Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 938 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This proposal is nonsense.

For over 20 years I have been telling the Boneyard that the entire college sports enterprise, as structured through the conferences, is an anti-trust violation, and until about 3 years ago almost everyone on this board, including several lawyers, argued with me about it. Who turned out to be right? Has the NCAA or P4/5 ever won a serious anti-trust case? This House case is a surrender before they even go to court.

The SEC and Big 10's power play makes their anti-trust problem worse, not better. They have two choices: 1) come to an accommodation with colleges that allows for some kind of competitive parity, or 2) stay in their anti-competitive posture which will result in them getting hammered in court and potentially destroying college sports as an entertainment industry.

I know which I would choose if I were them.

Reaction Score
No way B12 or ACC are top basketball conference without UConn as a member!
There is a difference between being the best conference which arguably is the ACC on a year in year out basis and having the best team in any given year. It isn’t a perfect measure but if you look a Final Fours, the ACC seems to have teams almost every year. And it isn’t just 1 team. UNC, Duke, Virginia, Miami, Syracuse and NC State have all made the final four. The last 10 tournaments,2014-2024 no 2020, ACC teams have made the Final Four 7 times. They have had 2 teams make it twice, and 6 different teams got there. 3 different teams have won the title. That suggests a league that is deep in quality on regular basis.

In any given year a conference can be up or down, but I think NCAA tournament final four runs by multiple teams indicates that the league is deeper than others.

Being the best league does not mean you have the best team. Over that same period UConn it could be argued was the best team. Even if it was playing in lesser conferences. Nobody would argue that the AAC > ACC. Even the biggest NEWBE fans would be hard pressed to argue that it is superior to the ACC, though no doubt some would try. I am not sold on the Big 12. It is also a bit tricky to evaluate them. Oklahoma made the Final Four from the B12 but isn’t there any more. Houston made it from the AAC but is now in the B12. But I don’t think it is as good as the ACC. In any given year, sure, but over time, the ACC is still #1.

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
The knee-jerk defense of every failure:
"Well we did all we could."

How do we know that? Well, because something we wanted to happen didn't happen and claiming that you "did all you could" sounds better than "we were not successful."

I'm not saying Dave could've done more, I'm just saying a sad face with the quote "we did all we could" is the family crest of failure.
What do you do when the girl says that she doesn’t want to go out with you?

Reaction Score
The knee-jerk defense of every failure:
"Well we did all we could."

How do we know that? Well, because something we wanted to happen didn't happen and claiming that you "did all you could" sounds better than "we were not successful."

I'm not saying Dave could've done more, I'm just saying a sad face with the quote "we did all we could" is the family crest of failure.
Add to that to paraphrase, it was an honor to be nominated.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Having been married for 36 years now, I may not be the best guy for you to turn to for dating advice, but good luck to you!
IMG_20241010_204559.jpg

Reaction Score
Maybe, but between now and then it's a license to print money
Is it? It is already spent and budgeted. It isn’t really new revenue. They are losing subscribers, so they increase customer base, but it is still declining.

Raw money is helpful, but this is like a corporations that acquire a bunch of companies through acquisition to showcase revenue growth.

You are essentially buying growth.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Is it? It is already spent and budgeted. It isn’t really new revenue. They are losing subscribers, so they increase customer base, but it is still declining.

Raw money is helpful, but this is like a corporations that acquire a bunch of companies through acquisition to showcase revenue growth.

You are essentially buying growth.
Which is it, is it spent or is it budgeted, or is it both?

What I think you're suggesting is that over time this may no longer be a viable revenue stream. That may well be true. My point is simply between now and then, it is.

Reaction Score
Which is it, is it spent or is it budgeted, or is it both?

What I think you're suggesting is that over time this may no longer be a viable revenue stream. That may well be true. My point is simply between now and then, it is.
It’s a college —- budgeted is spent! Lol.

I get what you are saying. But these schools are still starved for cash. Whatever they bring in, they send out. So, at $150m in revenue, they will spend it 2-3 years after they get it.

Next thing you know, they will be on hunt for more money.

Reaction Score

It’s depressing that we (the coach) need to beg people to get to this game. My conspiracy connecting the dots mind thinks the big 12 is looking for attendance numbers to increase.

We need more people at the games. There are a lot of reasons attendance has suffered. With a week off, I think it will be fun. Hard to do so many weeks in a row.

Reaction Score
Was this game always a noon kickoff? I swear it was a 3:30 game. I’m disappointed. I have to go to the funeral of my aunt at 11am and presumably a reception after. I’ve been thinking it was 3:30 all along. Even saved it in my phone at some point.

Reaction Score
We need more people at the games. There are a lot of reasons attendance has suffered. With a week off, I think it will be fun. Hard to do so many weeks in a row.
Yeah a march of 6 straight is tough because I can see a lot of middle aged people have to pick and choose which weekends with their spouses and whatnot

Reaction Score
Took advantage of the e-mail over the weekend offering bogo tickets. Older son & his bride have the weekend off together & want to attend their 2nd game of the season. Two more for the tailgate crew!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom