Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 928 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
So, if they bring in Gonzaga as a full, as full as can be anyway, and bring in UConn as a football only, would that constitute a full member for the PAC.

Reactions: TKs

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I can’t understand why they didn’t simply merge the two conferences by dissolving the MWC and then invite all of them to join the pac. There were 4 schools they didn’t want I guess. So make a deal with those. I dunno it seems like this should’ve been easier.

Everyone in the Pac-12 found a new home except OSU and Wazzou. Goes to show how expensive it is to keep the bottom dwellers of a conference and how little value those bottom dwellers have when a conference is dissected piece by piece.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I'd have to imagine this is good for us. It leaves them more desperate for a "brand" and they probably only want to add one more full member if they can get Gonzaga for basketball and us for football.
They have to add one more full sports member first. Let's hope that Texas State says no, and UTEP says yes. IMO, that is best case scenario.

Reaction Score
I'd have to imagine this is good for us. It leaves them more desperate for a "brand" and they probably only want to add one more full member if they can get Gonzaga for basketball and us for football.
“Want” to only add one more member or “can’t”?

PAC needs one more full member and MWC needs two. Where are all these programs gonna come from? Western block of Sun Belt I guess? Are they gonna wanna leave to join the giant cluster that these two leagues have created?

Move up a bunch of FCS schools?

What a mess.

shizzle787

Reaction Score

PAC needs one more full member and MWC needs two. Where are all these programs gonna come from? Western block of Sun Belt I guess? Are they gonna wanna leave to join the giant cluster that these two leagues have created?

What a mess.
The Pac-12 will not add an FCS program. They will target Texas State and then likely UTEP.

Reaction Score
The Pac-12 will not add an FCS program. They will target Texas State and then likely UTEP.

My point was there are 3 vacancies between the two conferences. There are only so many bodies to go around. Unless the Sun Belt gets blown up (hey….could happen) and/or FCS gets involved I don’t think either conference will be able to get much past 8-10. Which would be good for us.

UTEP or Texas St…..I’d prefer Texas St if we end up in PAC as well. Much easier to fly into than El Paso. May as well expand into Chihuahua, Mexico at that point.

Reaction Score

What a mess.
Sun belt is definitely getting raided. If the new PAC performs well then we will probably see more MWC schools defect in a few years, depending on what their agreement looks like.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Why do you hope UTEP > Texas St? Texas St has way more upside imo
UTEP has a bigger brand historically and they have a fanbase. They regularly get over 40,000 to games at the Sun Bowl. Also, if we have to do a scheduling agreement for basketball, UTEP is much preferred over Texas State.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
My point was there are 3 vacancies between the two conferences. There are only so many bodies to go around. Unless the Sun Belt gets blown up (hey….could happen) and/or FCS gets involved I don’t think either conference will be able to get much past 8-10. Which would be good for us.

UTEP or Texas St…..I’d prefer Texas St if we end up in PAC as well. Much easier to fly into than El Paso. May as well expand into Chihuahua, Mexico at that point.
Sure. I don’t see either going much past 10. 8 is too small though, especially for basketball.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UTEP or Texas St…..I’d prefer Texas St if we end up in PAC as well. Much easier to fly into than El Paso. May as well expand into Chihuahua, Mexico at that point
For what it's worth, the big 12 had a plan to expand into Mexico...

Reaction Score
UTEP has a bigger brand historically and they have a fanbase. They regularly get over 40,000 to games at the Sun Bowl. Also, if we have to do a scheduling agreement for basketball, UTEP is much preferred over Texas State.
They averaged 18.2k fans last year and they have had one game with 40k or more fans in the past decade.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Shhhhh don’t let facts get in the way. Shizzle is cooking
They averaged 18.2k fans last year and they have had one game with 40k or more fans in the past decade.
They literally had 41,000 two weeks ago against FCS Southern Utah... and over 40,000 for North Texas only two years ago.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I would also add they are part of U. Texas, so that's not nothing.
And UTEP will bring the El Paso metro area which is about 700,000 people. San Marcos is smaller, and although they're likely considered part of the Austin metro, I'm guessing folks in Austin only care about a team with two horns on the helmet...

Reaction Score
Everyone in the Pac-12 found a new home except OSU and Wazzou. Goes to show how expensive it is to keep the bottom dwellers of a conference and how little value those bottom dwellers have when a conference is dissected piece by piece.
Yeah and I guess that goes to the whole idea behind realignment. These “legacy” conferences were made when college sports wasn’t entirely about money.

Reaction Score
They literally had 41,000 two weeks ago against FCS Southern Utah... and over 40,000 for North Texas only two years ago.
So, 2 games in 10 years and an average of 18.2k fans last year. That is not "regularly" get over 40k fans.

Reaction Score

UTEP has nothing. NOTHING.

Those attendance figures are just tickets distributed.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score

What a mess.
Three slots; there's three CUSA/Sun Belt teams (Texas State, UTEP, NMSU). I would imagine some combination of the above will go. Doesn't necessarily preclude a UConn move

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom