Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 940 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
SEC, Big Ten considering blockbuster scheduling agreement for college football's new frontier
Matt Hayes
USA TODAY NETWORK

The SEC and Big Ten are discussing a potential scheduling agreement that could lead to a significant increase in media rights revenue, further distancing the two super conferences from the rest of college football, four people with knowledge of the discussions told USA TODAY.

The people who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the conversations say the two super conferences could face off in as many as 12 to 16 regular-season nonconference games a year – or more – to determine the extent of the increase in media rights revenue.

The potential scheduling agreement is an answer to billions in lost revenue from the House legal case settlement of more than $2 billion to former players, and future revenue sharing with players of at least $20 million to $23 million annually beginning as soon as the 2025 season.

It’s also being done within an environment that clearly favors the two super conferences. Both have pulled away financially from the rest of the FBS conferences and would move further away with a nonconference scheduling agreement.

But the last thing the Big Ten and SEC want is the optics of collusion. It’s no coincidence that both brought legal teams to last week’s meetings to steer clear of those potential problems.

Reaction Score
It's this right here. They can do these big money games and earn even more cash because after this season they'll change the CFP so that each conference gets 2-3 autobids each
Make that 4 bids each and a 14 team playoff. B1G and SEC champ get byes. ACC, Big 12 and G5 get one automatic bid each and there will be 3 at large open to any conference, thus the SEC and B1G could get more than 4 teams in.

I think ND might have to join the ACC to have a better shot at the playoffs.

Reaction Score
SEC, Big Ten considering blockbuster scheduling agreement for college football's new frontier
Matt Hayes
USA TODAY NETWORK

The SEC and Big Ten are discussing a potential scheduling agreement that could lead to a significant increase in media rights revenue, further distancing the two super conferences from the rest of college football, four people with knowledge of the discussions told USA TODAY.

The people who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the conversations say the two super conferences could face off in as many as 12 to 16 regular-season nonconference games a year – or more – to determine the extent of the increase in media rights revenue.

The potential scheduling agreement is an answer to billions in lost revenue from the House legal case settlement of more than $2 billion to former players, and future revenue sharing with players of at least $20 million to $23 million annually beginning as soon as the 2025 season.

It’s also being done within an environment that clearly favors the two super conferences. Both have pulled away financially from the rest of the FBS conferences and would move further away with a nonconference scheduling agreement.

But the last thing the Big Ten and SEC want is the optics of collusion. It’s no coincidence that both brought legal teams to last week’s meetings to steer clear of those potential problems.

Why don't they just merge and get it over with? They can divide up into divisions just like the NFL.

Why even pretend at this point?

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
What eastern conference? They are closer to the MAC than the Sunbelt or others.
My point was that Buffalo, arguably Midwest, is still basically an eastern city and locals probably have more cultural ties to Toronto than Akron. It wasn’t a fully formed though admittedly; my brain was saying A10 and figure it out in football, but the A10 is pretty bad now. My dream of a northeastern low end G5 is continually dashed!

Reaction Score
John, hate to disagree with someone I respect, but building a football stadium in Storrs is not only possible, it is needed!
I just dont know how the infrastructure can support it. It would be great, but they need new roads for 195 and 44 aren’t gonna do for football traffic.

Remember, it’s CT, everything is a PIA in this state.

Reaction Score
Night be closer to the MLB model when the AL and NL had separate commisoners and slightly different rules.
interleague play killed that illusion of two distinct leagues .
As a kid you picked a side then argued who was better :
Williams vs Musial Hitter
Mantle vs Mays / Snyder CF
Rizzuto vs Reese SS
Ford vs Spahn Pitcher

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I just dont know how the infrastructure can support it. It would be great, but they need new roads for 195 and 44 aren’t gonna do for football traffic.

Remember, it’s CT, everything is a PIA in this state.
Lol, you have to be trolling. I refer you to virtually every football or conference realignment thread on this board ever. Blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah, six games a year, blah blah blah feathering traffic by tailgating, blah blah virtually very other school in the nation manages it without building a highway to the front gate… blah blah.

Reaction Score
Lol, you have to be trolling. I refer you to virtually every football or conference realignment thread on this board ever. Blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah, six games a year, blah blah blah feathering traffic by tailgating, blah blah virtually very other school in the nation manages it without building a highway to the front gate… blah blah.
Plus, it's only about an 8 mile stretch on Route 195 from campus to say Electric Blue e.g. with plenty of real estate along the way. Easily make it a 3 or 4 lane road with one-way options during game day.

Regarding scheduling, it seems some P2 would still want or need to play your Okie State, Oregon State, Washington State, Cal, Florida State, etc.

Reaction Score
Amazingly, 110,000 make it into Ann Arbor....not exactly the easiest place to get in and out of on a Tuesday.
I've been there. It is difficult in and out. But they have WAY more land, a golf course that people park on and it's a city.

I have been to dozens of stadiums and got stuck in traffic. Some are terrible (Rutgers awful) some are quite easy. But, they need just need to be able to build a traffic flow that can handle that influx and outflux. I am sure they can do it.

It's just money that isn't UConn's to spend. I am thinking 10 years might be the horizon to get this done.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
interleague play killed that illusion of two distinct leagues .
As a kid you picked a side then argued who was better :
Williams vs Musial Hitter
Mantle vs Mays / Snyder CF
Rizzuto vs Reese SS
Ford vs Spahn Pitcher

Right. But these two are going in the opposite direction of MLB. They'll kill off the NCAA and absorb all the smaller conferences. Use them like pro wrestling jobbers for the main teams on each side.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've been there. It is difficult in and out. But they have WAY more land, a golf course that people park on and it's a city.

I have been to dozens of stadiums and got stuck in traffic. Some are terrible (Rutgers awful) some are quite easy. But, they need just need to be able to build a traffic flow that can handle that influx and outflux. I am sure they can do it.

It's just money that isn't UConn's to spend. I am thinking 10 years might be the horizon to get this done.
Well, if you are doing the long troll, you've done it well enough for me to buy in. First, I don't know why people talk about this. We have Rentschler field in East Hartford as our home stadium. I suspect if all the decision-makers got a Mulligan on that we probably wouldn't do it again, but it is what it is and it's not changing in the near term. And what it is actually pretty nice. It's got great sight lines and great tailgating. It just happens to be 30 minutes too far west.

People complaining that it's too far for them to drive an extra half hour six times a year for a football game, but somehow it's not too far for students to drive that half hour six times a year always strikes me as incredibly ironic. Students are tomorrow's fan base. We should do everything we can to suck them in while we have them for four years. I think it's fairly indisputable that putting a stadium on campus maximizes the chance that you'll make fans of current students far more than having them having to get tickets for a bus two days before the game queue up and wait for the bus, drive a half hour and get dropped off in the middle of an airfield. The East Hartford Stadium is very much a reactionary result of not being able to seal the deal and bring the patriots to Hartford. It never made any sense.

The other thing that fascinates me is how people promote a mythology that if we actually build a stadium in Storrs, Connecticut, It will somehow trigger Armageddon. Yet, virtually every other college in America manages to do it without building a super highway to the front gate. That is the whole reason behind tailgating. You feather your traffic coming in and you feather your leaving. It would be pretty easy to do that without any major infrastructure changes in Storrs.

You mentioned Rutgers. I've been to many games there. The only time I've waited in line is weeknight night games because that's pretty much the only time that everyone is exiting at the same time. Even then, traffic moved pretty smoothly. Rutgers dedicates two-lane roads temporarily in one direction to empty the stadium. It works pretty efficiently. Similarly, I've been to a lot of games at Westpoint and have never waited even a minute to get out because I either have tailgate options, or I just walk around campus a little bit, tour, them monuments, etc. It's all the lemmings that are rushing out at the end of the third quarter that get stuck in traffic. That works for me.

But again, doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to talk about this as often as we do. The next time there will be a decision point will be whenever it is necessary to dump in significant money into the Rent. Say, nine figures. At that point it makes sense to consider whether it is a better use to apply that money to building an on-campus stadium. Until then, why bother?

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I can’t fathom getting 40k into stores for a football game and tailgate. Impossible .

That’s because you’re from Connecticut and your single greatest fear on planet earth is traffic, even though your superpower is creating traffic from thin air on perfectly straight highways in the middle of nowhere.

Reaction Score
That’s because you’re from Connecticut and your single greatest fear on planet earth is traffic, even though your superpower is creating traffic from thin air on perfectly straight highways in the middle of nowhere.
I am for a stadium there, eventually.

When you hit CT traffic all you do is complain!

But, traffic sucks in CT. It crushes your soul and will to live. Friend of mine works in Storrs, yesterday from Storrs to Farmington home it was nearly 2 hours. There was some accident or something. That is extreme. But a 40 minute ride shouldn’t take 80 minutes. I have grown to loathe going east of the river.

One jackass in a car can ruin the day for thousands here.

Reaction Score
Well, if you are doing the long troll, you've done it well enough for me to buy in. First, I don't know why people talk about this. We have Rentschler field in East Hartford as our home stadium. I suspect if all the decision-makers got a Mulligan on that we probably wouldn't do it again, but it is what it is and it's not changing in the near term. And what it is actually pretty nice. It's got great sight lines and great tailgating. It just happens to be 30 minutes too far west.

People complaining that it's too far for them to drive an extra half hour six times a year for a football game, but somehow it's not too far for students to drive that half hour six times a year always strikes me as incredibly ironic. Students are tomorrow's fan base. We should do everything we can to suck them in while we have them for four years. I think it's fairly indisputable that putting a stadium on campus maximizes the chance that you'll make fans of current students far more than having them having to get tickets for a bus two days before the game queue up and wait for the bus, drive a half hour and get dropped off in the middle of an airfield. The East Hartford Stadium is very much a reactionary result of not being able to seal the deal and bring the patriots to Hartford. It never made any sense.

The other thing that fascinates me is how people promote a mythology that if we actually build a stadium in Storrs, Connecticut, It will somehow trigger Armageddon. Yet, virtually every other college in America manages to do it without building a super highway to the front gate. That is the whole reason behind tailgating. You feather your traffic coming in and you feather your leaving. It would be pretty easy to do that without any major infrastructure changes in Storrs.

You mentioned Rutgers. I've been to many games there. The only time I've waited in line is weeknight night games because that's pretty much the only time that everyone is exiting at the same time. Even then, traffic moved pretty smoothly. Rutgers dedicates two-lane roads temporarily in one direction to empty the stadium. It works pretty efficiently. Similarly, I've been to a lot of games at Westpoint and have never waited even a minute to get out because I either have tailgate options, or I just walk around campus a little bit, tour, them monuments, etc. It's all the lemmings that are rushing out at the end of the third quarter that get stuck in traffic. That works for me.

But again, doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to talk about this as often as we do. The next time there will be a decision point will be whenever it is necessary to dump in significant money into the Rent. Say, nine figures. At that point it makes sense to consider whether it is a better use to apply that money to building an on-campus stadium. Until then, why bother?
I was semi trolling. I am for the campus stadium, eventually.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom