Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 927 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Because it is getting harder and harder to schedule games especially in Oct and Nov with many conferences going to 9 conference games.

With the Pac-12, we would get at minimal 8 games scheduled each year. In addition, a share of FB only payout from the Pac-12 will be much more than what we are getting now as an independent.
I'm well aware of all those factors, but Uconn doesn't need to beg in this scenario, like in it's CR past. As some of these PAC 12 newbies who hate on Uconn FB, would like you to believe. This needs to be a calculated leverage play by AD DB this time around as he still can play it off as he's holding some of the cards. ( which he is, Yormark love us ;))

On a side note wouldn't it be ironic if both Dan Hurley and Jim Mora joined the Uconn AD only to end up later in a conference vs. some of their college rivals.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I mean Ole Miss, the school we have a home and home with in 26/27.
Best Uniforms in college football. Also currently #6.

I'd be bummed with football in the Pac if it was bigger than it is, but it seems we'd have some room on the schedule for other games.

Reaction Score
Best Uniforms in college football. Also currently #6.

I'd be bummed with football in the Pac if it was bigger than it is, but it seems we'd have some room on the schedule for other games.
Which also means if the Pac wants to expand further, we'd most likely be against it because we'd be asked to trade a couple of OOC regional opponents for additional middling west coast ones. I think what we'd want out of this scenario - a seven-game conference football slate that we can supplement with not-too-distant opponents - is contingent on the conference standing pat after we join, and that's a lot to ask.

Reaction Score
UConn is not going to be the 8th member. They need 8 football + all sports members to count for the FB autobid. Gonzaga/UConn (or Hawaii, etc) doesn’t get it done.

UConn would be #9 if something happened giving them an 8 game conference slate and guaranteeing all members 4 home football games a year (vs 3 then 4 in alternating years).

Reaction Score
Which also means if the Pac wants to expand further, we'd most likely be against it because we'd be asked to trade a couple of OOC regional opponents for additional middling west coast ones. I think what we'd want out of this scenario - a seven-game conference football slate that we can supplement with not-too-distant opponents - is contingent on the conference standing pat after we join, and that's a lot to ask.
I think the most we will be asked to play is 9 conference games like many other conferences now. At worst, it will be 5 away games plus 4 home games during every other year. I think that's worth it just for football. It will be a few extra hours of flying each day, but once you are on the plane you are on the plane.

Reaction Score
I don't see the Pac-12 wanting us for football only. Would be like a Distributor getting Coca-Cola and only being allowed to sell Powerade.

Reaction Score
I think it's definitely better than being independent. Scheduling would be easier, you have a conference championship to play for and a CFP autobid. Even without the money it's better than what we've got.
I think the CFP is questionable because I've heard different things about when it was due to expire, but I certainly agree with everything else you said...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
UConn is not going to be the 8th member. They need 8 football + all sports members to count for the FB autobid. Gonzaga/UConn (or Hawaii, etc) doesn’t get it done.

UConn would be #9 if something happened giving them an 8 game conference slate and guaranteeing all members 4 home football games a year (vs 3 then 4 in alternating years).
They aren't guaranteed to get the autobid back no matter what. They might not. Had they poached the AAC and MWC more successfully it was more likely. Now they just need an 8th team to be an FBS conference at all.

Reaction Score
Moving to Pac 12 makes me nervous. If the money makes sense yes otherwise suck it up and keep winning independently.

Reaction Score
Several of those future dates will probably be canceled within the next year.
With all of the conference realignment going on right now, scheduling should not be a problem in the next few years. Heck, Washington St. and Oregon St. need games for next year. That said, I think UConn needs to play in a conference with access to the CFP money and with bowl tie ins. I'm not excited by the Pac 12 and I would prefer a scheduling arrangement and I don't want to mess up the possibility of joining the ACC or Big 12 so I definitely don't want to sign up for 5 years in the Pac 12.

Reaction Score
I think the most we will be asked to play is 9 conference games like many other conferences now. At worst, it will be 5 away games plus 4 home games during every other year. I think that's worth it just for football. It will be a few extra hours of flying each day, but once you are on the plane you are on the plane.
I'm not thinking about it in terms of travel distance for road games. I'm thinking about it in terms of wanting to schedule opponents who interest our fan base more, especially for home games. Being able to arrange home-and-homes with Syracuse, BC, Pitt, Duke, etc. has the potential to attract butts to seats that don't get filled for Florida Atlantic and Rice, and won't get filled for UNLV and Utah State. But I suppose a 9-game limit would leave enough room for a home cupcake (probably UMass every other year), and one or two home games with power conference schools.

Reaction Score
I'm not thinking about it in terms of travel distance for road games. I'm thinking about it in terms of wanting to schedule opponents who interest our fan base more, especially for home games. Being able to arrange home-and-homes with Syracuse, BC, Pitt, Duke, etc. has the potential to attract butts to seats that don't get filled for Florida Atlantic and Rice, and won't get filled for UNLV and Utah State. But I suppose a 9-game limit would leave enough room for a home cupcake (probably UMass every other year), and one or two home games with power conference schools.
Ultimately, not sure this works for all parties…. My mindset is let the process work. If something materializes that could help UConn fine. Doesn’t seem like something worth pursuing heavily.

Reaction Score
I’m a little torn as far as schedule goes. I think the PAC would offer a tough schedule that is better than the AAC and more interesting too. I’m just not sure how fans will feel about it. I’m a football fan, so I can identify it as a good conference with strong programs. I’m not sure if casual fans would or not. The nice thing is when you say Washington St, Oregon St , Utah St etc., it sounds a lot more big time than East Carolina or Tulane to a non-fan.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand why the P4 would care. I’d assume they’d just force the G5 leagues to dilute their playoff distribution by the number of newly elevated programs.

Reaction Score

I don’t think that is right. I think 8 members in all sports except football to be a conference then 8 football teams to get the G5 bid.

Reaction Score
I can’t understand why they didn’t simply merge the two conferences by dissolving the MWC and then invite all of them to join the pac. There were 4 schools they didn’t want I guess. So make a deal with those. I dunno it seems like this should’ve been easier.
MWC commish/schools wanted a gigantic slice of the PAC buyout money (from B1G and B12 defectors) to work with Oregon St and Wazzu. Oregon St and Wazzu then thought might as well just buy the top of the MWC, make a play at the AAC, and let the MWC fall apart and pick up the pieces if needed. MWC commish doesn't want to lose her job and the bottom part of the MWC doesn't want to be left behind so they fight to keep the conference alive. Ultimately it ends with both conferences and all the schools being compromised (except maybe Air Force and UNLV with this huge retention bonus).

At this point I think it probably makes more sense for the majority of the schools to wipe the slate clean, agree to a reasonable reverse merger (some PAC buyout money is distributed and Oregon St and Wazzu keep a fair share), and everybody sucks it up. Though it looks like that won't happen, which is seemingly great news for UConn football!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom