Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 925 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
There's really no downside to it if it were to happen.

We would keep the current Big East money, and we would add a pro-rated Pac12 paycheck. Furthermore, it would solve 8 of our 12 games for scheduling purposes (or 7 of 12 depending on which tweet you believe).

Any move to the Pac12 would likely only last until the next realignment. But it's a good football home while the musical chairs plays out...
Yep as long as there's a minimal exit fee. We also would get CFB playoff money and technically have a shot at the playoff however unlikely it is that ever becomes a problem

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Can you give a reason why? It's money and some decent teams to play. Travel will be minimal.

1) Might mean our discussions with the B12 and ACC have really come to an impasse. Of course, I suppose we could sign up for P12 Football only with no GOR/no exit fee for any B12/ACC move...if they would allow it. I want to see what happens this Feb with the ACC/ESPN extension first.

2) Our current independent schedule allows us to build a schedule that has winnable G5 games and also 4 to 5 Power Conf measurement games a year. This year MIGHT play out they way we always intended, winnable schedule to get the recruiting/fanbase mojo restarted, yet also a few reach games. For right now we need to schedule to win.

3) Recruiting... This could work or could be a big fail....seems really high risk though.

Pro:
Great memes
Small boost in our tv $
Slightly improved CFP odds/$

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
There's really no downside to it if it were to happen.

We would keep the current Big East money, and we would add a pro-rated Pac12 paycheck. Furthermore, it would solve 8 of our 12 games for scheduling purposes (or 7 of 12 depending on which tweet you believe).

Any move to the Pac12 would likely only last until the next realignment. But it's a good football home while the musical chairs plays out...
But we don't have a scheduling problem. Our schedule is beautiful....designed to win.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
But we don't have a scheduling problem. Our schedule is beautiful....designed to win.

I don't mind being designed to win, because it helps change the national perception of us. But I also know that playing Oregon State in The Rent will likely draw a lot more folks than playing FAU, especially if it's considered a conference game...

Reaction Score
1) Might mean our discussions with the B12 and ACC have really come to an impasse. Of course, I suppose we could sign up for P12 Football only with no GOR/no exit fee for any B12/ACC move...if they would allow it. I want to see what happens this Feb with the ACC/ESPN extension first.

2) Our current independent schedule allows us to build a schedule that has winnable G5 games and also 4 to 5 Power Conf measurement games a year. This year MIGHT play out they way we always intended, winnable schedule to get the recruiting/fanbase mojo restarted, yet also a few reach games. For right now we need to schedule to win.

3) Recruiting... This could work or could be a big fail....seems really high risk though.

Pro:
Great memes
Small boost in our tv $
#1 just comes down to the exit fee. If it's $15m or less than it's a no brainier.

Money wouldn't just be slightly higher. It would be significantly higher. What do we get now? $1m from CBS? If this was $4-$6 plus CFB playoff money then we're golden. It also grants us bowl access beyond "whatever we might get"

I don't see how it hurts recruiting at all. A home is better than no home. It also leaves us free to schedule 4 winnable local games a year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

oh my god it's happening

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

If Gonzaga is getting a full share as a basketball only, we should get a full share as a football only

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't mind being designed to win, because it helps change the national perception of us
As the school that accepted the offer that virtually everyone else turned down?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

This is great. They could have just merged the PAC and MWC which would have been a pretty good conference. Instead they tried to swing some absolute best of the rest and got denied by the AAC programs. Amateurs!

How the fudge did this silly slap fight between a bunch of mid-majors in the mountains boomerang right into our nuts?

Funniest thing I've read in a while!

Cracking Up Lol GIF by reactionseditor

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I don't mind being designed to win, because it helps change the national perception of us. But I also know that playing Oregon State in The Rent will likely draw a lot more folks than playing FAU, especially if it's considered a conference game...
I don't think so... Purdue, Illinois, Syracuse and BC have all come through and have generated relatively modest attendance impacts. Granted, those our OOC games, but they are also big brands and/or local rivals.

We need winning...winning boosts recruiting...winning boosts fan interest. And then the ball is rolling. Our current set up is well designed for winning...we just got to do it and we might be about to start.

I fear going down the P12 path might quickly derail this momentum. I don't have first hand experience with recruiting...I don't know what parents/kids really want....can Mora sell this? IDK.

But if we can get:
1) no GOR
2) $5M+ per year for football only
3) capped at 7 conf games (so we can control the other 5)
4) some $ to fund all our football scheduling contract breakage fees (we will have many!)
5) fair access to CFB $ & bowls

then maybe you go for it anyway.

Reaction Score

Pro:
Great memes
Small boost in our tv $

We need bowl tie ins and something to play for. Independence is an infertile rocky place where our seed can find no purchase.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
As the school that excepted the offer that virtually everyone else turned down?
No, I said I don't mind the current schedule we have already built, because it is full of matchups that would be considered "winnable" and we can start to put up strong numbers.

My point was that a schedule with the new Pac12 would be stronger and would put more butts in the seats, even if we take a couple more losses in the process...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I don't think so... Purdue, Illinois, Syracuse and BC have all come through and have generated relatively modest attendance impacts. Granted, those our OOC games, but they are also big brands and/or local rivals.

We need winning...winning boosts recruiting...winning boosts fan interest. And then the ball is rolling. Our current set up is well designed for winning...we just got to do it and we might be about to start.

I fear going down the P12 path might quickly derail this momentum. I don't have first hand experience with recruiting...I don't know what parents/kids really want....can Mora sell this? IDK.

But if we can get:
1) no GOR
4) some $ to fund all our football scheduling contract breakage fees (we will have many!)

Mora can sell a football schedule that allows players to get exposure on both coasts and in all time zones (presumably our 4 OOC games would be east coast games).

And remember, he can expand his recruiting footprint based on the aforementioned geographic expansion. He can also expand his influence in the transfer portal, which appears to be even more important nowadays...

Reaction Score

But if we can get:
1) no GOR

2026 & 2027 aren't exactly cakewalk schedules. There would be 3-4 tough games a year. Nothing wrong with that.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I don't know what parents/kids really want....can Mora sell this? IDK.
I was assuming parents and kids just want NIL if they can't get into a P4. Too cynical?

Reaction Score
Mora can sell a football schedule that allows players to get exposure on both coasts and in all time zones (presumably our 4 OOC games would be east coast games).

And remember, he can expand his recruiting footprint based on the aforementioned geographic expansion. He can also expand his influence in the transfer portal, which appears to be even more important nowadays...
I think it would be great for the portal. It would allow us to cast a wide net

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
And after his time at UCLA as a coach, he might be able to revive some old recruiting grounds with the promise that we play in San Diego, Fresno, Etc...

Reaction Score
And after his time at UCLA as a coach, he might be able to revive some old recruiting grounds with the promise that we play in San Diego, Fresno, Etc...
Yeah it's not like we need to keep playing games in the north east for recruiting... We don't want to lock down this footprint. We'd still be getting six home games, it's not like that would change.

Utah State - H
Fresno State- A
Boise State - H
San Diego State - A
Oregon State - H
Washington State - A
Colorado State - H
UNLV - A
UMass - H
Buffalo - A
Temple - H
BC - A

Is that travel really that bad? Is having 3 games in the region of Southern California really a bad thing?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
#1 just comes down to the exit fee. If it's $15m or less than it's a no brainier.

Money wouldn't just be slightly higher. It would be significantly higher. What do we get now? $1m from CBS? If this was $4-$6 plus CFB playoff money then we're golden. It also grants us bowl access beyond "whatever we might get"

I don't see how it hurts recruiting at all. A home is better than no home. It also leaves us free to schedule 4 winnable local games a year.

But if we stumble in this thing like we stumbled in the AAC then our B12/ACC candidacy takes another back seat. I see this P12 football only thing as the backup QB everyone wants off the bench.

We run a 55M deficit, adding a net 5M after travel isn't going to matter if we can't compete and/or generate local fan interest. This conf wont be much better than the AAC at the time we played in the AAC....and our fan base hated that (todays AAC is much worse, granted).
Rural OR, rural WA, Idaho, Fresno and rural Utah....yeah - one helleva special tour....definitely better than most other options out there. Definitely something special to offer.

I respect you and @UConnDan97 - so I don't plan to keep this going.

Reaction Score
But if we stumble in this thing like we stumbled in the AAC then our B12/ACC candidacy takes another back seat. I see this P12 football only thing as the backup QB everyone wants off the bench.

We run a 55M deficit, adding a net 5M after travel isn't going to matter if we can't compete and/or generate local fan interest. This conf wont be much better than the AAC at the time we played in the AAC....and our fan base hated that (todays AAC is much worse, granted).

Rural OR, rural WA, Idaho, Fresno and rural Utah....yeah - one helleva special tour....definitely better than most other options out there. Definitely something special to offer.

I don't see any way this impedes our efforts at getting into the ACC or Big XII. That doesn't make any sense.

People hated the AAC because of basketball. This doesn't have that problem.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

Your first mistake was respecting me... ;)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
We need bowl tie ins and something to play for. Independence is an infertile rocky place where our seed can find no purchase.
I feel like that is exactly what everyone said when we left the AAC to become independent. And the AAC we left is about the same quality as this proposed conf.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom