Alabama athletically. The Tide only supports 17 varsity sports it looks like - 7 men and 10 women's. One could argue that Alabama (and most of the SEC) first and only focus is football with some basic additional sports offered (basketball, baseball, and track) along with Title IX mandates. U of M sponsors 27 varsity sports - 13 men, 14 women. Ohio St offers 37 (holy shi!) - 18 men, 19 women. ND sponsors 24 - 12 men, 12 women. Those are football first schools, too; but, they do take other sports seriously and sponsor a true athletic department.

PS - UConn offers 22 varsity sports - 10 men, 12 women, which is comparable to the B1G and way out of alignment with the SEC along with XII and AAC.

Reaction Score
Interesting. Self reflection is always good. Do Big Ten folks realize this chalkboard thing when they incessantly brag about their TV contracts and BTN money, how smart Delany is, how they can pluck any school from anywhere, etc..etc...?

Another Big Ten quip, didn't see that coming so soon!

Reaction Score
I don't want to be seen as picking on Terry so let me say this: when Terry isn't predictably waxing about independence or obsessing about the Big Ten, I do value his posts. That may come across as backhanded, but it's really not. When Terry resists those two things, I enjoy reading his commentary and conversing with him.

To Billy Bud's comment earlier about detecting some anti-Notre Dame sentiment... you detect wrong. Other than being annoyed by exactly what I've stated, I don't really care one way or another about Notre Dame. Actually, I've been fond of Notre Dame's basketball program for a long time. While Mike Brey has been awful in the postseason, I like watching his teams play from a pure fundamentals/execution standpoint.

I think Dayooper said it best: The Big Ten, like all teams/leagues, has more than its share of arrogant fans. That's not in dispute.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
That...is a key tweet.

The biggest issue with the Big 12, aside from its puny footprint, is that the conference's value is so heavily-weighted with so few schools.

And that Texas is sociopathic.
Let's join it!

Reaction Score
I somewhat agree though I would compare ND to U of M and Ohio State and not Alabama athletically. The Tide only supports 17 varsity sports it looks like - 7 men and 10 women's. One could argue that Alabama (and most of the SEC) first and only focus is football with some basic additional sports offered (basketball, baseball, and track) along with Title IX mandates. U of M sponsors 27 varsity sports - 13 men, 14 women. Ohio St offers 37 (holy shi!) - 18 men, 19 women. ND sponsors 24 - 12 men, 12 women. Those are football first schools, too; but, they do take other sports seriously and sponsor a true athletic department.

PS - UConn offers 22 varsity sports - 10 men, 12 women, which is comparable to the B1G and way out of alignment with the SEC along with XII and AAC.

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you said, but I was referencing football independence for those three programs, and not comparing athletic programs.

Perhaps I was a little brash last night when I cracked open my laptop. Indeed, there is value in playing select schools in select regions to expand exposure, a la BYU. But, that's less of an issue today, and most likely isn't part of the mystical understanding that can only be unlocked by a ND fan.

Reaction Score
12 works well for schedule, but if you're in a league where teams only have a few real rivalries, I think 16 is better. In football, you have 3 teams you play every year, and you play everyone else every other year. In basketball, you play those same rivals twice and everyone else once. Seems pretty ideal to me.

Reaction Score
Hey, I wonder if anybody has thought of ND going to the Big10? Seems like a match made in heaven. Geography is right. Big10 has hockey and lacrosse. ND has hockey and lacrosse. Great traditional rivalries in Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, and the ability to play in Chicago. Now that the Big10 has an East Coast presence, they can recruit their general student population from their home region. If I remember correctly, Maryland was started as a Catholic colony, so that has to help.

The only issue I see is the lack of AAU so it might be a stretch. I wonder if the Big10 presidents would overlook that. My guess is they might, so let's get this done. ND and UConn to the Big10!
Congratulations you have become one of the Few Boneyard guests posters to ever win an AZHuskiePop award
The above post is a marvelous achievement.
It's the First annual:
"Poking The Bear Award "

PS Is ND still Catholic, I thought they were excommunicated when Obama was asked to be a guest speaker. I could be wrong about that.

Reaction Score
12 works well for schedule, but if you're in a league where teams only have a few real rivalries, I think 16 is better. In football, you have 3 teams you play every year, and you play everyone else every other year. In basketball, you play those same rivals twice and everyone else once. Seems pretty ideal to me.

I agree that 12, 16, or 20 works and those in between does not with conferences for football going to 'pods' for 16 and 20 teams. For a 20 team football conference, there would be 4 pods of 5 teams each. Thoughts on this type of a schedule?

1 games against each pod member = 4 games
1 game against a team from the other three pods on a rotating basis = 3 games
2 playoff games - top 8 teams are seeded and play quarterfinal & semi-final games at home of higher seed, other 12 teams are 1 home & 1 away game during same period = 2 games
1 Conference championship game at a neutral site = 1 game (optional)
2 or 3 non-conference games scheduled by individual schools = 2 or 3
Total games = 11 to 13.

Having TBD games is somewhat of a hassle and potential a revenue concern for some schools; but, if a school plays well, it gets 2 home playoff games. NY State HS football does this and it seems to work well.

Reaction Score
Let's join it!

Naaahhhh, let's just hold out hope your dream of Warde's secret discussions with the B1G come true sometime in the next 10 - 90 years. After all, the Big12 might implode and then where would we be? I just hope Warde is still alive to receive all the accolades he will no doubt get from you.

Reaction Score
I agree that 12, 16, or 20 works and those in between does not with conferences for football going to 'pods' for 16 and 20 teams. For a 20 team football conference, there would be 4 pods of 5 teams each. Thoughts on this type of a schedule?

1 games against each pod member = 4 games
1 game against a team from the other three pods on a rotating basis = 3 games
2 playoff games - top 8 teams are seeded and play quarterfinal & semi-final games at home of higher seed, other 12 teams are 1 home & 1 away game during same period = 2 games
1 Conference championship game at a neutral site = 1 game (optional)
2 or 3 non-conference games scheduled by individual schools = 2 or 3
Total games = 11 to 13.

Having TBD games is somewhat of a hassle and potential a revenue concern for some schools; but, if a school plays well, it gets 2 home playoff games. NY State HS football does this and it seems to work well.

The plan for the B1G is to eventually go to 9 conference games. If B1G expansion to 16 happens then with 16 teams you will have likely have 2 divisions of 8. You play the 7 teams in your division every year and then 2 from the other division rotating each year so you face each team in the other division once every 4 years. You then have the division winners face off in the B1G championship and then the championship winner hopefully off to the CFB playoff.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The plan for the B1G is to eventually go to 9 conference games. If B1G expansion to 16 happens then with 16 teams you will have likely have 2 divisions of 8. You play the 7 teams in your division every year and then 2 from the other division rotating each year so you face each team in the other division once every 4 years. You then have the division winners face off in the B1G championship and then the championship winner hopefully off to the CFB playoff.

That was the plan in the beginning, pre-playoff. The playoff puts a premium on winning non-conference games against good competition, so I would not be shocked if the Big 10 never got to 9 conference games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom