Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 777 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
People need to realize this is the Big East tv deal not UConn tv deal. It’s as much about what UConn is worth as it’s about what DePaul and Butler are worth.

Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Utah, Stanford etc were going to get 20 million for streaming basketball AND football . If you think Butler basketball is going to get 7 million and be on Fox or FS1 every game you are a damn fool.

Reaction Score
The new business model has schools like SMU forgoing any revenue to get into conference. Even if UConn is able to get into a conference - there won't be much money available.Mens and Women's Basketball will probably be fine.
Football and Olympic sports will struggle to find funding.

Reaction Score
People need to realize this is the Big East tv deal not UConn tv deal. It’s as much about what UConn is worth as it’s about what DePaul and Butler are worth.

Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Utah, Stanford etc were going to get 20 million for streaming basketball AND football . If you think Butler basketball is going to get 7 million and be on Fox or FS1 every game you are a damn fool.
I have gone through the math before, so I will give an abbreviated explanation. The SEC, ACC, and Big 10 put the vast majority of their basketball games on their conference networks. The Pac 12 does as well. When people compare other conference TV contracts and ratings with the Big East TV contract and ratings, they miss a key point. All of the Big East games are shown on a linear channel (vast majority on FOX/FS1) and a minority of the SEC, ACC, and Big 10 basketball games are. So, schools like Michigan St., Michigan, Ohio St., Kentucky, Alabama, Duke, North Carolina (higher ratings) will be shown more on the main networks and the lower visibility schools (lower ratings) will get more of their games on the conference network. So the Big East is offering FOX probably triple the inventory that other conferences would. That is valuable. Will the new BE contract be $7 million per school? I don't know, but if 20% of a P5 media deal is for basketball with much less inventory is worth $6 to $14 million, I don't think $7 million is a crazy number for more inventory.

The Big 12, so far, has the majority of their basketball inventory shown on ESPN+ as ESPN needs paying subscribers for ESPN+ which is their growth engine and ESPN does not have the capacity to show all of the Big 12 games. Going forward, it's unclear how many B12 basketball games will be shown on linear channels as the contract will be split by ESPN and FOX, but ESPN will show the Big 12 conference championship.

Reaction Score
As a National brand we need to demand a larger portion of the next TV contract. No way schools like PC, Butler, Seton Hall, Marquette, etc. should get anywhere near the TV payout UConn deserves. We drive the TV ratings in the Big East!

Reaction Score
As a National brand we need to demand a larger portion of the next TV contract. No way schools like PC, Butler, Seton Hall, Marquette, etc. should get anywhere near the TV payout UConn deserves. We drive the TV ratings in the Big East!
Marquette?

Reaction Score
The new business model has schools like SMU forgoing any revenue to get into conference. Even if UConn is able to get into a conference - there won't be much money available.Mens and Women's Basketball will probably be fine.
SMU is getting home games with ACC teams that could be a boost in season tickets and prices.
They were getting about $6,000,000 from the AAC so that number is not astronomical.
If they get a share of Playoff money they're ahead of the game.
Yes they have to make an investment to be competitive but they have deep pocket investors willing to pony up.
as for the big east my prediction for the new media deal was a cut from the the $4,000,000 until UConn was added ,now it will be no more than an inflation adjustment of <$5,000,000
The real value to BB is the tournament
Media deals are nice but only the Big East has one that pays anything but Basketball Conferences will need a bigger. share of their tourney to survive.

Reaction Score
With SMU’s boosters, money almost doesn’t matter, They want to be as close as possible to the top level and are willing to pay to get there.

Reaction Score
SMU is getting home games with ACC teams that could be a boost in season tickets and prices.
Here's who SMU plays most over the next 7 years:

Cal 7x
Stanford 7x
BC 4x
Syracuse 4x
GT 4x
Louisville 4x

Sure, they will have some home games with Clemson and FSU, but I don't think the ACC schedule will move the needle that much over the LT. Look at the last 2 years. SMU has had >30k fans for 1 game, against a local school TCU. In 2022, they had 26.5k for Lamar, 35.6k for TCU, 24.8k for Navy, 23.6k for Cincy, 23.8k for Houston, and 15.8k for Memphis. And, those numbers are inflated. You would have thought with that home schedule that they would have sold more season tickets coming off an 8-4 season....nope. If SMU was going to the Big 12 and playing Houston/TCU/Baylor/Texas Tech/Oklahoma St., that would have helped attendance.

SMU does not have a large fan base at all and they are an afterthought in Dallas/Texas even during the Pony Express time period. What they do have is wealthy alumni.

Reaction Score
I have gone through the math before, so I will give an abbreviated explanation. The SEC, ACC, and Big 10 put the vast majority of their basketball games on their conference networks. The Pac 12 does as well. When people compare other conference TV contracts and ratings with the Big East TV contract and ratings, they miss a key point. All of the Big East games are shown on a linear channel (vast majority on FOX/FS1) and a minority of the SEC, ACC, and Big 10 basketball games are. So, schools like Michigan St., Michigan, Ohio St., Kentucky, Alabama, Duke, North Carolina (higher ratings) will be shown more on the main networks and the lower visibility schools (lower ratings) will get more of their games on the conference network. So the Big East is offering FOX probably triple the inventory that other conferences would. That is valuable. Will the new BE contract be $7 million per school? I don't know, but if 20% of a P5 media deal is for basketball with much less inventory is worth $6 to $14 million, I don't think $7 million is a crazy number for more inventory.

The Big 12, so far, has the majority of their basketball inventory shown on ESPN+ as ESPN needs paying subscribers for ESPN+ which is their growth engine and ESPN does not have the capacity to show all of the Big 12 games. Going forward, it's unclear how many B12 basketball games will be shown on linear channels as the contract will be split by ESPN and FOX, but ESPN will show the Big 12 conference championship.
Don't bother explaining again, the same people will keep doom posting on the big east regardless of the facts.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just getting a share of the college football playoff money is worth about 15 million per school. So we're Connecticut to take zero dollars to join the Big Ten, it would still be making 3 1/2 times the money it makes now in the Big East.

Reaction Score
Yes- that is absolutely true but Uconn won't be in B1G 10 anytime soon. I think Uconn's best shot at getting out of football purgatory is finding a way into ACC.
There is no money being an independent and highly recruited HS players want to be on National TV on Saturday -

CL82

Reaction Score
Yes- that is absolutely true but Uconn won't be in B1G 10 anytime soon. I think Uconn's best shot at getting out of football purgatory is finding a way into ACC.
There is no money being an independent and highly recruited HS players want to be on National TV on Saturday -
Yep. The only way it would happen was if the Big Ten decided that basketball national championships mattered to them. But they are solely in the pursuit of money, it's hard to make a case for us.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
UConn has the same chances of getting into the ACC as they do for the Big 10: slim to none. The animus against UConn is less from the Big 12, so a football-less invite is remotely possible though maybe not probable. It's a hell of a hole for the school to climb out of, and those kids on the team deserve better (it would help immensely if they played better too).

Reaction Score

Then UConn should get more than DePaul. Why should they get equal shares of tevelesion revenue?

Reaction Score
Here's who SMU plays most over the next 7 years:

Cal 7x
Stanford 7x
BC 4x
Syracuse 4x
GT 4x
Louisville 4x

Sure, they will have some home games with Clemson and FSU, but I don't think the ACC schedule will move the needle that much over the LT. Look at the last 2 years. SMU has had >30k fans for 1 game, against a local school TCU. In 2022, they had 26.5k for Lamar, 35.6k for TCU, 24.8k for Navy, 23.6k for Cincy, 23.8k for Houston, and 15.8k for Memphis. And, those numbers are inflated. You would have thought with that home schedule that they would have sold more season tickets coming off an 8-4 season....nope. If SMU was going to the Big 12 and playing Houston/TCU/Baylor/Texas Tech/Oklahoma St., that would have helped attendance.

SMU does not have a large fan base at all and they are an afterthought in Dallas/Texas even during the Pony Express time period. What they do have is wealthy alumni.
This could work out to be the best of both worlds for SMU. First it will be playing in the ACC which is a huge upgrade over the AAC even if in name only. Second that's a pretty soft slate for a what used to be a power conference. SMU can come out of the Chute with winning records and I don't know about the SMU fan base in them parts but winning goes a long way. If it's sitting there in the top half of the conference playing Clemson or FSU, that's a mighty big draw. Being mediocre in the AAC is one thing. But start winning games in the ACC and there is a big upside.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If it is $4m per team for hoops the athletic department is sunk.

You know, I don't totally disagree with you but by the same token the AD as whole (with the exception of maybe football coaches salaries) has done nothing but double and triple down on investment in programs and facilities.

It seems like there's either been approval to run a massive deficit or just a complete lack of fiscal responsibility in funding a Hockey East program and building a new stadium, building new baseball, soccer, and softball stadiums, finishing the hoops facility and paying Hurley a top 5 or so coaching salary, etc. The list goes on.

I only care about men's hoops and football, so to me, there's a lot of fat they could have potentially cut and have elected not to.

Something has to give right?

Reaction Score
I appreciate your opinion, but you’re not considering the fact that UConn is a national brand, especially in basketball where we would be the top program in the B1G.

Reaction Score
Interesting that FSU would even think Indy. I am sure they explored what Norte Dame does. They just can’t do it. Why would ACC keep them around? I still wonder when the dam is gonna break and BC/Syracuse etc. are going to get knocked down for taking FSU and Clemson’s money?

The days of pooling money is over. I think teams that don’t bring in anything are going to see their shares drop even more soon.

CL82

Reaction Score
Interesting that FSU would even think Indy. I am sure they explored what Norte Dame does. They just can’t do it. Why would ACC keep them around? I still wonder when the dam is gonna break and BC/Syracuse etc. are going to get knocked down for taking FSU and Clemson’s money?

The days of pooling money is over. I think teams that don’t bring in anything are going to see their shares drop even more soon.
As long as there are easy revenue streams that can be attacked to increase net income, the BCU's of the world are momentarily safe. Eventually, though, they won't be.

I wonder if the next move will be for some of the P * teams to establish their own tournament with higher payouts to participants. But if that's viewed is too cumbersome, then yeah reducing the shares of the deadweight in conferences would seem to be the next logical alternative, moving toward an eventual paring of the flotsam residing among the current P* universities.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Keep in mind they would have to be indy in EVERYTHING too. Imagine our scheduling issues on an AD-wide scale

Reaction Score
Keep in mind they would have to be indy in EVERYTHING too. Imagine our scheduling issues on an AD-wide scale
They’d have no problem finding a non-FBS conference to stash their non-football sports in… the problem for them is revenue replacement, even if they got enough to replace their football spending their other sports would have funding struggles.

Reaction Score
They’d have no problem finding a non-FBS conference to stash their non-football sports in… the problem for them is revenue replacement, even if they got enough to replace their football spending their other sports would have funding struggles.

How so?

If they get $30M or better from an Indy Football contract and then plop their sports in someplace like the Big East haven’t they equaled or bettered their payout?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom